Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#298821 - 04/14/21 07:01 AM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
can do everything the SEVENTY2 can do?

Equipment doesn't do anything. It's a combination of the user and the equipment that can do something.

If this kit is targeted at experienced people; well most can make a better kit suited for them selfs for less.

if this kit is targeted at inexperienced people; well it needs some simplification or instruction. For example; You can't give a Ferro rod to a random person and expect that they know what it is, how to use it, the skill to use it, and knowing what you can light and how/where to collect proper tinder from. (tinder not provided in this kit). Even the matchless requires some skill and knowledge.

#298822 - 04/14/21 11:54 AM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Unless otherwise stated, a comparison of kits has to be judged on the functions of the kit, not the requirements of the potential user.

Jeanette Isabelle

That is not correct. It depends on context. The functions of a kit always have to be judged on the requirements of a potential user. The user may be fictional. Without requirements and user profiles a valid comparison of kits is hardly feasible.
If you define requirements that only the SEVENTY2 can fulfill, this kit is the optimum. If you define a target audience the outcome may be different.

#298823 - 04/14/21 12:12 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: hikermor]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
If your proposed kit can do everything the SEVENTY2 can do then show me. It's because of your refusal that I'm having to repeat myself.

I don't understand this behavior of insisting on a claim and yet refuse to show me. If I were as confident about a claim as you seem to be, I would be eager to back it up. The fact that you refuse to do so makes me very suspicious.

Jeanette Isabelle

#298824 - 04/14/21 12:18 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Tjin]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Tjin

Equipment doesn't do anything.

In other words, the functions.

Jeanette Isabelle

#298825 - 04/14/21 12:28 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Equipment doesn't do anything.

In other words, the functions.

Jeanette Isabelle

Provide information about user skills and the functions you think that kit has.

Untill now you only mentioned:
- 'grey man'
- that organizer thing.

Grey man is pretty much crap tacticool LARPers seems to keep on going about.

Although an organizer is handy for specific items; like a first aid kit unfamiliar to the user. Having everything in that organizer is in practice unusable.

#298826 - 04/14/21 01:05 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: M_a_x]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: M_a_x
That is not correct. It depends on context. The functions of a kit always have to be judged on the requirements of a potential user. The user may be fictional. Without requirements and user profiles a valid comparison of kits is hardly feasible.

When making a blanket statement, which is what Hikermor has been doing all along, a kit needs to be judged on its functions.

I seem to recall a person from this forum judging kits based on the functions and not the requirements of a potential user.

http://www.equipped.org/prsnlkit.htm
http://www.equipped.org/1personkits.htm

Jeanette Isabelle

#298827 - 04/14/21 02:10 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Unless otherwise stated, a comparison of kits has to be judged on the functions of the kit, not the requirements of the potential user.

I don't agree with you here -- every kit, piece of gear, training class, and so on should be judged by the requirements of the person considering it.

For example, it might make sense for someone on this thread (not necessarily you, Jeanette_Isabelle) to take a "basics of cybersecurity" class to educate that person on avoiding account takeovers, scams, malware infections and so on. But for me to take such a class is less valuable, as I usually teach them.

Similarly, our medical professionals probably would not get a lot of benefit out of an 8-hour refresher on treating gunshot wounds for firearms instructors. I try to take such a class every year, and I've learned something from each one.

A kit that I built makes sense for me -- it's designed around my skillset and the problems I think I might face. I think most of us here, if we're buying a pre-built kit, it's with an eye to supplement or improve upon it for our purposes.

#298828 - 04/14/21 02:23 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Tjin]
Carpal Tunnel

Provide information about user skills and the functions you think that kit has.

You are asking me to prove something but not ask the same of hikermor no matter how many times he has demonstrated his defiance? I'll be the one to set the example.

The skill varies from user to user.

Untill now you only mentioned:
- 'grey man'
- that organizer thing.

Grey man is pretty much crap tacticool LARPers seems to keep on going about.

I already listed many functions but I will list them again but more organized. Regardless of what anyone thinks of the "grey man," it remains one of the SEVENTY2's functions.

Although an organizer is handy for specific items; like a first aid kit unfamiliar to the user. Having everything in that organizer is in practice unusable.

Again, regardless of what you may think about a specific function, it nevertheless remains as a function. Onto the list.

• It was designed to be able to blend into an urban while at the same time incorporate reflective material for nighttime safety.
  • The shell can be used as a flotation device or a waterproof storage container though both of these functions cannot be used at the same time.
  • Though not rocket science, the shell has a whistle integrated into the shell thereby minimizing space and weight.
    The shell has a mounting point for the flashlight for hands-free use.
  • The organizer divides the contents into the eight respective categories, includes labeling for not only the group but for the individual components. The organizer includes color-coding respective to the category such as blue for water and red for first aid. The organizer also uses icons as part of its labeling system to help the user if they are disadvantaged in any way.
  • Survival instructions are printed on the side of the organizer.
  • The organizer can double as a backpack if the shell is needed for something else.
  • The backing incorporates holes so they can be used as improvised as a pair of snowshoes or two splints. The backing can also be used as a snow shovel.
  • The kit uses multi-purpose items when possible. The cleaning syringe for the water purifier can double as an irrigation syringe. The pack of antibacterial wipes can double as toilet paper.
  • Though later discontinued, the kit did have improvised tender.

It is because of most of these functions that I have serious doubts that Hikermor can do what he claimed that he could do. I do not believe it is possible unless he uses the shell and organizer or builds his own.

Redacted for tone.

Redacted by Jeanette for using a double negative.

Jeanette Isabelle

Edited by Jeanette_Isabelle (04/14/21 02:38 PM)

#298830 - 04/14/21 02:33 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: chaosmagnet]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I don't agree with you here -- every kit, piece of gear, training class, and so on should be judged by the requirements of the person considering it.

If we can't judge a kit or even a tool, such as a Swiss Army Knife or a Leatherman, by its functions then any claim or review is strictly meaningless.

Jeanette Isabelle

#298831 - 04/14/21 02:39 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland

If we can't judge a kit or even a tool, such as a Swiss Army Knife or a Leatherman, by its functions then any claim or review is strictly meaningless.

You are right. All reviews are just one persons opinion/experience. Not the ultimate truth.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.