Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#299420 - 07/21/21 04:52 PM Reading People
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Given the many misunderstandings in the Survivalists Boards combined with what I took to be odd statements about me in The Acorn Cafe (another Internet forum), a few miscommunications in this forum, and conflicts and arguments in the physical world, I have to ask myself if I'm the one who is unable to read people. If this assumption is correct (I cannot trust my judgment), I'm in a dangerous position.

Be honest. In all the years you have known me, have I exhibited questionable judgment or the inability to understand what a person is communicating to me?

Set aside that one incident in which one member (I forgot who) had to tell me several times I should get twelve rolls of CoFlex. I'm already aware that I needed a clue-by-four upside my head in that situation.

Jeanette Isabelle

#299428 - 07/22/21 05:35 AM Re: Reading People [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
Think the facts speak for themselves. People DO discuss things with you. They wouldn't if it was a waste of time.
Qjs

#299435 - 07/22/21 01:58 PM Re: Reading People [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Having an awareness that there may be a 'blind spot' is always a good thing I believe. I know that I've been misunderstood on several occasions on-line, in email and even in person.

The key, which I think you have discovered, is to be aware that it may or could happen so you can guard against it and if in doubt work on clarifying the exchange.

I've always enjoyed your insight and comments - sometimes they were a way of looking at something I had not considered and that was/is helpful. As the saying goes (sort of) Stuff Happens!

#299441 - 07/22/21 03:15 PM Re: Reading People [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I am a professional communicator; I make my daily bread as a cybersecurity sales engineer. I am paid to communicate complex technology concepts very clearly to both technical and non-technical people. I am also paid to be very attentive to people's understanding, interest, and so on. I've taken quite a bit of formal training in this area.

One of the coolest things about this work is that single day is a learning experience. I am always learning more about communication, both from my successes and my mistakes.

I can't say that you've never made mistakes -- that would be silly, we all have. But I think you've exhibited self-awareness and recognition that you (like all of us!) can always do better. That speaks well of you.

#299442 - 07/22/21 03:25 PM Re: Reading People [Re: chaosmagnet]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
But I think you've exhibited self-awareness and recognition that you (like all of us!) can always do better. That speaks well of you.

Thank you.

Jeanette Isabelle

#299447 - 07/22/21 07:13 PM Re: Reading People [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

People here aren't going to make you feel bad, especially not publicly. The responses above tactfully highlight the importance of self-awareness, and I feel that's because most of us can't pretend to know the answer because we don't know you in real life. Responsible people can't say much more than that.

I have noticed that you have some sort of difficulty from time to time. It seems to come and go, and it's gotta affect your quality of life. It is not communication. It is not questionable judgment, either. (Some of the stuff you prepare for might indicate "questionable judgment" from my perspective, but I think you're talking about judgment when interacting with people.) But these days people talk about communication because they can't always tackle what's underneath communication. I'd urge you to look for the source of the problem, perhaps with the help of experts in real life. I wish you well. Good luck.

#299448 - 07/22/21 07:36 PM Re: Reading People [Re: Bingley]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Bingley
I have noticed that you have some sort of difficulty from time to time. It seems to come and go, and it's gotta affect your quality of life.

But you don't know what that could be? Any information is helpful, and I know I need to be aware. Thank you.

Jeanette Isabelle

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.