The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#299613 - 08/05/21 09:57 PM Paracord discussion
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
A versatile, useful outdoor/survival staple is 550 paracord - 550 i the rated nominal strength in pounds and paracord refers to its original use in parachutes. It is comprised of inner white nylon strands, encased in a woven outer sheath. Th heath comes in a variety of colors, from bright to camo. There is at least one variety with reflective strands.

Nowadays there are several versions with a strand of flammable material, red in all the versions i have seen, and evidently there is another variety with an added strand of wire, presumably for making snares and the like.

I am of the persuasion that you can never have (almost) too many ways to achieve fire n I have adorned my packs and bags with zipper pulls, etc, fashioned from the fire starting types. Eventually it occurred to test these in advance of a crunch time situation to see how well they performed.

i have tried three different brands. They all seem to have a red strand which performs about the same. They light fairly easily and burn about like an ordinary match. They are quite susceptible to snuffing in mild winds. The red strands will not blaze up like gasoline or alcohol, but will support ignition of small tinder - twigs, pine needles, or similar.
Definite useful since you can hardly have too many ways to ignite stuff.

Aside from its fire potential, paracord is quite versatile -everything from shoelaces to clothesline to lashing tarps, just about anything where you want a light, reasonably strong cord. However, they have absolutely no place in any situation where human life is supported by cordage - technical rock or ice climbing or rescue systems involving rope. I have seen paracord suggested for use as rappel rope. this has ben tried in the past and people have died. Such advocacy is the height of irresponsibility.

Within it limits, p cord is a very hand, useful item. What other uses have you tried successfully?

#299619 - 08/06/21 12:58 AM Re: Paracord discussion [Re: hikermor]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
Atwood Rope make 550 in over 400 colour/pattern combinations.
https://atwoodrope.com/collections/550-paracord

And their survival cord has waxed jute.
https://atwoodrope.com/products/parapocalypse
US made, and have heard inexpensive Chinese made pskook brand paracord is ok for fire lighting (also is a red strand).

Been meaning to make a lanyard/necklace out of some, with a whistle, ferro rod, and swiss army knife and see how get on carrying it.

#299623 - 08/06/21 01:13 AM Re: Paracord discussion [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I use paracord primarily for ridgelines to hang a tarp and for general utility. So far I haven't tried the specialty types with a firestarting thread but I have meant to.

#299628 - 08/06/21 07:49 AM Re: Paracord discussion [Re: hikermor]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

I personally never really get the point of paracord. Carrying dedicated items seems to do the job better, while barely taking any more space.

I don't want to take cord apart to use bits of it. I don't want to do it when i just want to sewn and I'm sure it's challenge to do so when i need a fire. Taking paracord with numb vingers to get to the tinder seems less then optimal when i'm near hyperthermia.

Certain things are better when carried as seperate items.

As laces, they don't seem to grip the knots as well and not that abrassive resistant.

For constructing things in the wilderness I much prefer twine for being biodegradable, cheap and strong enough.

#299633 - 08/06/21 01:00 PM Re: Paracord discussion [Re: hikermor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

You make some valid points and I tend to agree with you, but the waxed cord in paracord offers redundancy, which I favor when it comes to a crucial activity like fire starting.

It has been many years since I have faced a significant challenge with fires. Twenty years ago, I adopted canister stoves, which are fine for moderate to low altitudes. But if I am ever up against it, I want lots of options.

There are numerous alternatives to pcard; one of my favorites is braided mason's twine, significantly lighter and strong enough for moderate uses - clothes line, lashing, and the like.

Funny that no one has mention pcord bracelets, which I consider one of the dumbest ideas ever....

#299634 - 08/06/21 01:22 PM Re: Paracord discussion [Re: hikermor]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK

Similarly with paracord belts. If have to use the cord for something, what's going to hold up your pants.

#299635 - 08/06/21 02:15 PM Re: Paracord discussion [Re: hikermor]
wolffromwv Offline
Stranger

Can you still use a torch to melt the ends of the paracord that has the fire starter inside?

#299636 - 08/06/21 03:14 PM Re: Paracord discussion [Re: hikermor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I have done that successfully. The red cord isn't all that volatile. I have always extracted the cord from the sheath to use it as tinder.

#300009 - 09/12/21 01:55 PM Re: Paracord discussion [Re: hikermor]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
I have used paracord to make a net...... not for survival but for volley ball! More just for the 'I can do this' aspect but we DID need a net. Made it the day before we had gotten together. Worked well. Learned a lot about net making in that one project.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.