Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#299230 - 07/02/21 08:47 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Something shoe box size ought to fit into a medium size waist pack and be mobile and also fairly inconspicuous....

#299231 - 07/02/21 10:25 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Keep in mind campuses have loads of resources; from on site health care & counselors to food shelves. Locating them early will save you some stress...

#299232 - 07/03/21 01:52 AM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
If the worst case scenario is The Big Shake, then it seems to me the biggest worries are egress from a damaged building and access to water.

Egress means tools. Indestructible flat prybar, at least 15" and with enough mass to chop/hammer. 10" Vise Grip with wire cutter. A hatchet likely won't be allowed for safety reasons.

Water: won't fit in a shoebox. When pressure is lost, where can residual treated water be found? I don't know the answer. I suspect raw water in CA may be pretty heavily loaded with agricultural chemical runoff, and worse after a shake.

Also not in shoebox, but ideal: a bug out location within walking distance, to known parties who have resources and can be trusted.

Kudos to papa for worrying. :-)

#299233 - 07/03/21 02:21 AM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Excellent recommendation on prybars. I keep several handy, including a 4' bar underneath my bed.

Good point about the scarcity of water after a big EQ. Even a very small bottle is way better than nothing....

I'll bet a college campus is a better than average place to deal with the aftermath. Perhaps it be worth a specific inquiries to the authorities about their disaster preps....

#299236 - 07/04/21 07:17 AM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I agree with hikermor -- colleges are often one of the major employers in town, and they have people to make & carry out emergency plans. They may be able to use their clout to create favorable conditions for survival. The campus safety office should know about the college's plan in case of an earthquake.

Regarding egress tools, can I get you guys to discuss your preparation a bit. I'm assuming you're talking about fire, partial collapse in an earthquake, etc.

What kind of long prybar is best? (I notice demolition bars with various hooks at the end. Never had a chance to use them.) Why a flat prybar?

Why go with a hatchet over a full size axe if you go with a long bar?

What is the intended application of the Vise Grip?

#299240 - 07/04/21 02:10 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Good questions. Remember that we're thinking "fits in a shoe box" which limits our options.

Compared to octagonal pry bars, I find a flat bar to be far more versatile for demolition (and nearly everything else. The ones I consistently reach for are 18" long (every extra inch of leverage counts).

This shows the general concept (not a brand recommendation). Many manufacturers make them.

A 10" vise grip with wire cutter is the original heavy duty multitool. (The 7" ones are excellent also, but the extra 3" of leverage makes a surprising difference.) In a pinch, it does nearly everything involving demolition or repair, multiplying the power of your arms my many times, and the grip of your fingers by 1000. I have yet to break one.

Edit: I suspect edged tools like hatchets would be banned on campuses. A hammer with a ripping style nail puller may or may not sneak by.

Edited by dougwalkabout (07/04/21 02:17 PM)

#299241 - 07/04/21 04:40 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Length, which directly relates to leverage force, is critical. My bedside prybar is as long as possible, since portability is not an issue. I don't think the different terminal configurations are vastly significant.

When portability is an issue, the prybar in Dougwalkabout's post reigns supreme. It is available in different sizes, down to keychain size, and they all are useful in many different contexts. I use them occasionally in archaeological and paleontological digs, among other uses....

#299248 - 07/05/21 12:19 AM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
Swiss Army Knife..... even just a small one.

#299257 - 07/05/21 04:02 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: CJK]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Why a hatchet? In confined or restricted space, a hatchet is more likely to be workable...

#299258 - 07/05/21 04:05 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I'm liking the idea of the prybar and vicegrips. They make me think a fencing pliers would also be a possibility. A hatchet isn't allowed and neither would an axe...plus the ax won't fit in a shoebox.

She already carries a Swiss Army Knife and has confirmed with the college that it's allowed.

The school is very small...less than 1500 students and is only a minor part of the town's economy.

Local and state maps in a Ziploc bag would be good. I need to mark the location of my brother-in-law's place, and hour away (by car).

Keep the ideas coming! smile
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.