Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#299175 - 06/24/21 08:06 PM College "Grid Down" Kit
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Well, it's happened. Goblins have stolen my baby and replaced her with a young lady old enough to leave home for college.

Damn goblins!!

Anyway, she'll be moving to California from Texas this fall. The school is located between Los Angeles and San Diego, a little to the east of both. It is a private rather than a state school and she's already confirmed she can carry her Swiss Army knife. The question is what else should she have? Due to space limitations, the kit needs to be small. I'm thinking:
1. Scout "clamshell" mess kit
2. S.O.L. Heatsheet
3. Bic lighter
4. Lifestraw
5. Hexamine stove + fuel tabs
6. Emergency poncho
7. Paracord
8. Small radio
9. Flashlight
10. Bandaids and gauze rolls

What else?
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#299177 - 06/24/21 10:10 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I would prefer a headlamp over a flashlight - more versatile and just as small. Give some thought to how to power the electronics. My preference would be rechargeable batteries, backed up by a power bank (also abackup flashlight), but there are lots of different stratgies, as well. Just give it some consideration.

A canteen of some sort will be handy - any thing from a recycled Gatorade bottle to the classic nalgene. Fit a cup on the bottom of the canteen and skip the mess kit.

Add a small signal mirror - also good for applying makeup. Also add a whistle so she can have a blast.....

I would favor a good lightweight "real" poncho over the emergency types I have encountered - they are just too flimsy. Same with the heatsheet, although it can comprise a shelter of some sort, for a brief period.

Make sure the paracord is amped up with flammable strands. etc.. Or just get something a bit more compact. IMHO paracord is over rated. Nylon shoelace sets are just as good or better.

What, no paracord bracelet?? Mandatory item for some (not me).

What do you know the specific climate where she will be living? Climate varies tremendously here in SoCal, depending primarily upon distance from the coast and elevation. Be sure she is set up for local conditions and any likely destinations. It is even possible it will rain this winter.
What I would really like to add is an iso-butane fuel canister and burner. You can really cook and boil (purify) water. But you may be better to stick with your current rig.

I would throw in an elastic roll. Does she have any FA training? That is even more important.

Fascinating endeavor - Best Wishes!!

They grow so darn fast, don't they.......

#299178 - 06/25/21 01:38 AM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

I'd aim more for "urban" rather than "wilderness" needs --
1. cash, spare debit/ credit cards
2. paper copies of contact information, maps, scripts, etc
3. spare glasses
4. spare phone/ laptop charger and batteries
5. snack bars
6. simple water filter bottle. (lifestraw? Sawyer?)
7. electric glow sticks

#299182 - 06/25/21 01:52 AM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Ah, gentlemen, you are focused on hardware. My wife calls that "boy brain."

I think we know that the essentials of survival are situational awareness, knowledge of resources, and the will and skill to use them to one's advantage. It's best to encourage a survey of resources and a plan of action in case of the Big One (or the various small ones we face in life).

Not to worry. A chip off o' the old Blast will be blowing things up soon enough. wink

#299183 - 06/25/21 02:22 AM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Good point about attention to the non-hardware elements of a survival strategy. But the thread is focused on the hardware to include in a minimal, inconspicuous kit.

A further item comes to mind. Since she will be attending an institution of higher learning, would a discreet tactical or quasi-tactical pen be appropriate? Penmanship would be useful if she had to teach someone a lesson.....

#299186 - 06/25/21 01:24 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I prefer lithium primary (non-rechargeable) batteries for devices like flashlights and radios in kits, where that’s reasonable. Make sure that the devices are all the way off, and if you cannot be sure don’t install the batteries. For example, I’ve found that Baofeng batteries in kits that are connected to the transceiver always go flat (and often cannot be restored to service after a few months of that), but that they have very low self-discharge when not connected to the transceiver, even in very warm and very cold conditions.

The kits I built for my no-longer-little Magnets going off to college include a lithium-ion power bank (a model that I have tested for very low self-discharge), a spare 120VAC to USB adapter, a spare 12VDC to USB adapter, and a spare USB phone charging cable. This is in addition to the dedicated charging apparatus for each of their vehicles.

The Sawyer Mini is in my opinion superior to the Lifestraw, other than for size.

