Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#299437 - 07/22/21 02:27 PM Re: Is It Possible to Have Too Many Gauze Pads? [Re: pforeman]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: pforeman
However once that's done how about resupply?

The ten-count packages of 4" x 4", which I can "buy" with two credits each (I currently have 61 credits for this quarter), do not fit in my medical kit or EDC FAK. Therefore, they would be for home use only.

What I have for my medical kit and EDC FAK are the two-count packs of 3" x 3".

Jeanette Isabelle

#299439 - 07/22/21 02:54 PM Re: Is It Possible to Have Too Many Gauze Pads? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
GoatMan Offline

Is it possible to have too many gauze pads? Probably not.

Do you have a good supply...aka enough...gauze pads? Probably.

I would reckon you have more than most. I agree with Hikemor that using the gauze next to the actual wound is critical and using anything clean (even unsterile) on top of the gauze is okay.

You're not a hospital, nor do you need to be. You could stretch what you have a long time if you needed to and that is a decision you can proactively make at the time of the incident.

Practical & balanced preparedness will always get you further than excessive preps in isolated areas. Always plan/prepare in balance and don't get caught up in everything you read in various forums. Glad Equipped.org is pretty well balanced.

#299443 - 07/22/21 03:43 PM Re: Is It Possible to Have Too Many Gauze Pads? [Re: pforeman]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
You raise an interesting and pertinent question - resupply. For various reasons, let's say the corner drugstore is unavailable. But we have lots of clean bedsheets, etc. What is an acceptable protocol that would result in sterility?

I think I have hear somewhere that boiling for 5 minutes would do the job. Is this close?? What is better?

Edited by hikermor (07/22/21 03:44 PM)

#299444 - 07/22/21 04:10 PM Re: Is It Possible to Have Too Many Gauze Pads? [Re: hikermor]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Use a pressure cooker for boiling for higher temperature. Boiling the sheets may result in shrinkage. Be prepared to compensate for that.

#299445 - 07/22/21 04:45 PM Re: Is It Possible to Have Too Many Gauze Pads? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
DaveL Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Colorado Springs,CO
Excellent idea Max
Also when I was in a SAR group I carried a couple of feminine hygiene pads for large wounds

Edited by DaveL (07/22/21 04:49 PM)

#299446 - 07/22/21 06:07 PM Re: Is It Possible to Have Too Many Gauze Pads? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

After I get everything else I want, I will have five Credits to spend this quarter. A roll of CoFlex is three Credits. A 10 Count packet of 4" x 4" is two credits. I currently have thirteen rolls of CoFlex.

Do I need more CoFlex? I can either get a roll of CoFlex and a 10 Count packet of 4" x 4" or two 10 Count packets of 4" x 4" gauze.

Jeanette Isabelle

#299493 - 07/25/21 01:42 PM Re: Is It Possible to Have Too Many Gauze Pads? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

I ordered two more 10 Count packets of 4" x 4" with a current total of twelve 10 Count packets. I will get more credits at the beginning of the fourth quarter.

Jeanette Isabelle

#299532 - 07/28/21 06:54 PM Re: Is It Possible to Have Too Many Gauze Pads? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with any of the following companies other than I am a customer.

The following is not a complete list. I include this for you to understand better what first items I have.

(1) Custom Medical Kit
(1) EDC FAK
(3) Heavily Modified Total Resources International FAK
(25) 4" x 4" Gauze Pads
(100) 3" x 3" Gauze Pads
(100) 3" x 4" Non-Adherent Pads
(100) 1" x 3" Flex Fabric Adhesive Bandages

The following is my current supply of what I can "buy" with credits. In other words, I can get more of the following at no additional cost.

(3) Curad FAK https://curad.com/product/complete-first-aid-kit-175-count/
(7) Curad Would Care Kit https://curad.com/product/wound-care-kit-assorted-sizes-25-count/
(2) Ready Set Prevent Kits https://firstlinebenefits.com/products/ready-sets/
(1) 100 Count Box Latex Gloves
(5) 100 Count Box Nitrile Gloves
(12) 10 Count 4" x 4" Package Sterile Gauze Sponges
(13) 2" CoFlex
(6) 8 Fl OZ (236 mL) Hand Sanitizer
(20) 3" x 4" Non-Stick Pads
(50) 2" x 4" Plastic Adhesive Bandages
(100) Fingertip Flex-Fabric Adhesive Bandages
(100) Knuckle Flex-Fabric Adhesive Bandages
(80) .75" x 3" Plastic Adhesive Bandages
(5) 1" x 10 yds Cloth Tape
(3) 200 Box Count Alcohol Prep Pads
(3) 13 Oz Petroleum Jelly

I thought I had a 4 Ounce bottle of hydrogen peroxide, but it may have expired.

Is there any area I listed where I lack, especially regarding items I can get with credits?

Jeanette Isabelle

#299535 - 07/29/21 02:41 PM Re: Is It Possible to Have Too Many Gauze Pads? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
The following is my current supply of what I can "buy" with credits. In other words, I can get more of the following at no additional cost.

(3) Curad FAK https://curad.com/product/complete-first-aid-kit-175-count/
(7) Curad Would Care Kit https://curad.com/product/wound-care-kit-assorted-sizes-25-count/
(2) Ready Set Prevent Kits https://firstlinebenefits.com/products/ready-sets/
(1) 100 Count Box Latex Gloves
(5) 100 Count Box Nitrile Gloves
(12) 10 Count 4" x 4" Package Sterile Gauze Sponges
(13) 2" CoFlex
(6) 8 Fl OZ (236 mL) Hand Sanitizer
(20) 3" x 4" Non-Stick Pads
(50) 2" x 4" Plastic Adhesive Bandages
(100) Fingertip Flex-Fabric Adhesive Bandages
(100) Knuckle Flex-Fabric Adhesive Bandages
(80) .75" x 3" Plastic Adhesive Bandages
(5) 1" x 10 yds Cloth Tape
(3) 200 Box Count Alcohol Prep Pads
(3) 13 Oz Petroleum Jelly

Is there any area I listed where I lack, especially regarding items I can get with credits?

Several years ago, when I was building my medical kit, I received recommendations that far exceeded the bag's capacity. When I asked for home recommendations, I received positive feedback to my initial question but not the follow-up.

I'm left to wonder what's going on. I'm not building a medical bag. Therefore, I have plenty of room this time if that's what concerns you.

Note: There are other first aid items that I can "buy" with credits, but there are too many to list. If you think of something I have not listed, go ahead and recommend it. I might be able to get that too.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 395 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.