The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#299872 - 09/02/21 10:29 AM Re: Hurricane Ida - Aug. 2021 [Re: dougwalkabout]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
UK media are reporting "at least nine lives lost" in exceptionally severe flooding in and near New York city.

Shocking scenes of water flooding into underground Metro stations.

State of emergency declared.

news report, youtube.

#299876 - 09/03/21 08:16 AM Re: Hurricane Ida - Aug. 2021 [Re: Blast]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

If possible Blast, can you describe the hardest part of managing a shelter, in addition to being awake 8 pm - 8 am.

Also, do you have medical staff or medically trained volunteers ?

Thanks

#299877 - 09/03/21 08:57 AM Re: Hurricane Ida - Aug. 2021 [Re: Blast]
paulr Offline
Addict

This sounds horrific. Please keep everyone as safe and healthy as possible. In particular, keep the area as well ventilated as possible (run fans 24/7 if you can) since this many people in one place sounds like a Covid super spreader, besides having the hurricane to deal with. Ouch. Wear an N95 respirator (not one of those crappy surgical masks) and eye protection (normal glasses are fine) whenever you're around victims, and if you can get a medic to give you a 3rd vaccine shot (assuming you've had your original two more than a few months ago), I'd do that.

Edited by paulr (09/03/21 08:58 AM)

#299901 - 09/04/21 08:30 AM Re: Hurricane Ida - Aug. 2021 [Re: paulr]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Great suggestions.
People helping others should not forget themselves. Although Blast is far more knowledgeable than I am in prepping, there is no harm in reminding him and others to take supplements (multivitamins ..etc.) to boost his immune system.

I remember the days we were caring for our elderly dad, my older brother started showing signs of poor health and I emphasized to him to take enough rest, multivitamin tablets and be extra careful with cleaning dad's bed-related blisters.

Your job , serving survivors in these conditions, requires that you take extra care of yourself.

God bless.

#299930 - 09/06/21 02:28 AM Re: Hurricane Ida - Aug. 2021 [Re: Chisel]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: Chisel
If possible Blast, can you describe the hardest part of managing a shelter, in addition to being awake 8 pm - 8 am.
Also, do you have medical staff or medically trained volunteers ?

The shelter I normally serve at (3 activations so far) has approximately 100 trained volunteers and can serve 150 clients at any given moment. Daytime shifts have 12-14 people and the overnight shifts usually have 7-10 volunteers. Roles include registration, dormitory, kitchen, animal handlers, and public relations. People may be trained to do these different roles but only do one per shift. We have a troop of Boy Scouts to set up the cots and take initial inventory...getting everything ready to go within four hours. There are three hot meals each day, two snack tables set up for clients and volunteers, and endless amounts of coffee, cokes, and other drinks. We have a RN 24 hours a day and usually a MD during the daylight hours. Also, two police officers at all times.

I arrived at the shelter in Orange, TX on Sunday afternoon. There was only one other volunteer there. She had arrived on Saturday afternoon and started setting cots and taking inventory of supplies. When I got there she was practically in tears because she was overwhelmed. I spent the next five hours setting up cots while she counted all the supplies. The Red Cross wants a twice-daily update one what the shelters have. A 3rd volunteer arrived around 8pm and we worked through the night getting things ready. Clients began arriving the following morning. We didn't have any breakfast available so we bought a bunch of snack cakes from the nearby Dollar General. I ended up being the "trained medic" and we never had more than five volunteers present. Two law enforcement officers would come through every 4-6 hours. We had no coffee, coffee maker, or even a microwave to reheat food. frown

So, before the Orange, TX shelter experience I would say the hardest part is dealing with people suffering emotional breakdowns from the disaster or have gone off their psych-drugs. The second hardest is dealing with people who want to bring their animals into the shelter, against Red Cross rules. The third is the constant cleaning of bathrooms and showers because a lot of people are filthy pigs. The fourth is telling local do-gooders that we can't accept their bags of used clothing because we don't have the space or people available to do anything with it. Fifth is the endless counting of inventoried goods.

After being stationed at the Orange shelter I would say the hardest part is trying do the work of five people non-stop without coffee...while dealing with all the stuff I already mentioned. I had assumed Red Cross shelters were like McDonalds...identical across the nation. It was eye-opening to see this isn't the case.

The Red Cross is mostly just an organization that organizes stuff. They supply cots, toiletry kits, and blankets. Everything else is supplied by grocery stores, restaurants, clinics, etc that the Red Cross contracts with to supply the shelters. The Orange, TX location was a secondary shelter, only activated when other shelters are getting overrun. No contracts with supporting companies were in place. A person at the Washington D.C. was calling restaurants around the area to try and get us food but in the three days I was there the only hot food we got was some pasta bowls from Domino's pizza for supper one evening.

None of the other volunteers I was working with were from Texas or Louisiana. They were all retires that spend their days being sent from shelter to shelter, dealing with disasters all around the USA.

-Blast

Edited by Blast (09/06/21 02:37 AM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#299931 - 09/06/21 02:35 AM Re: Hurricane Ida - Aug. 2021 [Re: Chisel]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: Chisel
Great suggestions.
People helping others should not forget themselves. Although Blast is far more knowledgeable than I am in prepping, there is no harm in reminding him and others to take supplements (multivitamins ..etc.) to boost his immune system.

Not only do I take supplements, I started my own line, Medicine Man Plant Co., back in January of 2020! grin
The Immune Pill and The Brain Pill got me through the adventure. We were also required to be N95-masked at all times, hand sanitizer was everywhere, and I was constantly wiping everything down with beach. Everyone coming in had their temperature taken and we had a special area set up for potential Covid patients.
-Blast

Edited by Blast (09/06/21 02:41 AM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#299966 - 09/08/21 05:54 PM Re: Hurricane Ida - Aug. 2021 [Re: Blast]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Truly humbling, Blast !

Respect.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.