I like having more than one two-person Heatsheets, or a two-person Heatsheets along with something else. For example, a contractor bag could be used as a groundsheet and/or part of an improvised shelter, with the Heatsheets being used to stay warm.

#299188 - 06/25/21 03:05 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Good thoughts, all! I've swapped out the flashlight for a headlamp along with some of the other ideas.

To help clarify my thoughts, I picture this being used in the 72 hours after a big earthquake along the Elsinore or Rose Canyon faults. The local fire department lists those as the biggest risks, with possible 6-7 Richter scale tremors, causing breaks in water and gas lines. Yep, I've been doing a deep dive into possible risks. Lol!

She has good survival skills, both urban and wilderness. Her water bottle collection puts mine to shame! She already has spare battery backups for her cellphone, whistle, and a commanding voice. smile I'll make sure she has password-protected pictures of important paperwork and credit cards.

Seeing how most students at Texas colleges were completely unprepared for last winter's freak cold snap, I want to make sure she has a basic kit ready, hanging on a hook by the door.
-Blast

Edited by Blast (06/25/21 03:15 PM)
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#299190 - 06/25/21 03:31 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
Tony_D Offline
Stranger

Is the emergency poncho also serving as a visibility panel?
Something hi-viz to hang out of a window or mark position in the wilderness...

#299191 - 06/25/21 03:50 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Tony_D]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Tony_D
Is the emergency poncho also serving as a visibility panel?
Something hi-viz to hang out of a window or mark position in the wilderness...

The Heatsheets are bright orange and reflective silver and with two of them one can be sacrificed as a marker/signal. The poncho will most likely be yellow or clear, just to hunker down in and stay dry.
-Blast

#299192 - 06/25/21 04:22 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I am basically in the samee boat as your daughter with regard to hazards, esp. EQs. Currently, however, there are also wildfires, which have the potential to threaten urban areas. What is her situation?.

Basically, you run from wildfires, but with EQs, SIP is somewhat more likely...

#299195 - 06/25/21 08:12 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: hikermor]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I am basically in the samee boat as your daughter with regard to hazards, esp. EQs. Currently, however, there are also wildfires, which have the potential to threaten urban areas. What is her situation?.

Good point about fires. She'll be living in an urban college dorm towards the center of town, surrounded by other buildings and businesses. Hmmm, maybe some solar yardlights in case the power goes out? She won't have a vehicle until next year so if she has to leave she'll have to catch a ride with someone, which is another reason for small gear. Based on previous comments, I am dumping the mess kit and fuel tab stove.
-Blast

#299200 - 06/26/21 07:11 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: dougwalkabout]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Ah, gentlemen, you are focused on hardware. My wife calls that "boy brain."

I think we know that the essentials of survival are situational awareness, knowledge of resources, and the will and skill to use them to one's advantage. It's best to encourage a survey of resources and a plan of action in case of the Big One (or the various small ones we face in life).

Not to worry. A chip off o' the old Blast will be blowing things up soon enough. wink

Good point - A plan of people and resources would be most useful;
-local health care
- friends in the area
-what to do if...
- Alternate ways to stay in communication

Edited by teacher (06/28/21 05:59 PM)

#299204 - 06/27/21 04:05 AM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
Tony_D Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: Blast

Good point about fires. She'll be living in an urban college dorm towards the center of town, surrounded by other buildings and businesses. Hmmm, maybe some solar yardlights in case the power goes out? She won't have a vehicle until next year so if she has to leave she'll have to catch a ride with someone, which is another reason for small gear. Based on previous comments, I am dumping the mess kit and fuel tab stove.
-Blast
prompted a memory; I have a couple of these solar lanterns:
https://www.lightinthebox.com/en/p/luminaid-packlite-12-aufblasbare-solarlaterne-solar-aufblasbare-faltbare-teleskop-airbag-beleuchtung-shows_p8518462.html?currency=USD&litb_from=bing_shopping&sku=276_344678&country_code=us&utm_source=bingshopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=bingshopping&litb_from=paid_bing&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_campaign=%5BEN%5D%5BBSC%5D%5BLITB%5D%5Bc229%5D%5BS%26O%5D(US)(shopping)(L1)&msclkid=7225f4a4f98e1136dc59947301bb7fcf

I guess now they can charge a smartphone too... I've had mine for a few years and they've held up well.

