The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#298781 - 04/11/21 07:02 AM Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Just for fun I thought it would be interesting to post this review. [video:youtube]https://youtu.be/hcTr58e0h7o[/video]

He's not an expert he does a pretty thorough review of the kit contents. grin

#298782 - 04/11/21 01:16 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Could not watch the whole thing... I can walk into my local REI blindfolded and come up with better gear (and cheaper!) than this ghastly assortment of rip off specials,,,

You are correct! I don't think highly of this minimalist, over priced junk.

#298783 - 04/11/21 02:15 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: hikermor]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I see an advantage to a few of the premade kits I have seen. The first is to be the grey man. When on foot, one needs a bag that does not call attention to its self. Likewise, there are home kits that can hide in plain sight. Meaning, it can be a part of modern decor and not alert people that it contains life-saving supplies. The second advantage to some kits is their uniformity. This is a psychological advantage, especially in a stressful situation. The third is, even if the manufacturer adds something bulky and heavy such as a folding shovel, the company reduces space and weight in other areas that are hard to duplicate outside of an R&D lab.

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I can walk into my local REI blindfolded and come up with better gear (and cheaper!) than this ghastly assortment of rip off specials,

I hear this a lot. I would love for someone to shop anywhere except for Uncharted and build a kit that has ALL of the advantages that the SEVENTY2 has to offer for the suggested retail price or less.

Jeanette Isabelle

#298784 - 04/11/21 03:09 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Well for one, let's start with the backpack. You adhere to the grey man (or woman) strategy. How dos carrying a branded survival pack help there?

I think the grey man stuff is excessive paranoia, anyway.

I can pick at least three of my current daypacks that are better built, with greater capacity, and comfort. They also have adequate hip belts, a crucial item.

Their multitool is highly suspect. Some no name knockoff leatherman. My EDC is a Skeletool and I have several Ltools on the shelf which are better.

Their canteen is a joke. I often use recycled energy drink containers with more capacity and greater capability, among others. The capacity of their canteen is inadequate for almost any purpose.

I was blown away at the audacity of including alkaline batteries (alkaleaks) especially in the well known deficient three AAA format. At least use primary lithium batteries, for heaven's sake!

Chintsy little flashlight. Your primary light should be a dependable headlamp, backed up with a decent flashlight (probably your EDC)

I can go on, but the bottom line is - establish your own emergency kit, aligned with your capabilities and situation. Do not depend on a one-size-fits-all solution with an eye of the bottom line.

When you are trying to stay warm and the wind is blowing, and the rain or snow is falling, the last thing that matters is the price you paid for your gear. Does it work or not, that is the question...

It helps if you are familiar with the items in your kit. That is why you begin with existing gear that you are familiar with and that you know. That's a considerable savings right there.

Another point. your emergency kit should not be put on a shelf, gathering dust. For several years (more than two decades) I kept a bag packed and ready to go as a member of a volunteer search and rescue unit. This bag was changed on a seasonal basis, as we contended with desert heat and sub zero conditions at different times of the year and a variety of circumstances - technical climbing terrain, caves, swift water, etc.

I know you favor this kit, but it is high priced garbage, believe me...

#298785 - 04/11/21 04:20 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

Well for one, let's start with the backpack. You adhere to the grey man (or woman) strategy. How dos carrying a branded survival pack help there?

I have the SEVENTY2, not the pro. With what I have, the branding on the outside is not noticeable until you shine a light on it. The solution addresses conflicting problems. Grey or dull colors help a person to blend in but is in danger at night if they are unseen by motorists. Bright colors or reflective materials provide safety at night but draw unwanted attention during the day. Including reflective material that is the same color as the pack but can reflect light is the most well-balanced solution that I've seen yet.

I can pick at least three of my current daypacks that are better built, with greater capacity, and comfort. They also have adequate hip belts, a crucial item.

Their multitool is highly suspect. Some no name knockoff leatherman. My EDC is a Skeletool and I have several Ltools on the shelf which are better.

Their canteen is a joke. I often use recycled energy drink containers with more capacity and greater capability, among others. The capacity of their canteen is inadequate for almost any purpose.

I was blown away at the audacity of including alkaline batteries (alkaleaks) especially in the well known deficient three AAA format. At least use primary lithium batteries, for heaven's sake!

Chintsy little flashlight. Your primary light should be a dependable headlamp, backed up with a decent flashlight (probably your EDC)

I can go on, but the bottom line is - establish your own emergency kit, aligned with your capabilities and situation. Do not depend on a one-size-fits-all solution with an eye of the bottom line.

