The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#298917 - 05/03/21 07:06 AM Re: Yet another stove kit [Re: Michael2]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Michael2
While looking into the FlexiStove, I came across this current stove from the UK:

Bushcraft FireDragon Multi-Fuel Cooker
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CJZWBPK

and this fuel:

BCB Adventure Fire Dragon Solid Fuel (6 x 27gm Tablets)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R33ZI0Y

The fuel looks especially interesting as an alcohol-based replacement for Esbit tablets. It is more expensive (about $1.50 apiece), but that might be OK for occasional or emergency use.

The reviewers on Amazon seem to love it. Here's one that's typical: "These gel fuel tabs are awesome. Burn hotter, better as well as cleaner then the older trioxane, and hexamine tabs. Doesn't leave that heavy residue on my mess tins. Doesn't smell so toxic like the other fuels either."

Anyone here have first-knowledge about these?

The stove is basically an Esbit folding stove, but with a little extra metal plate to act as a windscreen for one of the sides. It is a separate piece and it kind of rattles around in the stove in storage.

The fuel comes in much bigger cubes than Esbit. Apparently also usable as handsanitzer. Have not compaired them side by side. But i was never really impressed by fuel cubes in any form.

#298918 - 05/03/21 07:19 PM Re: Yet another stove kit [Re: Michael2]
Ren Online   content
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
BCB also make solid fuel pods (7g of the same solid fuel) in foil tin so can light the tab directly after peeling open.

Might be useful as a fire starter, ~20 pence each when buy 100.

https://www.thebathbushcraftshop.com/products/bcb-7g-mini-firedragon-fuel-pods

Edited by Ren (05/03/21 07:19 PM)

#298934 - 05/08/21 01:12 AM Re: Yet another stove kit [Re: Michael2]
Michael2 Offline
Journeyman

My order of "BCB Adventure Fire Dragon Solid Fuel (6 x 27gm Tablets)" came today. I tested them out.

Each tablet is packaged in small container with a peel-off foil lid. Size is about 2-7/8" x 1-3/4" x 1-1/8" (72 x 45 x 30 mm). The tablet itself is denatured ethanol in a wax-like gel substrate. It is labelled as fuel, but the instructions assume it is being used as a fire starter under charcoal or tiner. The instructions also state, "Can be used as a hand cleaner."

Because it melts after being lit, it must be contained within something if used as a fuel. I put it in a 3" diameter metal tin.

First, I tried heating 16 oz. (455 ml) of water using the Olicamp cup & G.A.K. stove. The tablet burned out after about 7.5 minutes. There were only a few bubbles at the bottom of the cup, but not even close to boiling. Then, I repeated the experiment with 8 oz. of water, and got very vigorous boiling after about 5.5 minutes. I suspect the optimum amount of water for one tablet would be about 10-12 oz.

So it's way better than Sterno. Due to the limited burn time, if nothing else, it's not competitive with the Trangia alcohol burner.

The tablet produced a very big yellow flame. There was a slight breeze outside, but there were frequent large flares of flames out from the side of the stove. Sterno and the Trangia produced much more focussed flames.

When the tablet was done, there was a thin layer of odorless white plastic residue at bottom of tin. It was pretty inoffensive, and I could peel or scrape most of it out with a screwdriver. There was a slight bit of sooting on the bottom of the cup, as might be expected from the yellow flame. In my experience, pure methanol or ethanol burns with a very clean blue flame, so maybe the soot was due to the gel.

I don't think I would ever use these if I knew in advance that I wanted to boil some water for tea or coffee; I would just bring the Trangia burner and a small fuel bottle of alcohol.

But I like the idea of these tablets as a backup - something to toss in a daypack just in case. They are compact and clean and odorless and leakproof, and the whole cook kit, complete with a few of these tablets, would fit in a 4" cube.

#298935 - 05/08/21 06:31 AM Re: Yet another stove kit [Re: Michael2]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: Michael2

When the tablet was done, there was a thin layer of odorless white plastic residue at bottom of tin. There was a slight bit of sooting on the bottom of the cup... so maybe the soot was due to the gel.

I would say the soot came from the plastic container. If I understood you right you did not take the gel cube out of the plastic box? Or did I missunderstand?

#298936 - 05/08/21 04:43 PM Re: Yet another stove kit [Re: Michael2]
Michael2 Offline
Journeyman

In this case I did remove the tablet from the container - it was just the tablet itself that I burned. Although I believe that when used as a fire starter, it is OK to burn the whole container (except for the foil lid).

Edited by Michael2 (05/08/21 04:45 PM)

#298963 - 05/14/21 03:01 AM Re: Yet another stove kit [Re: Herman30]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Herman30
Originally Posted By: Ren
Digressing slightly into solid fuel stoves. The British Army is experimenting with a new one for the crusader cook kit, called the FlexiStove.

sides of cookpot completely insulated from fire, flames shooting away from the cookpot, clever I guess laugh

Edited by EMPnotImplyNuclear (05/14/21 03:01 AM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, Ren), 394 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.