Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#300309 - 11/03/21 09:35 PM Re: Lost hiker ignored rescue calls from unknown tel# [Re: paulr]
dougwalkabout Online   confused
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I've found that the impact on battery life depends on your distance to a tower. The phones I have used will burn battery like crazy to connect to a fringe or intermittent signal.

The other part is: the last thing I want to do on a hike in wilderness is to hear or answer any damn phone call at all, unless it's someone I know and I think it might be a critical situation. I'm out there to purge that rubbish from my mind. It completely destroys the re-sync, the rhythm, the reset. Otherwise I might as well hike in a shopping mall. My 2c.

#300316 - 11/04/21 02:28 PM Re: Lost hiker ignored rescue calls from unknown tel# [Re: paulr]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I still have to put our phones in airplane mode when we are on the farm in WV or they will keep trying to connect to towers and drain the battery real quick.

The whole not answering the phone thing will be different per person. I was just saying I can relate because I get less than 10 legit real calls per year and 10 or more spam calls a week. Its made using my phone as a phone useless, its not about the time taken, its knowing that any call I get isn't a call I want.

#300318 - 11/04/21 08:37 PM Re: Lost hiker ignored rescue calls from unknown tel# [Re: Eugene]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: Eugene
I still have to put our phones in airplane mode when we are on the farm in WV or they will keep trying to connect to towers and drain the battery real quick.

The whole not answering the phone thing will be different per person. I was just saying I can relate because I get less than 10 legit real calls per year and 10 or more spam calls a week. Its made using my phone as a phone useless, its not about the time taken, its knowing that any call I get isn't a call I want.

+1. Plus, if you answer spam calls the spammer knows there's a human at the end and you get even more calls. The guy had no idea anyone was searching for him and no reason to answer his phone. I virtually never get a real call from someone not in my contact list.

#300320 - 11/06/21 08:08 PM Re: Lost hiker ignored rescue calls from unknown tel# [Re: Eugene]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
Originally Posted By: Eugene
Originally Posted By: Ren

Once have the hikers phone number and a message to send, it can be automated, until get a response.
Spammers/scammers can't hide their phone number.

Thats what they said about caller ID when it first came out. Nothing is 100% secure, its only a matter of time before whatever system is used becomes hacked/abused.

But still doesn't fix the original issue of the hiker not answering, so he sees a number coming in on a 'secure' service and doesn't recognize it, would he have answered it?

If the hiker doesn't answer then search and rescue have to assume you require rescuing, and get a team to start a search.
Only answering and saying you are ok is going to get them to stand down.

So not answering your phone causes other people hassle, so if not going to answer regular phone calls, perhaps you should put some effort in.

Edited by Ren (11/06/21 08:09 PM)

#300321 - 11/07/21 03:38 AM Re: Lost hiker ignored rescue calls from unknown tel# [Re: Ren]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country

If the hiker doesn't answer then search and rescue have to assume you require rescuing, and get a team to start a search.

So not answering your phone causes other people hassle, so if not going to answer regular phone calls, perhaps you should put some effort in.

But how is the hiker supposed to know that? Short of being psychic anyways!

#300323 - 11/07/21 04:03 PM Re: Lost hiker ignored rescue calls from unknown tel# [Re: paulr]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
So it seems that SAR should do both.

1) First, call and leave a message if no answer. The message should contain the name of the person that instigated the search. That person presumably would be someone the hiker knows, so the hiker would infer that it is not spam.

2) Also send a text message containing the same info as in 1 above.

This doesn't require any special equipment, and since each action contains either a recording, or text message they should get through eventually (if the hiker's phone is turned off at the time, presumably the hiker will turn it on again and the messages will get through).

#300325 - 11/07/21 05:16 PM Re: Lost hiker ignored rescue calls from unknown tel# [Re: Phaedrus]
Ren Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus

But how is the hiker supposed to know that? Short of being psychic anyways!

Maybe don't give your cell phone out to just anyone and certain no businesses. If you are plagued by marketing calls, get a cheap second phone keep the number to just close family & friends.

Or get a two way satellite messenger.

#300326 - 11/07/21 06:56 PM Re: Lost hiker ignored rescue calls from unknown tel# [Re: Ren]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Maybe don't give your cell phone out to just anyone and certain no businesses. If you are plagued by marketing calls, get a cheap second phone keep the number to just close family & friends.

Or get a two way satellite messenger.

I haven't given mine out, they figure them out eventually.

#300327 - 11/07/21 11:42 PM Re: Lost hiker ignored rescue calls from unknown tel# [Re: paulr]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Keeping your number secret sadly does not work. I have a number I have never given ANYONE that gets five or so junk calls per day.

#300328 - 11/08/21 12:40 AM Re: Lost hiker ignored rescue calls from unknown tel# [Re: paulr]
Ren Offline
Addict

Does over here. Have a mobile for family & friends for few years now, and not had a single marketing call on it.

Do not give your private cell number to any business, chance it'll get sold to scammers.

Edited by Ren (11/08/21 12:41 AM)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.