I said ALL of the advantages. One of the advantages I mentioned that you have not included is uniformity. If you are going to claim that you can come up with something better than the SEVENTY2, then it needs to be better for your claim to hold water.

That said, there is a problem with all pre-made kits that you and I can agree with and that is their one-size-fits-most nature. That problem can be mitigated by making modifications, such as what I have done with my off-the-shelf medical kit.

Jeanette Isabelle

#298786 - 04/11/21 05:48 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

What do you mean by uniformity? And what are its supposed advantages? I prefer the criteria of suitability and dependability.

In that light, the inclusion of alkileak batteries is negligence, verging on criminal, especially in a kit that presumably will not be used or inspected frequently. the only possible reason is lower initial cost, paying no attention to the numerous disadvantages, primarily undependability and limited useful life.

How far would you carry this grey person routine? Let's say we are milling around in some sort of SHTF scenario and someone is in physical distress, obviously in need of first aid or better attention.

Would you emerge from your grey mode, open your pack, extract you FAK, (thereby revealing your prepared status-Gasp!) and render aid?

For the record, I have been rendering aid, both on the job, and as a volunteer, and have suffered no ill consequences.

I think the grey person mode is absolutely garbage, unjustified by real world experience. Bright colors will not get you in trouble, but dull colors at night will kill you.

#298787 - 04/11/21 07:08 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

What do you mean by uniformity? And what are its supposed advantages?

When a person opens the kit and looks at the contents and the organizational system, how does it look? Does it appear as if someone grabbed random items and threw them into a bag or is everything clearly marked and organized with contents that are easy to find. This provides a psychological advantage. Moreover, it will inspire confidence in the user if the kit is presented as being well thought out. Whereas, even if a kit contains top-quality components, where's the confidence if it gives the impression that someone grabbed items off of an REI shelf and dropped them into a backpack?

I prefer the criteria of suitability and dependability.

Remember the topic of our discussion. You claimed that you can come up with something better by shopping at REI. For it to be better, it has to be at least as good as the SEVENTY2 in every aspect.

How far would you carry this grey person routine? Let's say we are milling around in some sort of SHTF scenario and someone is in physical distress, obviously in need of first aid or better attention.

Would you emerge from your grey mode, open your pack, extract you FAK, (thereby revealing your prepared status-Gasp!) and render aid?

Would revealing your hand, proverbially speaking, make things worse for you? For the sake of discussion, it does. How bad is the injury? Is someone losing a lot of blood? If yes, the injury takes priority. If no, seek seclusion while still injured.

For the record, I have been rendering aid, both on the job, and as a volunteer, and have suffered no ill consequences.

Let's stick to the subject. You claimed that you could come up with something better than the SEVENTY2.

Bright colors will not get you in trouble, but dull colors at night will kill you.

I already addressed that in my previous post. "With what I have, the branding on the outside is not noticeable until you shine a light on it. The solution addresses conflicting problems. Grey or dull colors help a person to blend in but is in danger at night if they are unseen by motorists. Bright colors or reflective materials provide safety at night but draw unwanted attention during the day. Including reflective material that is the same color as the pack but can reflect light is the most well-balanced solution that I've seen yet."

Jeanette Isabelle

#298788 - 04/11/21 08:40 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

The problem is you are comparing apples to rotten tomatoes - decent or better quality items to junk that doesn't work/unreliable or a real FAK vs their booboo stuff

Interesting that you would stop for obvious bleeding, but nothing else, presumably fractures, concussion, or general unconsciousness - those can be pretty serious. Obviously, initial appearance is significant to you.

it will take a bit of time and some research, but I will come up with a list or two, probably one incorporating things at hand and the other all purchased from REI. probably some worthwhile additions as well.

#298789 - 04/11/21 10:28 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

The problem is you are comparing apples to rotten tomatoes - decent or better quality items to junk that doesn't work/unreliable or a real FAK vs their booboo stuff

I know that a person can buy better quality components than what's included but how is it possible to build a kit better if you do not include everything the SEVENTY2 has to offer?

Interesting that you would stop for obvious bleeding, but nothing else, presumably fractures, concussion, or general unconsciousness - those can be pretty serious. Obviously, initial appearance is significant to you.

Hikermore, you were not specific. Where is the fracture? Concussions and unconsciousness are outside the scope of the small FAK.

it will take a bit of time and some research, but I will come up with a list or two, probably one incorporating things at hand and the other all purchased from REI. probably some worthwhile additions as well.