#299206 - 06/27/21 04:38 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

A recent development in Cal if the preemptive shutoff of electricity during high fire hazard situations - annoying, but much better than the flames. You need some sort of renewable backup for lights, phones, etc. Solar is often the best, most reasonable option.

#299210 - 06/28/21 01:44 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
to expand from a "kit" topic to roving power outage... my dorm years at the Univ of Florida were before central air conditioning...a window fan really aided sound sleeping... today, some form of personal battery powered fan (using your preferred re chargable cells) might be a consideration... additionally to provide some hot water, a 2gal pump up garden sprayer painted black could be placed in the sunlight to provide a little warm water for a quick shower...open flame cooking is most likely prohibited, but an Asian style flat stove outside in a court yard area could provide a hot meal or drink.. if the rolling blackout is announced transfer to any perishable food to a 7 day cooler

#299211 - 06/28/21 06:02 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Grid down could be expanded to "Problems a student hasn't encountered alone yet"
- loss of an atm card
- needing help in a new city
- focus/ panning
- heartbreak

#299216 - 06/28/21 07:28 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: LesSnyder]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Various models of sun showers are available from camping goods suppliers - basically plastic bag capacity one to four gallons or so. I have used such for weeks at a time on field projects and they are quite satisfactory, as well as cheap and light. I have several in my emergency supplies and have also used them during power outages.

#299224 - 06/30/21 04:00 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: teacher]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: teacher
Grid down could be expanded to "Problems a student hasn't encountered alone yet"
- loss of an atm card
- needing help in a new city
- focus/ panning
- heartbreak

We've been working on those adult skills for years so I'm not too worried about these...except for the coming heartbreak when she moves 1000 miles from her boyfriend. I think it'll hit her hard. frown
-Blast

#299225 - 06/30/21 04:03 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

A big part of this figuring out the best gear that'll fit in a shoe box. The dorm rooms are very small so a lot of these things that would be great to have in an emergency just aren't possible.
-Blast

#299229 - 07/02/21 08:27 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

A 'shoe box kit' is a great exercise in planning

#299230 - 07/02/21 08:47 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Something shoe box size ought to fit into a medium size waist pack and be mobile and also fairly inconspicuous....

#299231 - 07/02/21 10:25 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Keep in mind campuses have loads of resources; from on site health care & counselors to food shelves. Locating them early will save you some stress...

#299232 - 07/03/21 01:52 AM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

If the worst case scenario is The Big Shake, then it seems to me the biggest worries are egress from a damaged building and access to water.

Egress means tools. Indestructible flat prybar, at least 15" and with enough mass to chop/hammer. 10" Vise Grip with wire cutter. A hatchet likely won't be allowed for safety reasons.

Water: won't fit in a shoebox. When pressure is lost, where can residual treated water be found? I don't know the answer. I suspect raw water in CA may be pretty heavily loaded with agricultural chemical runoff, and worse after a shake.

Also not in shoebox, but ideal: a bug out location within walking distance, to known parties who have resources and can be trusted.

Kudos to papa for worrying. :-)

#299233 - 07/03/21 02:21 AM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Excellent recommendation on prybars. I keep several handy, including a 4' bar underneath my bed.

Good point about the scarcity of water after a big EQ. Even a very small bottle is way better than nothing....

I'll bet a college campus is a better than average place to deal with the aftermath. Perhaps it be worth a specific inquiries to the authorities about their disaster preps....

#299236 - 07/04/21 07:17 AM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I agree with hikermor -- colleges are often one of the major employers in town, and they have people to make & carry out emergency plans. They may be able to use their clout to create favorable conditions for survival. The campus safety office should know about the college's plan in case of an earthquake.

Regarding egress tools, can I get you guys to discuss your preparation a bit. I'm assuming you're talking about fire, partial collapse in an earthquake, etc.

What kind of long prybar is best? (I notice demolition bars with various hooks at the end. Never had a chance to use them.) Why a flat prybar?

Why go with a hatchet over a full size axe if you go with a long bar?

What is the intended application of the Vise Grip?

#299240 - 07/04/21 02:10 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Good questions. Remember that we're thinking "fits in a shoe box" which limits our options.

