Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#299195 - 06/25/21 08:12 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: hikermor]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I am basically in the samee boat as your daughter with regard to hazards, esp. EQs. Currently, however, there are also wildfires, which have the potential to threaten urban areas. What is her situation?.

Basically, you run from wildfires, but with EQs, SIP is somewhat more likely...

Good point about fires. She'll be living in an urban college dorm towards the center of town, surrounded by other buildings and businesses. Hmmm, maybe some solar yardlights in case the power goes out? She won't have a vehicle until next year so if she has to leave she'll have to catch a ride with someone, which is another reason for small gear. Based on previous comments, I am dumping the mess kit and fuel tab stove.
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#299200 - 06/26/21 07:11 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: dougwalkabout]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Ah, gentlemen, you are focused on hardware. My wife calls that "boy brain."

I think we know that the essentials of survival are situational awareness, knowledge of resources, and the will and skill to use them to one's advantage. It's best to encourage a survey of resources and a plan of action in case of the Big One (or the various small ones we face in life).

Not to worry. A chip off o' the old Blast will be blowing things up soon enough. wink

Good point - A plan of people and resources would be most useful;
-local health care
- friends in the area
-what to do if...
- Alternate ways to stay in communication

Edited by teacher (06/28/21 05:59 PM)

#299204 - 06/27/21 04:05 AM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
Tony_D Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: Blast
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I am basically in the samee boat as your daughter with regard to hazards, esp. EQs. Currently, however, there are also wildfires, which have the potential to threaten urban areas. What is her situation?.

Basically, you run from wildfires, but with EQs, SIP is somewhat more likely...

Good point about fires. She'll be living in an urban college dorm towards the center of town, surrounded by other buildings and businesses. Hmmm, maybe some solar yardlights in case the power goes out? She won't have a vehicle until next year so if she has to leave she'll have to catch a ride with someone, which is another reason for small gear. Based on previous comments, I am dumping the mess kit and fuel tab stove.
-Blast
prompted a memory; I have a couple of these solar lanterns:
https://www.lightinthebox.com/en/p/luminaid-packlite-12-aufblasbare-solarlaterne-solar-aufblasbare-faltbare-teleskop-airbag-beleuchtung-shows_p8518462.html?currency=USD&litb_from=bing_shopping&sku=276_344678&country_code=us&utm_source=bingshopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=bingshopping&litb_from=paid_bing&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_campaign=%5BEN%5D%5BBSC%5D%5BLITB%5D%5Bc229%5D%5BS%26O%5D(US)(shopping)(L1)&msclkid=7225f4a4f98e1136dc59947301bb7fcf

I guess now they can charge a smartphone too... I've had mine for a few years and they've held up well.

#299206 - 06/27/21 04:38 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
A recent development in Cal if the preemptive shutoff of electricity during high fire hazard situations - annoying, but much better than the flames. You need some sort of renewable backup for lights, phones, etc. Solar is often the best, most reasonable option.

#299210 - 06/28/21 01:44 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
to expand from a "kit" topic to roving power outage... my dorm years at the Univ of Florida were before central air conditioning...a window fan really aided sound sleeping... today, some form of personal battery powered fan (using your preferred re chargable cells) might be a consideration... additionally to provide some hot water, a 2gal pump up garden sprayer painted black could be placed in the sunlight to provide a little warm water for a quick shower...open flame cooking is most likely prohibited, but an Asian style flat stove outside in a court yard area could provide a hot meal or drink.. if the rolling blackout is announced transfer to any perishable food to a 7 day cooler

#299211 - 06/28/21 06:02 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Grid down could be expanded to "Problems a student hasn't encountered alone yet"
- loss of an atm card
- needing help in a new city
- focus/ panning
- heartbreak

#299216 - 06/28/21 07:28 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: LesSnyder]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Various models of sun showers are available from camping goods suppliers - basically plastic bag capacity one to four gallons or so. I have used such for weeks at a time on field projects and they are quite satisfactory, as well as cheap and light. I have several in my emergency supplies and have also used them during power outages.

#299224 - 06/30/21 04:00 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: teacher]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: teacher
Grid down could be expanded to "Problems a student hasn't encountered alone yet"
- loss of an atm card
- needing help in a new city
- focus/ panning
- heartbreak

We've been working on those adult skills for years so I'm not too worried about these...except for the coming heartbreak when she moves 1000 miles from her boyfriend. I think it'll hit her hard. frown
-Blast
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#299225 - 06/30/21 04:03 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

A big part of this figuring out the best gear that'll fit in a shoe box. The dorm rooms are very small so a lot of these things that would be great to have in an emergency just aren't possible.
-Blast

#299229 - 07/02/21 08:27 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

A 'shoe box kit' is a great exercise in planning

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 410 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.