No actual building is required but I need to know how you would theoretically build it. How would you make a backpack double as a flotation device or carry water, be able to reflect light for nighttime safety, and still be able to blend in? How would you include the attachment for the flashlight? How would you attach the whistle? How would you organize the components and label the organizer? How would you make the organizer double as a backpack so that another person can use the shell for something else? How would you include the survival instructions? How would make the organizer backing be multi-purpose items including two splints? What would you use for an irrigation syringe without adding an irrigation syringe to it? What would you use for improvised tender in addition to the cotton ball in the match safe? How would you do all that while keeping the weight down to 11 pounds?

Jeanette Isabelle

#298790 - 04/11/21 11:51 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I didn't post this just to stir the pot but because we had some good discussion of this kit a ways back. And I like the guy that reviewed the kit. Sadly I'm down to one good arm as I had shoulder surgery Friday so it's slow and laborious to post right now. blush cry

#298791 - 04/11/21 11:57 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I did post a reply at yt, done before my surgery under my real name. Fairly lengthy. I feel there's a few good ideas but imoko it's a bit overpriced and I don't think all the priorities are right.

My main point is that addressing these commercial kits can bring the subjrvt inyo focus as we discuss the pros and cons. smile

#298792 - 04/12/21 12:23 AM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Just off the top of my head for a few of your questions. Each person has their own individual backpack with their own gear in it, so they are independent if separated. And each pack is decent quality. Mrs. Hikermor has her own bag with good contents...

'be able to reflect light for nighttime safety and still be able to blend in" I don't get your meaning here. I am not in the least concerned with blending in. Finding splinting material is trivial and easily done, although I would prefer to use a SAM splint. If you are referring to the whistle attachment on the chest strap, these are commonly available accessories - I have several.

I think we are coming at this from different perspectives. You seem to be envisioning the somewhat mythical total societal collapse where everyone goes crazy and total chaos ensues.

I am more concerned with getting out of the woods and back to society, although societal upheaval is a possibility. Thus I am more concerned with high visibility. This is far more common circumstance.

This brings to mind that the kit omits a crucial item - a signal mirror - don't leave home without it.

More later - this is a fun project. Thank you, Phaedrus, for stirring up the ashes....

#298793 - 04/12/21 12:26 AM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Yeah, it always leads to some good discussion. grin

#298794 - 04/12/21 01:00 AM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Phaedrus]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
Also posted some initial thoughts on the video 5 days ago..

"Pretty sure the manufacturers of the gear prefer to brand it, so seen as less competitive to other customers buying the same thing?

One problem I have is that apart from the Sawyer kit and bag, just looks like someone as browsed Alibaba and thrown it together. There is no evidence that they even took the kit out and tried it. Like the shovel just looked "cool" (and just few bucks) so it was added... it has an obvious latrine use, but how many times do you poop in 3 days on minimal calories.

The flashlight is instantly recognisable by flashlight enthusiasts, $3. No headlamps."

#298795 - 04/12/21 01:15 AM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

For you to build a better version of the SEVENTY2 than Uncharted, that kit that you built would have to be able to do everything that the Uncharted kit can do. If you can't do that, what are we to make of your claim?

'be able to reflect light for nighttime safety and still be able to blend in" I don't get your meaning here.

To address your question, this is the third time that I'm having to say this, "With what I have, the branding on the outside is not noticeable until you shine a light on it. The solution addresses conflicting problems. Grey or dull colors help a person to blend in but is in danger at night if they are unseen by motorists. Bright colors or reflective materials provide safety at night but draw unwanted attention during the day. Including reflective material that is the same color as the pack but can reflect light is the most well-balanced solution that I've seen yet."

I am not in the least concerned with blending in.

It does not matter if you are interested, you are the one who made that bold claim.

Finding splinting material is trivial and easily done,

That does not matter. The kit in question has the material to make two improvised splints.

If you are referring to the whistle attachment on the chest strap, these are commonly available accessories - I have several.

Good.

I think we are coming at this from different perspectives. You seem to be envisioning the somewhat mythical total societal collapse where everyone goes crazy and total chaos ensues.

What perspective? You claimed you could make a better version of the kit in question.

I am more concerned with getting out of the woods and back to society, although societal upheaval is a possibility. Thus I am more concerned with high visibility. This is far more common circumstance.

What does that have to do with your claim? You can make a better version of that kit, right? Isn't that what you claimed? Guess what, that kit is grey.

This brings to mind that the kit omits a crucial item - a signal mirror - don't leave home without it.

You did say you can make it better. Adding a signal mirror would make it better.

Jeanette Isabelle

#298796 - 04/12/21 01:45 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
... even if a kit contains top-quality components, where's the confidence if it gives the impression that someone grabbed items off of an REI shelf and dropped them into a backpack?