Compared to octagonal pry bars, I find a flat bar to be far more versatile for demolition (and nearly everything else. The ones I consistently reach for are 18" long (every extra inch of leverage counts).

This shows the general concept (not a brand recommendation). Many manufacturers make them.

A 10" vise grip with wire cutter is the original heavy duty multitool. (The 7" ones are excellent also, but the extra 3" of leverage makes a surprising difference.) In a pinch, it does nearly everything involving demolition or repair, multiplying the power of your arms my many times, and the grip of your fingers by 1000. I have yet to break one.

Edit: I suspect edged tools like hatchets would be banned on campuses. A hammer with a ripping style nail puller may or may not sneak by.

Edited by dougwalkabout (07/04/21 02:17 PM)

#299241 - 07/04/21 04:40 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Length, which directly relates to leverage force, is critical. My bedside prybar is as long as possible, since portability is not an issue. I don't think the different terminal configurations are vastly significant.

When portability is an issue, the prybar in Dougwalkabout's post reigns supreme. It is available in different sizes, down to keychain size, and they all are useful in many different contexts. I use them occasionally in archaeological and paleontological digs, among other uses....

#299248 - 07/05/21 12:19 AM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
Swiss Army Knife..... even just a small one.

#299257 - 07/05/21 04:02 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: CJK]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Why a hatchet? In confined or restricted space, a hatchet is more likely to be workable...

#299258 - 07/05/21 04:05 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

I'm liking the idea of the prybar and vicegrips. They make me think a fencing pliers would also be a possibility. A hatchet isn't allowed and neither would an axe...plus the ax won't fit in a shoebox.

She already carries a Swiss Army Knife and has confirmed with the college that it's allowed.

The school is very small...less than 1500 students and is only a minor part of the town's economy.

Local and state maps in a Ziploc bag would be good. I need to mark the location of my brother-in-law's place, and hour away (by car).

Keep the ideas coming! smile
-Blast

#299260 - 07/05/21 07:03 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Key to a nearby recently constructed (last decade) self storage locker probably solves the storage limitations of the room. A closet-sized on is usually inexpensive

Edited by Doug_Ritter (07/05/21 07:04 PM)
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#299262 - 07/05/21 08:15 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
Walmart have Ozark Trail mini headlamps with 2 coin cells included for a $1.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-LED-Mini-Headlamp-20-Lumens-6-Colors/757604188

Probably fine for in campus accommodation at night or "loaners".

Edited by Ren (07/05/21 08:22 PM)

#299270 - 07/06/21 06:08 AM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Alright, let's do some product recommendations for prybars & hatchets! What's your favorite?

#299276 - 07/06/21 08:39 AM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
amper Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: US
When it comes to hatchets, my favorite is my Gränsfors Bruks Mini Belt Hatchet, but I wouldn’t use that as an emergency egress tool unless I had no other choice, because it’s too valuable to be used as a demolition tool. I would think an all-steel Estwing would be a better idea to keep for that purpose.

As for prybars, there are many makers of good flatbars. My current favorite was made by Vaughan, and is about 21” long, a bit longer than the typical Stanley. And actually, just inside my front door is a 36” DeWalt wrecking bar that weighs a ton. I bought it to chip through ice, because it was the cheapest, heaviest thing I could find at the time I needed it.

#299277 - 07/06/21 08:41 AM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Doug_Ritter]
amper Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: US
Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
Key to a nearby recently constructed (last decade) self storage locker probably solves the storage limitations of the room. A closet-sized on is usually inexpensive

I’m thinking more and more about how important off-site storage is, especially now that I am a renter again, instead of the owner of a 3-story home with basement and 3-car garage, like I used to be. If anything happens to my house, it’s a cheap insurance policy.

#299280 - 07/06/21 12:28 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: amper]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Did we include N-95 masks in the shoebox? Very useful if there would be wildfires, not necessarily close....

Not the same as the usual covid mask, although those would be better than nothing.

