The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 15 >
Topic Options
#297706 - 12/06/20 03:28 PM Re: Any shortages where you are? [Re: TeacherRO]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Here in the UK, shotguns are relatively easy to obtain, and ammunition is plentiful.
Lawful private ownership of rifles is rare, and lawful private ownership of handguns almost unknown, so ammo supplies not relevant.

Moving to other supplies there are still local shortages of toilet paper, cleaning products and some canned goods. No generalised shortage though.
Turkeys are very commonly eaten at Christmas, and some reports suggest a glut of these birds (fewer large family gatherings) whilst other reports suggest a shortage for some not clearly defined reason.

Firewood is in short supply and expensive. Propane is much less used here than in the USA but supplies seem adequate. I purchased three large portable cylinders each of 19 kilos without problems.
Coal is less used these days, but is readily available.

#297707 - 12/07/20 02:28 AM Re: Any shortages where you are? [Re: TeacherRO]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Our stocking up has been limited to ensuring that we have a two week supply of real essentials (medical, food) in the event we have to quarantine. And we did have to do so once a few months ago due to a potential contact.

Beyond that we haven't seen too many shortages. We buy a lot online, partially due to our remote location. Lately I've been feeling bad about how much of it is via Amazon. No doubt some online purchases, such as a table saw and a miter saw have been to avoid going to big stores (with a perceived higher virus risk). It is amazing what can be purchased online. Heck, I recently bought a 60 inch PTO driven snowblower for my tractor online. Amazing.

#297708 - 12/07/20 02:54 AM Re: Any shortages where you are? [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
TP & paper towels have seen sporadic shortages the last week or so. Costco here has been cleaned out but the closest supermarket to me is fully stocked. Dish soap has also been kind of variable, which seems odd but most of the panic buying doesn't make sense. I live by myself so it's pretty easy to be "stocked up" on most stuff, at least stuff that's not perishable.

#297709 - 12/07/20 03:41 AM Re: Any shortages where you are? [Re: TeacherRO]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Where I live, we're suffering a shortage of personal responsibility and self-discipline right now. C'mon, fellow citizens, show a little backbone!

/end rant

#297722 - 12/07/20 10:35 PM Re: Any shortages where you are? [Re: TeacherRO]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
WRT the shortage of dish soap, this might be not very rational panic buying, or alternatively production may have been curtailed.
Many manufacturers produce a range of cleaning and hygiene products, and I consider it possible that production of dish soap may have been limited in order to free up factory space and staff for hand sanitiser production.

#297725 - 12/07/20 11:28 PM Re: Any shortages where you are? [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Yeah, I suppose that could be. I stocked up a little, not a ton. In "normal" time when there's all the soap you could carry, I tend to buy a bottle when I'm almost out. But now when I find it I usually buy two bottles at a time.

#297726 - 12/08/20 06:58 AM Re: Any shortages where you are? [Re: Phaedrus]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
I tend to buy a bottle when I'm almost out. But now when I find it I usually buy two bottles at a time.

Regardless of prepping mentality or the circumstances, I think it is wise to buy a few more than we need. It saves time and frustration. If you have a pantry or enough space , it is wise to have your own "store" at home, especially for non perishable items like soap ..etc.

Sometimes, you are not in the mood to go out, or the roads are congested for a reason or another, or the weather... etc. There are a million reasons that we should store a few extra of everything. Find a balanced level that is suitable for your lifestyle and size of your family, and I think no one will regret having a few things stashed in the pantry.

During the pandemic lockdown, two of the kitchen appliances broke down. When things eased a bit, I bought TWO of each.

#297728 - 12/08/20 09:17 AM Re: Any shortages where you are? [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I agree but in "normal" times it's not a big deal to me (with dish soap that is). It gets used at a pretty steady predictable level so it's unlikely that I'll be surprised to run out. But yeah, in this "new normal" I tend to stock up more on everything than I used to.

#297731 - 12/08/20 01:32 PM Re: Any shortages where you are? [Re: TeacherRO]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
We never stopped limiting TP & PT in many places here.
(Southeast PA)

#298877 - 04/22/21 01:26 AM Re: Any shortages where you are? [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

No shortages at the local grocery store...

Page 4 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 15 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 253 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.