For a personal kit the confidence comes from carefully selecting the components. Ziplock bags may provide containers for different modules.

[quote=hikermor]I prefer the criteria of suitability and dependability.

For it to be better, it has to be at least as good as the SEVENTY2 in every aspect.

If it is more suitable and more dependable, it may already be better. Leaving something out may be an improvement.
BTW: To judge whether it is better, audience and requirements are crucial.

Grey or dull colors help a person to blend in but is in danger at night if they are unseen by motorists. Bright colors or reflective materials provide safety at night but draw unwanted attention during the day.

That may be a misconception. Grey or dull colors make it hard for motorist to notice you in the day time as well. That is dangerous. I observed a trend to wear HiVis in urban settings for that reason. People want to be seen. "Blending in" means to adapt to the environment. The grey pack with the logo will make you stick out to the hunter in many situations. Ask geocachers for reference.

#298797 - 04/12/21 01:47 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Just added up my figures - came to a total of $432, subtracting REI's money back patronage dividend (typically 10%), the total expenditure would be under $400, substantially cheaper than the $562 quoted price tag.

I would add several items, notably a compass, signal mirror, and a headlamp. Another item of huge importance is a map or mapping capability - my preference is a reasonably up to date USGS based topographic map, like those issued by National Geographic.

Food is an interesting issue. As the reviewer correctly states, good meals are not an immediate concern. This is true if one is sedentary and not doing arduous travel. If hiking, better chow is a real good idea - at least some kind of caffeine for morale, if nothing else. I deleted food from my above calculations - that is a highly personal issue. I tend to grab GORP, a few energy bars, and a Tanka bar or three as I head out the door - many more calories, and actually nutritious...

In the real world, of course, you will not set down and order blindly from any catalog. Begin with things at hand, items with which you are familiar, and then add to the assemblage as you run across promising gadgets which will eventually be folded into the mix, based on trial and experience. Ultimately this will be cheaper, not that it matters. When your gear must perform, the last consideration is the cost of the item - does it work as expected?

And ideally, this equipment is used, demonstrating its capability, and not stowed away, awaiting a FIAT (Future Imaginary Apocalyptic Time) when society disintegrates and murderous mobs emerge. FIATs may occur, but erupting volcanoes are more common.

One further issue:

"Hikermore, you were not specific. Where is the fracture? Concussions and unconsciousness are outside the scope of the small FAK."

This shows the importance of training over mere gadgetry. Usually the most important issue -is there a fracture and where, precisely, is it? cannot be determined definitively in the field. you need a X-ray, at a minimum. But a properly trained first aider can recognize the potential signs of a fracture and tend to them, often without necessarily opening the FAK at all. Same deal with concussions and unconsciousness - you need the requisite training to recognize appropriate signs in a thorough patient survey and treat accordingly. A small FAK may indeed e useful. The critical element is the training and experience you bring to the situation, and not all the goodies in your FAK..(That also applies to life in general.)

Please spell my avatar correctly. Rant over and out.

#298798 - 04/12/21 02:16 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: M_a_x]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: M_a_x
If it is more suitable and more dependable, it may already be better.

You would have a different kit, not a better SEVENTY2.

Jeanette Isabelle

#298799 - 04/12/21 02:50 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Phaedrus]
Ren Offline
Addict

Talking of food, arduous travel and caffeine...

Recently discovered a company, www.SaltStick.com , selling electrolyte (salt) tablets, and capsules.

And as someone that occasionally suffers from cramp, especially when working in higher temps, thought might be useful addition.

Bought few packs (10 chewable tablets per packet in convenient resealable packaging) of their fastchews, to try out when gets hotter here.

Anyone else heard of them, or tried them?

#298800 - 04/12/21 03:31 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

Just added up my figures - came to a total of $432, subtracting REI's money back patronage dividend (typically 10%), the total expenditure would be under $400, substantially cheaper than the $562 quoted price tag.

You have not stated how you are going to make that kit do everything that the SEVENTY2 can do. If you can't make your kit do everything the SEVENTY2 can do, it's not a better version of the SEVENTY2.

This shows the importance of training over mere gadgetry.

We're discussing the SEVENTY2, not the skill of the user.

Please spell my avatar correctly. Rant over and out.

Capitalizing your screen name is the only difference I see. Is that the problem?

Jeanette Isabelle

#298801 - 04/12/21 03:46 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

There is no final "e" on my screen name.

#298802 - 04/12/21 03:53 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

There is no final "e" on my screen name.

Oh. Sorry. Didn't see it. Getting back to the subject, will you be backing up your claim or not?

