Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#300280 - 10/28/21 09:54 PM Re: Lost hiker ignored rescue calls from unknown tel# [Re: paulr]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
First thought is that could move the whole thing to secure messaging, half the problem they deal with being reasonably sure whom you are talking to.

Parks/SAR shares contact info, so if later receive a message from SAR would be confident it was authentic.

#300294 - 10/31/21 09:28 PM Re: Lost hiker ignored rescue calls from unknown tel# [Re: paulr]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Define secure messaging? I haven't see one comprehensive system that everyone can use. There are plenty of companies selling their own "secure messaging service" but no one system everyone can use.

#300295 - 10/31/21 09:43 PM Re: Lost hiker ignored rescue calls from unknown tel# [Re: paulr]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
The secure communications app Signal isn’t perfect but in my professional opinion it’s the best choice out there for regular folks. No affiliation.

#300297 - 11/01/21 02:22 AM Re: Lost hiker ignored rescue calls from unknown tel# [Re: paulr]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

What I mean though, is how do you get everyone to use the same app? If SAR in one place used signal, and SAR somewhere else uses something else.

#300301 - 11/01/21 12:12 PM Re: Lost hiker ignored rescue calls from unknown tel# [Re: Eugene]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Eugene
What I mean though, is how do you get everyone to use the same app? If SAR in one place used signal, and SAR somewhere else uses something else.

An excellent point.

I think we’re best off educating people on what to do if they get lost.

#300302 - 11/01/21 01:39 PM Re: Lost hiker ignored rescue calls from unknown tel# [Re: Eugene]
Ren Offline
Addict

SAR doesn't need to use just one. They can try and get it in touch using any.

Signal & WhatsApp use the phone number as the identifier. So as long as they know the hikers number. They can try get in touch over both.

#300303 - 11/01/21 03:36 PM Re: Lost hiker ignored rescue calls from unknown tel# [Re: Ren]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Ren

Signal & WhatsApp use the phone number as the identifier. So as long as they know the hikers number. They can try get in touch over both.

You would need another SAR person just to try calling on all the different apps.

Any that assumes spammers/scammers don't figure out a why to call with those as well and the callee doesn't just ignore those too.

#300304 - 11/01/21 06:06 PM Re: Lost hiker ignored rescue calls from unknown tel# [Re: Eugene]
Ren Offline
Addict

You would need another SAR person just to try calling on all the different apps.

Any that assumes spammers/scammers don't figure out a why to call with those as well and the callee doesn't just ignore those too.

Once have the hikers phone number and a message to send, it can be automated, until get a response.
Spammers/scammers can't hide their phone number.

Edited by Ren (11/01/21 06:08 PM)

#300305 - 11/02/21 02:52 PM Re: Lost hiker ignored rescue calls from unknown tel# [Re: Ren]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Once have the hikers phone number and a message to send, it can be automated, until get a response.
Spammers/scammers can't hide their phone number.

Thats what they said about caller ID when it first came out. Nothing is 100% secure, its only a matter of time before whatever system is used becomes hacked/abused.

But still doesn't fix the original issue of the hiker not answering, so he sees a number coming in on a 'secure' service and doesn't recognize it, would he have answered it?

#300306 - 11/03/21 11:23 AM Re: Lost hiker ignored rescue calls from unknown tel# [Re: Eugene]
NAro Offline
Addict

Perhaps I'm "underthinking" this, but some of the suggestions sound apt to increase risk of introducing bumps in the system. I too am annoyed by spam calls. However, because of what I do for a living I must answer all calls even if I don't recognize the number and even if my phone notes that it is "potential spam." Some of those flagged calls were in fact appropriate and important. It takes only a moment to answer, then disconnect if the call is BS. I can't imagine any significant impact on the hiker's battery life if they did that.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.