Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#298576 - 03/07/21 05:02 PM temporary but portable shelter
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
this may be an old topic, but here goes anyway... after reading "Listening to Katrina" I decided a light utility trailer might be a good addition... had I a "do over" would have gotten a heavier duty trailer with wood flooring, but instead picked up a Tractor Supply expanded metal floor lightweight...what I wanted originally, was to have a means to increase my evacuation carrying capacity (I had a two door Explorer at the time, and was severely limited in cubic space... the trailer was a good addition to bring with me those things that might not survive if my old frame home was subject to a hot Cat 5 hurricane...not all of which could be replaced by insurance

as hurricane Irma approached, and the forecast path moved across the state to me, I made plans to move to a relative's post hurricane Andrew building code home, which was only about 20mi...when Irma finally hit landfall, and was projected to stay inland, I decided to ride it out, and it came over me at a little over 85mph with some 95+ gusts

after that event, I started thinking about where I would live during the clean up, oversee a bit of location security, and re-building of my house... the trailer had a long loading ramp to allow lawn equipment, and it made a good height to support a ridge pole... I used a 2x2 ridge pole, and ran it from the raised position to a pair of X crossed 2x2 supports at the front to raise the height, this made a good entrance to the shelter... a blue plastic tarp was bungee connected to the side rails, and a mosquito netting bar was fit over the pole...a chaise lounge lawn chair provided a sleeping platform... fortunately I have not needed to try it out, but still have the materials stored just in case... regards

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/p/map.html

#298582 - 03/08/21 06:40 PM Re: temporary but portable shelter [Re: LesSnyder]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
One thing to consider is adding some secure way to lock stuff up in case you need to leave the trailer while getting food, gas, medical attention, etc.
A steel bed-box like used in pickups would make a good starting point but the locking system would need serious upgrading.
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#298591 - 03/10/21 02:14 PM Re: temporary but portable shelter [Re: LesSnyder]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Thank you for the Katrina reference; lots of good stuff within.

#298592 - 03/10/21 09:02 PM Re: temporary but portable shelter [Re: Blast]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Blast
A steel bed-box like used in pickups would make a good starting point but the locking system would need serious upgrading.

Do you guys watch LockPickingLawyer on YouTube? It's astounding to see how many bad locks are out there...

#298611 - 03/13/21 08:01 PM Re: temporary but portable shelter [Re: Bingley]
WesleyH Offline

Loc: Unknown
Excellent point. Many commercial locks are for all intents and purposes, worthless.

#298616 - 03/14/21 04:04 AM Re: temporary but portable shelter [Re: Bingley]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: Bingley
[quote=Blast]
Do you guys watch LockPickingLawyer on YouTube? It's astounding to see how many bad locks are out there...

Yep, he's depressingly amazing. Lock technology pretty much sucks.
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#298617 - 03/14/21 07:26 PM Re: temporary but portable shelter [Re: LesSnyder]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I don't think we need to be too concerned. LockPickingLawyer is obviously highly skilled, and most people are nowhere near that level. I once hired a locksmith to open the door after I locked myself out. It was a regular household lock that you find in the door knob. It took him 20 minutes of trying, and he still couldn't open it. He asked me if he could just drill the lock out.

I guess the moral is you can't stop Danny Ocean's team. Just know what level of protection you have, what it can do and what it cannot do.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.