Jeanette Isabelle

#298803 - 04/12/21 04:01 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Ren]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Sounds very similar to Nuun tables, sold ten to a capsule - dissolved in 16 oz. of water. Designed for electrolyte replacement. I find them very convenient after activity, especially when it is hot...

#298804 - 04/12/21 05:09 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: hikermor]
Ren Offline
Addict

Yeah, same function. Just don't need to dissolve in water.

They do have a capsule version with 30mg of caffeine.

Edited by Ren (04/12/21 05:11 PM)

#298805 - 04/12/21 05:14 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

If it is more suitable and more dependable, it may already be better.

You would have a different kit, not a better SEVENTY2.

Jeanette Isabelle

Something different would indeed be different.

There is a place for anything. Just like how that video ended.

You seem to a bit too defensive about your choice.

#298806 - 04/12/21 05:53 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Tjin]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Tjin

Just because I bought the kit does not mean I have a dog in the fight. The issue is claiming to build a better SEVENTY2 but can't back it up. All that he has proven is that he can build a different kit.

Jeanette Isabelle

#298807 - 04/12/21 06:10 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Phaedrus]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

What a good should contain depends on the person. People have different needs, different environments where life, different skills.

Any equipment tailored to the specific user is better than a random kit made by somebody else.

You also seem to have a weird obsession with 'grey man'. Use your high school/college bag. Everybody seems to still have one. Nobody will think of it twice. It also survives high school, so that was in general a pretty good durability test.

#298808 - 04/13/21 12:30 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Phaedrus]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
The "grey man" does not mean grey litterarely.It´s about blending in. If you´re in a place where everybody wear tutu´s and pirate shirts, you better too, unless you want to stand out.

#298809 - 04/13/21 01:52 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Phaedrus]
Ren Offline
Addict

Here's a bit of a quick experiment, just to confirm my feeling that the kit is overpriced.

So gone through the contents list and tried to find acceptable alternatives in two different stores, one here in South Wales, and another in Finland.

Neither store sells a radio, matches.

A tube tent I would personally would never buy. Both stores carry DDHammocks 3mx3m tarp, and Heinne stocks them in orange.
Both stores only stock one single AA headlamp, the Fenix HM23. Wouldn't normally be in top 3 choices but all they had.
Both stores had AA lithium primaries, again not first choice brands (Energizer), Varta are made in Germany so probably quality, Nextorch no idea.

Multitool is bit of contentious issue, would rather 2 pocket knives (SAKs) and a single pair of combination pliers. Would certainly be cheaper than both a Leatherman or Swisstool.

Water filter selection is both stores in poor, either high end Katadyn or water straw. Left out for now.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ltQNrcmDjetQCpkLwoeDmJAUuBoXGplWCVQepYRyXAA/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Ren (04/13/21 02:35 PM)

#298810 - 04/13/21 02:01 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Just because I bought the kit does not mean I have a dog in the fight. The issue is claiming to build a better SEVENTY2 but can't back it up. All that he has proven is that he can build a different kit.

Jeanette Isabelle

hikermor´s original claim was that he could come up with better gear. The result is likely to be different. The SEVENTY2 is just not a good point to start for many people.

#298811 - 04/13/21 05:36 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: M_a_x]
Carpal Tunnel

hikermor´s original claim was that he could come up with better gear. The result is likely to be different.

For a kit to be better, the kit one puts together has to at least do everything that the SEVENTY2 can do. Correct?

Jeanette Isabelle

#298812 - 04/13/21 06:42 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Not neccessarily. A kit has to meet the requirements of the user and resolve conflicting requirements in an acceptable way. The kit that does it better is the better kit. Seasonal changes in requirements may make a modular kit better. Leaving things out that you do not need may also make the kit better. It saves bulk and weight.

#298813 - 04/13/21 07:09 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I went though the REI website and listed the current retail prices for all the equivalent items in the 72 kit. should have basically the same capabilities. For very little more, one could surpass the capabilities of the 72 kit, by adding a compass and a signal mirror. Food was the single exception, their choice being relatively inadequate for any reasonable level of activity (one does not burn many calories sitting in a lifeboat and the rations are fine if you are completely sedentary.

In the real world, one would shop even more carefully and achieve a result less costly and much more satisfactory. I will admit that I did cheat - at no time was I blindfolded.

I startle at the language "do everything that the 72 kit can do" - the kit, or any kit, doesn't do anything. The user employs the items in the kit and other resources to achieve fire, shelter, etc. The critical component is the knowledge, skills, capabilities, and determination of the survivor-to-be.

