Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#299175 - 06/24/21 08:06 PM College "Grid Down" Kit
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Well, it's happened. Goblins have stolen my baby and replaced her with a young lady old enough to leave home for college.

Damn goblins!!

Anyway, she'll be moving to California from Texas this fall. The school is located between Los Angeles and San Diego, a little to the east of both. It is a private rather than a state school and she's already confirmed she can carry her Swiss Army knife. The question is what else should she have? Due to space limitations, the kit needs to be small. I'm thinking:
1. Scout "clamshell" mess kit
2. S.O.L. Heatsheet
3. Bic lighter
4. Lifestraw
5. Hexamine stove + fuel tabs
6. Emergency poncho
7. Paracord
8. Small radio
9. Flashlight
10. Bandaids and gauze rolls

What else?
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#299177 - 06/24/21 10:10 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I would prefer a headlamp over a flashlight - more versatile and just as small. Give some thought to how to power the electronics. My preference would be rechargeable batteries, backed up by a power bank (also abackup flashlight), but there are lots of different stratgies, as well. Just give it some consideration.

A canteen of some sort will be handy - any thing from a recycled Gatorade bottle to the classic nalgene. Fit a cup on the bottom of the canteen and skip the mess kit.

Add a small signal mirror - also good for applying makeup. Also add a whistle so she can have a blast.....

I would favor a good lightweight "real" poncho over the emergency types I have encountered - they are just too flimsy. Same with the heatsheet, although it can comprise a shelter of some sort, for a brief period.

Make sure the paracord is amped up with flammable strands. etc.. Or just get something a bit more compact. IMHO paracord is over rated. Nylon shoelace sets are just as good or better.

What, no paracord bracelet?? Mandatory item for some (not me).

What do you know the specific climate where she will be living? Climate varies tremendously here in SoCal, depending primarily upon distance from the coast and elevation. Be sure she is set up for local conditions and any likely destinations. It is even possible it will rain this winter.
What I would really like to add is an iso-butane fuel canister and burner. You can really cook and boil (purify) water. But you may be better to stick with your current rig.

I would throw in an elastic roll. Does she have any FA training? That is even more important.

Fascinating endeavor - Best Wishes!!

They grow so darn fast, don't they.......

#299178 - 06/25/21 01:38 AM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

I'd aim more for "urban" rather than "wilderness" needs --
1. cash, spare debit/ credit cards
2. paper copies of contact information, maps, scripts, etc
3. spare glasses
4. spare phone/ laptop charger and batteries
5. snack bars
6. simple water filter bottle. (lifestraw? Sawyer?)
7. electric glow sticks

#299182 - 06/25/21 01:52 AM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Ah, gentlemen, you are focused on hardware. My wife calls that "boy brain."

I think we know that the essentials of survival are situational awareness, knowledge of resources, and the will and skill to use them to one's advantage. It's best to encourage a survey of resources and a plan of action in case of the Big One (or the various small ones we face in life).

Not to worry. A chip off o' the old Blast will be blowing things up soon enough. wink

#299183 - 06/25/21 02:22 AM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Good point about attention to the non-hardware elements of a survival strategy. But the thread is focused on the hardware to include in a minimal, inconspicuous kit.

A further item comes to mind. Since she will be attending an institution of higher learning, would a discreet tactical or quasi-tactical pen be appropriate? Penmanship would be useful if she had to teach someone a lesson.....

#299186 - 06/25/21 01:24 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I prefer lithium primary (non-rechargeable) batteries for devices like flashlights and radios in kits, where that’s reasonable. Make sure that the devices are all the way off, and if you cannot be sure don’t install the batteries. For example, I’ve found that Baofeng batteries in kits that are connected to the transceiver always go flat (and often cannot be restored to service after a few months of that), but that they have very low self-discharge when not connected to the transceiver, even in very warm and very cold conditions.

The kits I built for my no-longer-little Magnets going off to college include a lithium-ion power bank (a model that I have tested for very low self-discharge), a spare 120VAC to USB adapter, a spare 12VDC to USB adapter, and a spare USB phone charging cable. This is in addition to the dedicated charging apparatus for each of their vehicles.

The Sawyer Mini is in my opinion superior to the Lifestraw, other than for size.

I like having more than one two-person Heatsheets, or a two-person Heatsheets along with something else. For example, a contractor bag could be used as a groundsheet and/or part of an improvised shelter, with the Heatsheets being used to stay warm.

#299188 - 06/25/21 03:05 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Good thoughts, all! I've swapped out the flashlight for a headlamp along with some of the other ideas.

To help clarify my thoughts, I picture this being used in the 72 hours after a big earthquake along the Elsinore or Rose Canyon faults. The local fire department lists those as the biggest risks, with possible 6-7 Richter scale tremors, causing breaks in water and gas lines. Yep, I've been doing a deep dive into possible risks. Lol!

She has good survival skills, both urban and wilderness. Her water bottle collection puts mine to shame! She already has spare battery backups for her cellphone, whistle, and a commanding voice. smile I'll make sure she has password-protected pictures of important paperwork and credit cards.

Seeing how most students at Texas colleges were completely unprepared for last winter's freak cold snap, I want to make sure she has a basic kit ready, hanging on a hook by the door.
-Blast

Edited by Blast (06/25/21 03:15 PM)
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#299190 - 06/25/21 03:31 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
Tony_D Offline
Stranger

Is the emergency poncho also serving as a visibility panel?
Something hi-viz to hang out of a window or mark position in the wilderness...

#299191 - 06/25/21 03:50 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Tony_D]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Tony_D
Is the emergency poncho also serving as a visibility panel?
Something hi-viz to hang out of a window or mark position in the wilderness...

The Heatsheets are bright orange and reflective silver and with two of them one can be sacrificed as a marker/signal. The poncho will most likely be yellow or clear, just to hunker down in and stay dry.
-Blast

#299192 - 06/25/21 04:22 PM Re: College "Grid Down" Kit [Re: Blast]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I am basically in the samee boat as your daughter with regard to hazards, esp. EQs. Currently, however, there are also wildfires, which have the potential to threaten urban areas. What is her situation?.

Basically, you run from wildfires, but with EQs, SIP is somewhat more likely...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 289 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.