Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#299615 - 08/05/21 10:28 PM Planning for your death
Bingley Offline
Veteran

This is not really a "survival" topic, but I am guessing that us preparation types do not limit ourselves to preparing to survive. We also prepare to die. So perhaps I can get good advice here. I'm assuming a non-emergency, peacetime situation.

Let's say you have a will that says who gets what. Now you have a house full of junk. How can you organize it to make things easier for the executor?

Also, how do people handle the numerous digital accounts? They include stuff like phone, internet, and power, as well as Amazon Prime, Netflix, email, PayPal, bank, etc. Do you write down all your passwords and send them to the executor? That seems like bad security. Is there a way for the executor to get all your passwords once you pass? (Get it?)

Thanks for your input in advance. Let me know if you find any online resources particularly useful. Extra credit for puns!

#299616 - 08/05/21 10:45 PM Re: Planning for your death [Re: Bingley]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I thought this was to be a thread on spiritual preparation.

Jeanette Isabelle

#299617 - 08/05/21 11:41 PM Re: Planning for your death [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I, indeed, have a houseful of junk. I am trying to assess items and if possible, give them away before my time, or at least, leave a list. it helps to ring the subject up and find out who would cherish which items.

As for the spiritual preparation, I'll pass......(What choice do I have? I certainly won't be able to run anymore)

#299618 - 08/05/21 11:57 PM Re: Planning for your death [Re: hikermor]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: hikermor
it helps to ring the subject up and find out who would cherish which items.

I don't know if this helps. When Dad died, I got several things, including his old drawing table, which I currently use as a computer desk.

Jeanette Isabelle

#299622 - 08/06/21 01:08 AM Re: Planning for your death [Re: Bingley]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Bingley
This is not really a "survival" topic, but I am guessing that us preparation types do not limit ourselves to preparing to survive.

Correct. This is on-topic for Around The Campfire.

chaosmagnet

#299624 - 08/06/21 01:14 AM Re: Planning for your death [Re: Bingley]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I have a will. My wife is to get everything if she’s around to collect. Otherwise, split evenly amongst the not-so-little-any-more Magnets.

I have a Drop Dead Envelope with critical information for online accounts, life insurance, and so on. It needs to be updated.

My will is silent with regard to specific belongings. I’d rather give my things to my children while I’m alive to see them enjoy the gifts. Maybe when I’m older I’ll feel differently about that.

#299625 - 08/06/21 01:16 AM Re: Planning for your death [Re: Bingley]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
So far I haven't done anything which I really should, having gone through this with other relatives. I'm not wealthy nor do I have any valuable assets that anyone would argue over. If I die before the my mother or siblings I don't think they'd have any trouble dividing my possessions; if I die after them then it won't matter what becomes of my stuff.

#299626 - 08/06/21 02:42 AM Re: Planning for your death [Re: chaosmagnet]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I have a Drop Dead Envelope with critical information for online accounts, life insurance, and so on.

Is this an actual paper envelope, or is it some sort of service on the internet? I feel like there must be a way to store encrypted files that, upon the presentation of a death certificate and a will, can be made available to the executor.

If I just leave a file or piece of paper with the passwords, I can see two problems easily. (1) Passwords change. (2) Some accounts may require multi-factor verification.

Like Chaos, I also came to the conclusion that leaving people things is not as good as leaving them memories or giving them things while we're all alive to enjoy said things.

#299629 - 08/06/21 07:56 AM Re: Planning for your death [Re: Bingley]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

How important is it to have access to the online accounts?

Death certificate works well to cancel things and gain access to the bankaccount (which is handy to find those subscriptions).

I'm even still doubting about a funeral insurer. I'll leave enough to cover that bill, but it might be easier for those that need to take care of it.

#299630 - 08/06/21 11:26 AM Re: Planning for your death [Re: Bingley]
NAro Offline
Addict

"I feel like there must be a way to store encrypted files that, upon the presentation of a death certificate and a will, can be made available to the executor."
Presentation of the death certificate to whom? If to some online service provider....good luck. That will delay probate for many months.
Consider something simple like giving your executor access to a password protected file on onedrive or google drive. BETTER YET, if your executor has a google drive or onedrive, let THEM give you access to the file on their drive.

"My will is silent with regard to specific belongings. I’d rather give my things to my children while I’m alive to see them enjoy the gifts. Maybe when I’m older I’ll feel differently about that."
I think that's great, but please don't die unexpectedly.

Per guidance from a Trust and Estate attorney: my will gives reference to items to be gifted according to tags on the items, or photo's of the item captioned "for xxxx" The Photos file is on the executor's Google drive, password protected, shared to me...so I can modify as I wish.

Edited by NAro (08/06/21 11:31 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 369 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.