This kit is so inadequate in so many ways. I think we covered most of then in the other thread. Anyone buying this hodge-podge is throwing their money away.

#298814 - 04/13/21 07:19 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: M_a_x]
Carpal Tunnel

Unless otherwise stated, a comparison of kits has to be judged on the functions of the kit, not the requirements of the potential user.

Jeanette Isabelle

#298815 - 04/13/21 07:26 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

I went though the REI website and listed the current retail prices for all the equivalent items in the 72 kit. should have basically the same capabilities.

Where is this list?

I will admit that I did cheat - at no time was I blindfolded.

That does not matter as long as you can do what you said you can do.

Jeanette Isabelle

#298816 - 04/13/21 09:37 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

scrawled on a sheet of scrap paper....

#298817 - 04/13/21 09:51 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

scrawled on a sheet of scrap paper....

How am I supposed to know that everything on your piece of paper can do everything the SEVENTY2 can do?

Jeanette Isabelle

#298818 - 04/13/21 11:55 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Here is the relevant post:

I would add several items, notably a compass, signal mirror, and a headlamp. Another item of huge importance is a map or mapping capability - my preference is a reasonably up to date USGS based topographic map, like those issued by National Geographic.

Food is an interesting issue. As the reviewer correctly states, good meals are not an immediate concern. This is true if one is sedentary and not doing arduous travel. If hiking, better chow is a real good idea - at least some kind of caffeine for morale, if nothing else. I deleted food from my above calculations - that is a highly personal issue. I tend to grab GORP, a few energy bars, and a Tanka bar or three as I head out the door - many more calories, and actually nutritious...

In the real world, of course, you will not set down and order blindly from any catalog. Begin with things at hand, items with which you are familiar, and then add to the assemblage as you run across promising gadgets which will eventually be folded into the mix, based on trial and experience. Ultimately this will be cheaper, not that it matters. When your gear must perform, the last consideration is the cost of the item - does it work as expected?

And ideally, this equipment is used, demonstrating its capability, and not stowed away, awaiting a FIAT (Future Imaginary Apocalyptic Time) when society disintegrates and murderous mobs emerge. FIATs may occur, but erupting volcanoes are more common.
END OF QUOTE

Actually, I had trouble finding items of as low effectiveness as the items included in the 73; I substituted a headlamp for their flashlight.- Most glaringly the omission of a headlamp, a signal mirror, and a compass. This is an astonishing deficiency, and that isn't the end of the shortcomings .

Especially lacking are the cold weather items. Yes, they do include mylar sheets which reflect 90% of your body head. Read the fine print - they reflect 90%mo of your radiant heat. That works well in space, but here on earth, convection and conduction are the dominant mechanisms for heat transfer. The mylar sheets do keep off rain and wind which is some benefit.

I thought it interesting that they did include a beanie, although a balaclava helmet would have been better, but they omitted a full brimmed hat, a vital item in hot climates. Of course this is a problem due to the lack of specificity with regard to climate and environment, always a problem with one-size-fits-all assemblages.

I sincerely hope that if you really intend to use this kit, you will give it a trial run or two (even just in your backyard would be sufficient) and make adjustments and additions accordingly. Your life is worth it.

Edited by hikermor (04/14/21 12:00 AM)

#298819 - 04/14/21 12:12 AM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

I feel like a broken vinal record. You can add whatever you want but if you are unable to put together a kit that can at least perform the minimum then you have not done what you claim that you can do.

Jeanette Isabelle

#298820 - 04/14/21 02:46 AM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

You indeed are repeating yourself. I feel further discussion will not serve any useful purpose. I hate to put it that way, but it is true. It is impossible to literally duplicate this kit from the REI stock, because too many REI items are of higher capability. They can accomplish all the functions of which this limited kit is capable and more besides, for less that 400 dollars. Add in some of the really important items and for about that amount you will have a much more capable assemblage.

Realistically, mix in some of your own tried and true items and the cost is even less. not that it matters when a crisis develops.

I will comment no further. Best wishes....

#298821 - 04/14/21 07:01 AM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

can do everything the SEVENTY2 can do?

Equipment doesn't do anything. It's a combination of the user and the equipment that can do something.

If this kit is targeted at experienced people; well most can make a better kit suited for them selfs for less.

if this kit is targeted at inexperienced people; well it needs some simplification or instruction. For example; You can't give a Ferro rod to a random person and expect that they know what it is, how to use it, the skill to use it, and knowing what you can light and how/where to collect proper tinder from. (tinder not provided in this kit). Even the matchless requires some skill and knowledge.

