Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#299353 - 07/15/21 11:14 PM Where do you order your stuff these days?
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I need to update and buy a few things, and I want to avoid giving all my money to one gigantic online store. So help me out here: where do you order your emergency stuff these days?

#299354 - 07/15/21 11:43 PM Re: Where do you order your stuff these days? [Re: Bingley]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Sadly, Amazon.
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#299355 - 07/16/21 12:32 AM Re: Where do you order your stuff these days? [Re: Bingley]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Mostly Amazon. Occasionally Cabela's. No longer REI.

#299356 - 07/16/21 01:03 AM Re: Where do you order your stuff these days? [Re: Bingley]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

I generally shop around to see who's cheapest including shipping. More often than I'd like, it's Amazon given we do Prime. Although, sometimes the cost even with prime is more than other sites with free or inexpensive shipping.

On the plus side, as I use AmazonSmile, Knife Rights Foundation also gets a 0.5% donation for almost all the money I spend there.

Details for anyone interested.

Shop Amazon with AmazonSmile at smile.amazon.com/ch/74-3197994, or with AmazonSmile switched "ON" in the Amazon Shopping app, and AmazonSmile donates to Knife Rights Foundation, Inc.

To sign up for AmazonSmile supporting Knife Rights Foundation, Inc., sign up on your web browser. Go to Amazon.com and simply select AmazonSmile and then select Knife Rights Foundation Inc. to start generating donations, at no cost to you.

To use the app for AmazonSmile, download or update to the latest version of the Amazon Shopping app on your phone. You can find it in the App Store for iOS or Google Play for Android.

Then just turn on AmazonSmile by opening the app and find "Settings" in the main menu (☰). Tap on "AmazonSmile" and follow the on-screen instructions to turn on AmazonSmile on your phone.

Edited by Doug_Ritter (07/16/21 01:04 AM)
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#299357 - 07/16/21 03:20 AM Re: Where do you order your stuff these days? [Re: Bingley]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I forgot to mention, I often times check the manufacturer's website for direct sale if I find something on Amazon. Quite often I find that the Amazon price with "free" Prime shipping is almost identical to the manufacturer's lower price with normal shipping charges. Amazon is just burying shipping charges into the base price.

This is not always the case, and you will indeed find some things cheaper on Amazon than the manufacturer's site.

Also, for things where the newest version is good but previous versions are maybe not as good - I buy those direct from the manufacturer to avoid potential issues of older product from Amazon. This is not usually an issue for emergency/survival/prep gear which this thread is about - more so for electronics. But I do not always trust Amazon to deliver the latest and greatest version (more so their third party sellers).

Generally, I usually buy either from a large company (Amazon, Cabela's, etc.) or directly from the manufacturer. I admit to rarely buying from small businesses (except locally - I actually seek out small businesses in my neighborhood). I have been disappointed several times to get a shipment of obviously used/returned merchandise from small shops. You can't blame them all for bad practices like this, but it does give you pause after you've been bitten by this on multiple ocassions.

#299379 - 07/19/21 12:17 AM Re: Where do you order your stuff these days? [Re: Bingley]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Most of my supplies come from Sam's Club, followed by Chinook Medical Gear.

Jeanette Isabelle

#299401 - 07/20/21 02:30 PM Re: Where do you order your stuff these days? [Re: Bingley]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
I've purchased some supplies from these guys...
https://www.rescue-essentials.com/

The pre-packaged kits fit a need I had and the quality was excellent.

Overall, I've been using Amazon for 'ideas' and then sourcing the actual purchase of the product direct from the vendor when I can thus bypassing Amazon or I'll try to find a local source. I have to admit however, for some things it's just quicker and easier to get some things from Amazon (while holding my nose!)...

#299985 - 09/10/21 05:53 PM Re: Where do you order your stuff these days? [Re: Bingley]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
Sometimes I find good stuff at sierra.com

#299986 - 09/10/21 06:36 PM Re: Where do you order your stuff these days? [Re: Bingley]
paulr Offline
Addict

I try to avoid buying anything from amazon. I've gotten some stuff from countycomm.com and more recently illumn.com (flashlight stuff) and meh.com (sort of a successor to woot). There is also sometimes worthwhile stuff at Harbor Freight and REI, or better yet, local shops such as hardware stores.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.