Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#300212 - 10/15/21 07:16 PM Tips for kid's first night in a tent.
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
I'm trying to get my kids to camp out somewhere that doesn't involve the couch and a TV. But, I'm getting a serious"Lions, and tigers, and bears, oh no." pushback. Any ideas on how to make the first night in a tent easier?

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#300213 - 10/15/21 07:27 PM Re: Tips for kid's first night in a tent. [Re: Mark_R]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
As someone who had a miserable experience, here are some dos and don'ts.

Don't camp in the winter or any other time when it's cold.

When you expect someone to hammer tent stakes into the ground, make sure a hammer is available.

Before pitching the tent, first check the ground for sticks, tree roots, or anything else that can poke into the person sleeping in the tent.

Jeanette Isabelle

#300214 - 10/15/21 07:36 PM Re: Tips for kid's first night in a tent. [Re: Mark_R]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
If at all possible, avoid squeezing three kids into a two-person tent.

Jeanette Isabelle

#300215 - 10/15/21 07:54 PM Re: Tips for kid's first night in a tent. [Re: Mark_R]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
It depends on the age of the kids.
If you have a suitable backyard, start it there and make aborting an option.
Let them pitch the tent. Assist as much as neccessary - no more, no less.
Involve some fun activity that gets them tired.
A camp fire or a twig stove for preparing a meal or toasting marshmellows is no mistake. If you decide to toast marshmellows, make sure to have enough of them. It´s no fun to run out. Leftovers can be used for breakfast.
If possible select a time without rain. Make sure that the tent does not leak - just in case it rains anyway.
The morning after is important.
Have a nice breakfast ready for the after action briefing. Maybe use the camp fire or the twig stove for preparing it.

#300216 - 10/15/21 08:29 PM Re: Tips for kid's first night in a tent. [Re: Mark_R]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
We started our kids fairly young in the back yard. With s’mores. Those were critical.

When we started car camping we’d ironed out some of the difficulties (more comfortable sleeping pads, a warmer sleeping bag, who slept where, having all required stuffed animals in place). Mrs. Magnet is a genius cook and had made a really delicious campfire meal, which was much appreciated. There were other kids nearby and ours were equipped with headlamps and allowed to run around and get worn out playing. At bed time, we ran into one unanticipated challenge: the campsite was dramatically darker outside than our back yard. I had a flashlight in my pocket that I set to Moonlight mode and clipped near the top of the tent, and that got it done.

#300240 - 10/19/21 04:51 PM Re: Tips for kid's first night in a tent. [Re: Mark_R]
Michael2 Offline
Journeyman

I'd look for a nearby state park that's not too long a drive away - so as to arrive in daytime - that has some kid-friendly naturalist programs, other families in neighboring camp sites with kids in tents (to provide role models) and that has familiar-looking flush toilets and sinks in the bathrooms.

#300241 - 10/20/21 01:31 PM Re: Tips for kid's first night in a tent. [Re: Michael2]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
you might consider an aluminim "foil pack" menu... let the kids assemble their own meals and keep in the cooler...

the classic is a burger patty between upper and lower layer of sliced potato,onion, a little olive oil, seasoning... tightly wrapped in a foil pouch... tongs or pliers to retrieve from the fire...

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 186 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.