#298822 - 04/14/21 11:54 AM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Unless otherwise stated, a comparison of kits has to be judged on the functions of the kit, not the requirements of the potential user.

Jeanette Isabelle

That is not correct. It depends on context. The functions of a kit always have to be judged on the requirements of a potential user. The user may be fictional. Without requirements and user profiles a valid comparison of kits is hardly feasible.
If you define requirements that only the SEVENTY2 can fulfill, this kit is the optimum. If you define a target audience the outcome may be different.

#298823 - 04/14/21 12:12 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

If your proposed kit can do everything the SEVENTY2 can do then show me. It's because of your refusal that I'm having to repeat myself.

I don't understand this behavior of insisting on a claim and yet refuse to show me. If I were as confident about a claim as you seem to be, I would be eager to back it up. The fact that you refuse to do so makes me very suspicious.

Jeanette Isabelle

#298824 - 04/14/21 12:18 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Tjin]
Carpal Tunnel

Equipment doesn't do anything.

In other words, the functions.

Jeanette Isabelle

#298825 - 04/14/21 12:28 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Equipment doesn't do anything.

In other words, the functions.

Jeanette Isabelle

Provide information about user skills and the functions you think that kit has.

Untill now you only mentioned:
- 'grey man'
- that organizer thing.

Grey man is pretty much crap tacticool LARPers seems to keep on going about.

Although an organizer is handy for specific items; like a first aid kit unfamiliar to the user. Having everything in that organizer is in practice unusable.

#298826 - 04/14/21 01:05 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: M_a_x]
Carpal Tunnel

That is not correct. It depends on context. The functions of a kit always have to be judged on the requirements of a potential user. The user may be fictional. Without requirements and user profiles a valid comparison of kits is hardly feasible.

When making a blanket statement, which is what Hikermor has been doing all along, a kit needs to be judged on its functions.

I seem to recall a person from this forum judging kits based on the functions and not the requirements of a potential user.

http://www.equipped.org/prsnlkit.htm
http://www.equipped.org/1personkits.htm

Jeanette Isabelle

#298827 - 04/14/21 02:10 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA

I don't agree with you here -- every kit, piece of gear, training class, and so on should be judged by the requirements of the person considering it.

For example, it might make sense for someone on this thread (not necessarily you, Jeanette_Isabelle) to take a "basics of cybersecurity" class to educate that person on avoiding account takeovers, scams, malware infections and so on. But for me to take such a class is less valuable, as I usually teach them.

Similarly, our medical professionals probably would not get a lot of benefit out of an 8-hour refresher on treating gunshot wounds for firearms instructors. I try to take such a class every year, and I've learned something from each one.

A kit that I built makes sense for me -- it's designed around my skillset and the problems I think I might face. I think most of us here, if we're buying a pre-built kit, it's with an eye to supplement or improve upon it for our purposes.

#298828 - 04/14/21 02:23 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Tjin]
Carpal Tunnel

Provide information about user skills and the functions you think that kit has.

You are asking me to prove something but not ask the same of hikermor no matter how many times he has demonstrated his defiance? I'll be the one to set the example.

The skill varies from user to user.

Untill now you only mentioned:
- 'grey man'
- that organizer thing.

Grey man is pretty much crap tacticool LARPers seems to keep on going about.

I already listed many functions but I will list them again but more organized. Regardless of what anyone thinks of the "grey man," it remains one of the SEVENTY2's functions.

Although an organizer is handy for specific items; like a first aid kit unfamiliar to the user. Having everything in that organizer is in practice unusable.

Again, regardless of what you may think about a specific function, it nevertheless remains as a function. Onto the list.

• It was designed to be able to blend into an urban while at the same time incorporate reflective material for nighttime safety.
  • The shell can be used as a flotation device or a waterproof storage container though both of these functions cannot be used at the same time.
  • Though not rocket science, the shell has a whistle integrated into the shell thereby minimizing space and weight.
    The shell has a mounting point for the flashlight for hands-free use.
  • The organizer divides the contents into the eight respective categories, includes labeling for not only the group but for the individual components. The organizer includes color-coding respective to the category such as blue for water and red for first aid. The organizer also uses icons as part of its labeling system to help the user if they are disadvantaged in any way.
  • Survival instructions are printed on the side of the organizer.
  • The organizer can double as a backpack if the shell is needed for something else.
  • The backing incorporates holes so they can be used as improvised as a pair of snowshoes or two splints. The backing can also be used as a snow shovel.
  • The kit uses multi-purpose items when possible. The cleaning syringe for the water purifier can double as an irrigation syringe. The pack of antibacterial wipes can double as toilet paper.
  • Though later discontinued, the kit did have improvised tender.