#299338 - 07/14/21 05:49 AM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
Acropolis50 Offline
Journeyman

Bingley: When it comes to emergency axes/ multi-purpose tools, IMO , the new category leader is the Ontario SPAX-16. This awkward looking tool is actually an evolution of an earlier aircraft rescue crash hatchet. It’s 13” long, 2lb.s of axe, curved spike, pry bar, hammer, rudimentary shovel and manhole lifter ( with the spike and top of tool as lever) . But what really makes it really unique is the odd looking cutout in back of the axe head. This cutout enables turning gas and water cocks on & off and opening and closing most fire hydrant water valves. Note, this tool is standard kit on Marine 1.

For a light strong pry bar, my ( admittedly expensive) my choice is an 8oz., 12” long, titanium nail puller, by Stilleto Tools. Stronger and much lighter than its steel contemporaries. I wrap self-adherent silicon tape around the shaft to improve the grip. I tape a Double thickness of Gorilla tape to each end to prevent it cutting thru my pack.

Couple these two tools with a Knipex, 8”” rod, wire, fence & grill cutter, ( Again it costs a bit more, but it beats the competition all hollow with its compound hard steel cutting edges). Optional is a 6” to 8” adjustable pliers-wrench like a Robotool or Vise-Grip. ( I tend not to exercise this option . But my fire rescue friends tell me I’m wrong.) Also add a Gerber LMF II 5” insulated , half serrated bladed knife with electrically insulated handle and steel glass breaker- hammerhead end AP. Add a 4-way silcock key ( wrench ), a 50’ -100’ Hank of 550’ or 750’ para cord, about 20’ of flat-rollled 2” gorilla tape, goggles that seal the eye, and a good pair of leather or nomex work gloves, Add an XCaper fire escape mask and N-95 masks and a good 3AA weatherproof headlamp with lithium batteries and you got yourself a good urban-rural rescue and shelter, fire wood kit. And for the capability ,it is actually packable without adding too much weight. I’m also assuming you carry on your person, a good multi tool. My choice is a LM wave +..

If I can only have two and weight and size are of the essence, I take the LM Wave+ and the 4 - way silcock key. If I’m working urban and can carry a little more , I add the gloves, googles and XCaper escape mask.

#299342 - 07/14/21 02:22 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Acropolis50]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

D'oh, a silcock key!! Thanks for the reminder, Acropolis50!
-Blast

#299344 - 07/14/21 06:44 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
@Blast. If you can find it, buy the Knipex. It has 8 different heads.

https://geekprepper.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/61JwtVlZXSL._SL1001_-e1565443676184.jpg

#299345 - 07/14/21 08:03 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Herman30]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Herman30
@Blast. If you can find it, buy the Knipex. It has 8 different heads.

https://geekprepper.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/61JwtVlZXSL._SL1001_-e1565443676184.jpg

https://www.kctool.com
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#299358 - 07/16/21 06:03 AM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Herman30]
Acropolis50 Offline
Journeyman

Herman30: I’ve looked. Into the connected key/wrench combo you posted. It is not a water silcock key. The sizes do not match those cited in the universal key description. That is unless they have changed the tool since I last researched it , some years ago.

#299359 - 07/16/21 07:16 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Perhaps you have different sized water keys than in Europe?

#299363 - 07/17/21 03:38 AM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Has anyone played with this? How useful is it?

Ontario Wyvern Crash Axe Rescue Breaching Tool
https://www.osograndeknives.com/catalog/...8693-25772.html

#299369 - 07/18/21 04:08 AM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Bingley]
Acropolis50 Offline
Journeyman

Bingley: I’ve never handled the tool u posted. However, on optics alone , it is a longer handled, heavier, SPAX-16, but without the so very useful wrench cutouts in the axe head. The “can opener “ at the bottom will probably cut thru aircraft fuselage or a car door, but is that of use to u? It seems a two pronged end , like on a Halligan or other such tools, would be more practical.

If it wasn’t so darn useful, I’d never consider packing even a SPAX 16 in my GHB. This tool seems less versatile and much weightier and clumsy to carry. As a keep in the car tool , I think you would be better served by a SPAX-16 or other axe and a equal length, flat steel pry bar with an angled top and straight bottom claw. YMMV

Edited by Acropolis50 (07/18/21 04:43 AM)

#299500 - 07/26/21 02:12 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Blast, I don't have anything to add. You and other members here are definitely more knowledgeable than I am. But I want to share the feelings with you about our dear little babies going away. In the last few days, a guy came asking to marry my daughter. And I have an ocean of feelings about it. She is my very best friend and cannot comprehend coming back home and not seeing her.

