Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#299391 - 07/20/21 12:33 AM Re: Sleeping in Airports - An Online Guide [Re: Bingley]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Bingley
Nobody has mentioned an eye mask yet! Sure, you can use a bandana, but a mask that fits your face well blocks out all the light. I take it that Doug is sensitive to errant rays of light (the binder clips for the hotel drapes that never quite fit perfectly together).

These days, you should also bring a few extra breathing masks if you might end up sleeping in the airport. These things start to smell after a while, so it would be good to replace them.

For a while I traveled to Europe regularly. I often had to make three connections at a minimum. Spending a night at the airport happened quite often. I never did special prep for it -- except the power strip, I guess: different plugs in different countries, different voltages.

I have to ask, what do you use the wet wipes for??? In an airport I can easily walk into the bathroom & make my own if necessary. But I usually just wash up in the bathroom rather than using a wipe.

Told you all, Id' forget soemhting. Yes, I have a eye-mask.

Yes, travel with extra masks. I never wear one more than a day. Most places I travel to these days have eliminated the mask requirement except at the airport/onboard. I also carry a couple honest-to-god folded N95 masks with exhalation valve, in case of a real emergency.

Using the restroom works, but if all you want is a quick clean, wet wipes work fine, are quicker, and take up virtually no room or weight. And, on the aircraft, they are especially useful when you can't use the restroom. I guess I also left off that I travel with a pocket-sized 1 oz bottle of sanitizer as well.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#299392 - 07/20/21 12:42 AM Re: Sleeping in Airports - An Online Guide [Re: Acropolis50]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Acropolis50
Doug, pls enlighten us and tell us which brand & Model 6” Ti pr bar and very pointed 3.5” scissors that you can get thru TSA or other airport security, on a regular basis? I’ve had some weird and inconsistent experiences with similar tools.

For instance on my last trip from the US to Israel, I had TSA check and OK a small (~5”) needle nose plier, same size reversible flat and star screwdriver and a combo wrench round edge 4” pry -bar. I also flew, with these tools ,internally in Israel, from Tel Aviv to Eilat. But on the flight home to the US , the Border Police / TSA equivalent , made me surrender all 3 tools??? I complained to the Supervisor and explained l flew in with them and around in Israel, but to no avail.

I don't recall what brand pry bar it is, was gifted by a maker a long time ago, turns out I misremembered, I'm male... ;=), it is 4.5 inches long, but longer is legal.

I don't travel internationally, so I can't speak to that. TSA's "what can I bring" https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/all

Scissors
Carry On Bags: Yes (Special Instructions)
If packed in carry-on, they must be less than 4 inches from the pivot point.

Tools 7 inches or shorter (measured from end to end when assembled) are allowed in carry-on baggage.

So far, no problems. But, in the end, TSA can do pretty much whatever the hell they want. Get someone having a bad day or an (north end of a southbound horse), well, you lose. I never carry anything I can't afford to lose.

Edited by Doug_Ritter (07/20/21 03:12 AM)
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#299394 - 07/20/21 03:11 AM Re: Sleeping in Airports - An Online Guide [Re: Blast]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Blast
That's a pretty plush blanket, Doug.
-Blast smile

You only live once. grin
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.