It is because of most of these functions that I have serious doubts that Hikermor can do what he claimed that he could do. I do not believe it is possible unless he uses the shell and organizer or builds his own.

Redacted for tone.

Redacted by Jeanette for using a double negative.

Jeanette Isabelle

Edited by Jeanette_Isabelle (04/14/21 02:38 PM)

#298830 - 04/14/21 02:33 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: chaosmagnet]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I don't agree with you here -- every kit, piece of gear, training class, and so on should be judged by the requirements of the person considering it.

If we can't judge a kit or even a tool, such as a Swiss Army Knife or a Leatherman, by its functions then any claim or review is strictly meaningless.

Jeanette Isabelle

#298831 - 04/14/21 02:39 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland

If we can't judge a kit or even a tool, such as a Swiss Army Knife or a Leatherman, by its functions then any claim or review is strictly meaningless.

You are right. All reviews are just one persons opinion/experience. Not the ultimate truth.

#298833 - 04/14/21 04:13 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Phaedrus]
Ren Offline
Addict

This thread reminded me of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MrSbAjFWEo

It's a helicopter pilot recounting his experience with a "survival kit" plus lots of other gear and a spare 15 gallons of fuel.

Also couple of videos of him undergoing training by doing an overnight with his survival kit. Quickly learn what sucks and is missing.

https://www.youtube.com/c/bradleyfriesen/search?query=survival%20training

#298835 - 04/14/21 04:48 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Jeanette Isabelle

Claims need a defined context for meaning.
A good review presents the features of a tool with reasonably little opinion. Done right it provides usefull information.
Judging means evaluating the features in the context of the intended use. That requires a context to start with.
A Swiss Army Knife is a versatile good quality tool (remember what McGyver could accomplish with his SAK). When you need a heavy chopper, the SAK is not up to the job.

#298838 - 04/14/21 05:28 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: M_a_x]
Carpal Tunnel

What if a claim was made as a blanket statement?

Jeanette Isabelle

#298842 - 04/14/21 07:00 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

What if a claim was made as a blanket statement?

Jeanette Isabelle

That does not make a difference.
The blanket statement probably has an implicit context. Viewing it with a different context in mind is bound to lead to misunderstandings.
In my line of work we use user profiles and user stories for context - basically tasks a fictional user wants to accomplish with the product and properties the product must have. The fictional user has some properties too (skills, knowledge, physical condition and other boundary conditions). User stories may be mutually exclusive. User stories and user properties may not match.
As an example for the 72h kit:
  • the user wants to eat at least 800 kcal per day for 3 days
  • the user wants to store at least 64 ounces of water
  • the user wants to boil at least 16 ounces water at a time
  • the user wants to filter water
  • the user wants to carry less than 20 lbs total
  • the user wants to store the kit in a car

#298845 - 04/14/21 07:43 PM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: M_a_x]
Carpal Tunnel

The blanket statement probably has an implicit context.

The person making the statement needs to make a real effort in being clear to the reader.

Viewing it with a different context in mind is bound to lead to misunderstandings.

The only context I view a commercial product, be it a kit or a multi-tool, are its features. After all, that is how such products are both marketed and reviewed.

Jeanette Isabelle

#298850 - 04/15/21 01:48 AM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Phaedrus]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I have no desire to get into this fight. It is going nowhere.

I can only offer my personal experience, for perspective. Take it for what you will, or ignore; I really don't care. I have no dog in this hunt.

In the many years I backpacked solo in the Rocky Mountains, I spent endless hours thinking out armchair lists and assembling gear. Weight was poison, but robust capabilities meant survival. I learned to keep a sheet of paper in my kit, and on these multi-day trips I would leave short, cryptic notes to my armchair self. What worked, and what didn't. It taught my armchair planning self humility: trust your field notes.

I have learned from experience to carry this philosophy forward. Kits that are not tested in the field have unseen failure modes. Hopefully, testing them will ensure they do not fail at a critical moment.

My 2c.

#298851 - 04/15/21 11:31 AM Re: Youtube review of Seventy2 Pro [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

The blanket statement probably has an implicit context.

The person making the statement needs to make a real effort in being clear to the reader.

I agree.

Viewing it with a different context in mind is bound to lead to misunderstandings.

The only context I view a commercial product, be it a kit or a multi-tool, are its features. After all, that is how such products are both marketed and reviewed.

No offence intendend but that is very likely not your context. Your context is your intended use of the product and your expectations. After all, that is what you evaluate the features against. It is very easy to forget that.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.