#299503 - 07/26/21 03:19 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks, Chisel! I can't imagine that next step...
-Blast

#299504 - 07/26/21 03:36 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Chisel]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Just wait until the grandkids arrive. Bliss all over again!!

#299514 - 07/27/21 03:44 AM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: hikermor]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Just wait until the grandkids arrive. Bliss all over again!!

Amen

#299515 - 07/27/21 04:02 AM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Blast, I remembered two things.

#1 A duct tape card.
Small enough for a shoebox, and multipurpose.

#2 A "work light"
There is a category of lighting devices that are not flashlights nor headlights. You attach them to something like a backpack, a car, or a piece of furniture. And ,of course, can be put on a shelf or table.

My "little baby" is actually an emergency doctor. LOL. She works shifts, and has to drive at midnight which worries me a great deal. So, every once in a while I give her a gadget for safety.

A few months ago, I gave her a small flashlight with a carabiner which she can attach to her keys. The flashlight is powerful for its size. This last week, I gave her a tiny flood light which has two ways of attachment, a carabiner and a magnet. It works on AAA batteries. If power goes out the night before exam (which happened to one of my kids) she can hang two of these lights on the right and left and will be able to read books. If an earthquake or other SHTF, these lights are going to make a difference. It is no more than the size of a box of matches (~ 2x1.5 inches), but gives an impressive output.

So, you may go visit your dollar store or hardware store and check the lighting options. You will be amazed of the variety of these little gadgets. You and I live on opposite sides of the planet , but global trade has made our stores so similar.

I bought for myself a few lights that are slightly bigger, and used them for DIY projects around the house. They are different in shapes and sizes but they are not too big to be EDC if you wanted. And they all have two ways of attachments (magnets + carabiner or hook) in addition , of course, to putting them on a table. And they are great.

#299517 - 07/27/21 02:21 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Congratulations, Chisel!

#299518 - 07/27/21 03:29 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Thanks Bingley.

It is a time of happiness, but mixed with lots of other emotions. To make it easier to swallow, I have to remind myself that a few decades ago, I have stolen someone else's "little baby". LOL

#299569 - 08/02/21 05:13 AM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Blast, so what's your final list? It would be great to have it as a reference. Some of us might give the same sort of present to the college kids in our lives...

#299571 - 08/02/21 05:43 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Bingley]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Bingley
Blast, so what's your final list? It would be great to have it as a reference. Some of us might give the same sort of present to the college kids in our lives...

Currently:
LifeStraw (2)
HeatSheet (2)
Silcock Key
AM/FM Radio
Headlamp
Compass
Bic Lighters
Foraging bandana wink

To Be Added:
Road Maps of California & Southwest
Maps to California family & friends, along with phone numbers and emails
Crescent Wrench
Pliers

#299575 - 08/03/21 07:19 AM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Instead of a crescent wrench I would prefer a groove joint pliers. Equally adjustable to all sizes of bolts but in my experience groove joint bites into the bolt harder when squeezing the handle.

#299796 - 08/22/21 02:54 AM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Think about the chaos caused by the loss of a student id/keycard or debit card...and how to quickly replace either.

#299812 - 08/24/21 02:18 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: teacher]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: teacher
Think about the chaos caused by the loss of a student id/keycard or debit card...and how to quickly replace either.

Luckily(?) she has experienced a similar event and is now MUCH better at keeping track of those things.
-Blast

#299813 - 08/25/21 01:28 AM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
Famdoc Offline

Loc: PA
If not already otherwise packed, suggest:

1. some kind of first aid kit, OTC meds

2. battery cell phone charger, 20-30,000 maH. If charged at the start of the school year, it should hold almost all of its charge all year. A number of these also have an LED light for another source of light.

3. If a grid down situation lasting more than half a day or so, consider an Esbit style or sterno stove or UCO 3 candle lantern for hot drinks, and a bit of light and warmth. Using these outside of a closed space remains important; these probably would be a good idea or allowed in a dorm setting. I'm guessing even the Yankee Candles or their equivalent candle-in-a-jar generic versions are not allowed in college dorms.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.