Anti-zombie machete Water bottle
Monocular sun glasses
Ham radio fm radio
bivvy sack ( camo) Lyft app
small handgun small paperback
carabiner no carabiner
100' of milspec paracord 2x safety pins
2 MRE's 2 cliff bars

#298597 - 03/11/21 08:48 PM Re: Mine vs. theirs - the Get Home Bag [Re: TeacherRO]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Seems to be the GHB of one of the paramilitary types who populate "survivalism." They have a pessimistic view of events, forecasting that when society collapses, people will turn lawless and riot, searching desperately for food and necessities, while to avoid them, one must relocate to a BOL, ideally close to or within wilderness, there to recreate a 19th century lifestyle.

Others may have a different viewpoint. I have sought out wilderness most of my adult life, either for recreation, business (archaeology) or humanitarian concerns (volunteer search and rescue). There the context has always been, when things go sour, to leave the wild and get to town and the blessings of civilization. Guns and ammo have a very small role to play in that scenario. Camo clothing is irrelevant (and not very stylish (IMHO).

There will be change in the future, most of it for the better, but there will be disasters, both large and small scale. It is wise to plan since many situations are predictable, but putting a lot of your resources into weaponry will be misguided'

I know not everyone agrees with this, so let a lively discussion .

#298600 - 03/12/21 04:09 PM Re: Mine vs. theirs - the Get Home Bag [Re: TeacherRO]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Code:
their GHB                      My ghb
Anti-zombie machete            Water bottle
Monocular                      sun glasses
Ham radio                      fm radio
bivvy sack ( camo)             Lyft app
small handgun                  small paperback
carabiner                      no carabiner
100' of milspec paracord 2x    safety pins
2 MRE's                        2 cliff bars

Anyone who needs a machette to get home is entirely too rural for my tastes. I do carry a folding knife. And a water bottle.
Agreed, sunglasses are useful, a monocular ... why?
Ham transceiver for "the big one", FM radio for "the small one".
No bivvy sack, no Lyft app.
A handgun is potentially much more useful than a paperback.
No need for a carabiner, my trip home is horizontal, not vertical.
No perceived need for paracord or safety pins to get home.
My immediate nutrician needs to simply get back home can be handled by excess body fat.

#298602 - 03/12/21 11:55 PM Re: Mine vs. theirs - the Get Home Bag [Re: haertig]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The carabiner is curious. A biner isn't of much use by itself. i wonder if it is a misprint for 'carbine'?

#298603 - 03/13/21 12:24 AM Re: Mine vs. theirs - the Get Home Bag [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I do have a small monocular that occasionally inhabits various kits. It's not really a survival necessity of course but it's there to satisfy curiosity (eg is that an elk?) and occasionally navigation (what does that sign say? Is that a fire tower?).

I guess I don't really have a GHB, per se. And I still need to get my new Crosstrek equipped as some of the stuff I carried in my old car have not yet transitioned over to the new. But a sidearm and a spare magazine is part of my EDC so it's part of the GHB-type gear. Ditto a knife and flashlight.

#298604 - 03/13/21 01:38 AM Re: Mine vs. theirs - the Get Home Bag [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I don't really have a "Get Home Bag" -- I have a comprehensive emergency kit bag, a "running away now" bag, and a hydration pack that I use for day hikes and outdoor range work. I guess the "running away now" bag could count as a GHB. My laptop bag is the most likely thing I'll have with me, and while most of its contents are laptop-related I do have some emergency gear in it.

• Anti-zombie machete: Way too heavy for me. I do have a nice fixed blade in my car emergency kit and my hydration pack. A water bottle is also a must.
  • Monocular: Light, not bulky, inexpensive and super handy. I splurged on a nice Vortex for the car kit; the Brunton Echo is amazing for the price. Spare sunglasses are also a must for me, I keep them everywhere.
  • Ham radio: Super handy to have, especially if you are with other hams or have a pair of them. Also serve well as an FM broadcast radio receiver. I stash inexpensive and fairly rugged Baofengs everywhere. The lithium ion battery packs that come with them have very low self-discharge if disconnected from the radio. Keeping the cheap earpiece that comes with it allows for radio listening with lower battery consumption. I have a nicer HT in my laptop bag. If nothing else, I can make a few contacts during a lunch break, especially if there's a repeater within range.
  • Bivvy sack:An inexpensive emergency bivvy sack is way better than sleeping cold or worse if you have an unexpected night out. I prefer the S.O.L. (formerly Heatsheets) 2-person emergency blanket over everything else in that size and weight class, but I'm not against their emergency bivvy. The Lyft app is strongly preferred for anywhere there's pavement.
  • While I try to avoid it, my work sometimes brings me to places that aren't so safe. I do carry a handgun everywhere that I may do so legally, and a big chunk of my "running away now" bag's weight comes from one. But I also train, a lot, with handgun. I love to read but I don't carry paperback books any more, I can read on my iPad or iPhone. I've found that as my eyes are getting older reading on a device is far easier and more enjoyable.
  • I don't carry a climbing carabiner but having an inexpensive and lightweight model on the outside of a backpack is super handy.
  • I do like paracord (but not 100'!) for larger kits but I have safety pins everywhere.
  • MREs are enormously bulky compared to other options. I do keep a couple in my car but I don't carry them around anywhere. Cliff bars bring me joy and I will often bring them with me. If I'm planning to eat lunch on the trail or on the range I'll most commonly bring along a sandwich along with the Cliff bars.

Edited by chaosmagnet (03/13/21 01:39 AM)
Edit Reason: typo

#298606 - 03/13/21 01:35 PM Re: Mine vs. theirs - the Get Home Bag [Re: TeacherRO]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
A side by side packing list comparison;

bivvy sack ( camo) Lyft app

Quick comment. I got a cellular apple watch. There's no Lyft app for it, but there is an Uber app.

I can now call an Uber even with a dead or lost cell phone if my watch still has some charge in it (and I have service or wifi).

Even if you have a non-cellular apple watch, learn how to use it with wifi calling (including adding a wifi password directly to the watch...) and learn to use apple pay on it.

There are more than a few places where you could walk in with your apple watch, buy a cup of coffee, ask for the wifi password, and call home, get an uber, etc. all from a cellular apple watch even with a dead/lost/broken phone. You just have to take the time to configure things before you need them.

#298612 - 03/13/21 10:07 PM Re: Mine vs. theirs - the Get Home Bag [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

No, I see lots of packs decorated with a single climbing carabiner - no idea why.

#298615 - 03/14/21 12:00 AM Re: Mine vs. theirs - the Get Home Bag [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
No, I see lots of packs decorated with a single climbing carabiner - no idea why.

I hang stuff off of it that needs to dry, or is too bulky to go in the pack, and so on. I’ve done this when changing out of wet shoes — either dangling from the laces for quicker drying, or tied in tight for less swinging about. Also to not forget my umbrella while it drys in more urban settings.

#298676 - 03/21/21 10:50 PM Re: Mine vs. theirs - the Get Home Bag [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Also "Tacicool" bag vs. college book pack

#298771 - 04/08/21 05:40 PM Re: Mine vs. theirs - the Get Home Bag [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

And mine nearly alway has an umbrella or rain jacket - or both.

#298862 - 04/17/21 10:43 PM Re: Mine vs. theirs - the Get Home Bag [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Mine has funky purple unicorn patches; theirs have moral patches...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.