Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#295400 - 03/23/20 06:15 PM Re: Helping our ETS Community [Re: chaosmagnet]
dougwalkabout Online   confused
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Agreed, running it live off the DVD is a nice way to check it out.

The other cool thing about Linux is you can take the hard drive from a machine, plunk it into another, and it will run! It does a double-take the first time (whoa, this is different!) but it works. (Except: 64-bit installs only work on 64-bit systems. 32-bit installs run on everything.)

#295402 - 03/23/20 06:46 PM Re: Helping our ETS Community [Re: dougwalkabout]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout

The other cool thing about Linux is you can take the hard drive from a machine, plunk it into another, and it will run! It does a double-take the first time (whoa, this is different!) but it works. (Except: 64-bit installs only work on 64-bit systems. 32-bit installs run on everything.)

This is true. I've done it a few times.

With Windows, you can clone a hard drive, put the cloned drive back into the same computer the original came from, and it won't boot. Some cloning software does better than others at trying to iron out the Windows-induced difficulties. But in general, if you are expected a clone/swap like this to work in Windows, you are skating on thin ice. No way are you going to take a harddrive out of one Windows computer, insert it into a different computer, and get anything useful to happen.

#295420 - 03/24/20 04:45 AM Re: Helping our ETS Community [Re: chaosmagnet]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Originally Posted By: Chisel
I got a desktop and a laptop. Both on Win7

The desktop is not hooked to internet. I use it mostly with Word and Excel filesm plus seeing some movies. Laptop is connceted to internet and I use it for visiting ETS and such .

Do you think my e-stuff is doomed ???

I would be very concerned about any Internet-connected Win7 device being compromised and your data stolen, if not also having your bank account(s) drained and your identity stolen. The other machine, if you never connect it to any network and never move files between it and other machines, will be fine.

Thanks

As long as I remember, I was never more stress-free in my whole life than in 2002, after finishing our house. We lived in OUR house, got free from paying reant, AND I had absolutely no money left in the bank . LOL.

Maybe one year from now, I will start building our next house. Almost a condo size, but will free me from lots and lots of stress. AND when finished, my bank account will be sparkling clean . LOL . I wont be worrying too much about hackers and e-robbers. LOL.

#295422 - 03/24/20 04:55 AM Re: Helping our ETS Community [Re: Chisel]
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Your credit rating is worth defending, though. It affects everything from borrowing rates to insurance rates to employment prospects.

Edit: And on dating sites these days, a top-shelf credit rating is a particularly potent pheromone. A dealer-financed BMW is thin gruel in comparison. grin

Edited by dougwalkabout (03/24/20 05:06 AM)

#295439 - 03/25/20 11:56 PM Re: Helping our ETS Community [Re: chaosmagnet]
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Back to the meat and potatoes of this thread.

A few areas where my practical knowledge could be useful to others here:

- gardening / farming for food
- harvesting and heating with wood
- repairing and sharpening tools
- repairing and playing musical instruments
- repairing small appliances and electronics
- small scale solar power, chargers, inverters, rechargeable batteries
- troubleshooting water well and septic systems
- frugal living -- getting the best value for a buck
- five star scrounge -- knows where to get stuff for cheap/free
- information scrounge -- tenacious at researching in all areas

Edited by dougwalkabout (03/27/20 09:52 PM)

#295463 - 03/27/20 10:01 PM Re: Helping our ETS Community [Re: chaosmagnet]
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

I thought I would share a "win" based on information I got from this thread (thanks Chaos!). A lady who runs a small business had water splashed on her laptop by her kids. No backups (argh!). Motherboard fried.

Staples told her there was no hope of getting her files back, and sold her another laptop. I put her hard drive in another machine and ran a couple of Linux live CDs I have kicking around. Couldn't mount the drive. Then I ran a live CD of Zorin OS Lite, and I was able to retrieve three years of business records, course work, and family photos.

She was understandably relieved, and grateful. That extends to you guys.

#295466 - 03/27/20 10:58 PM Re: Helping our ETS Community [Re: chaosmagnet]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Well done dougwalkabout!

This isn’t the first time I’ve heard of big box stores giving bad computer advice, I’m afraid.

#295467 - 03/28/20 02:19 AM Re: Helping our ETS Community [Re: chaosmagnet]
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks again, Chaos. This is the way we can extend the ETS knowledge base out into our respective communities.

As for the big box store, I will only say that while I am in favour of honest free enterprise, I have zero tolerance for whatever mix of incompetence/scumbaggery was demonstrated here.

#295468 - 03/28/20 04:23 AM Re: Helping our ETS Community [Re: dougwalkabout]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
I put her hard drive in another machine and ran a couple of Linux live CDs I have kicking around. Couldn't mount the drive. Then I ran a live CD of Zorin OS Lite, and I was able to retrieve three years of business records, course work, and family photos.

Good job! I have had similar successes saving friend's computers. Usually they cannot boot Windows, but I have been able to access the disk using Linux and copy their files off.

Zorin OS is Linux. Do you have any idea why Zorin worked and other Linux distros didn't? I have had a few instances where one LiveCD worked better than another for some task, and never figured out why. Generally I use SystemRescueCD (another Linux distro) because it contains lots of tools for recovering systems. You can add these tools to any Linux distro, but SystemRescueCD comes with them pre-installed (since it's whole purpose, evident by the name of the distro, is rescuing systems!)

I think the happiest user I ever "saved" was one who deleted 1000's of photos and cleared the wastebasket (on Windows). Then realized what they had done after the fact. When they called for help I said, "Don't touch anything, don't even breath, I'll be right over". Using the PhotoRec command on SystemRescueCD I was able to recover all of the photos.

On my computers, I have a small partition setup that holds SystemRescueCD (normally you don't install it to harddisk, but I did in this case). It's so small it's doesn't take up much room. So if I get into Deep DoDo I can just boot my computer from that partition. I also keep a DVD with SystemRescueCD on it for mobile rescues or in case my harddisk gets so screwed up that I can't even boot from that special partition. My main OS is on an SSD these days, but my computers still have harddisks in them too.

#295469 - 03/28/20 04:47 AM Re: Helping our ETS Community [Re: chaosmagnet]
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

I don't know why Zorin worked. Other distros warned that the file system was in a dangerous state, no doubt from the system crash. So either Zorin was smarter or too dumb to notice, I don't know. (And yes, of course it's a Linux Ubuntu distro; my post wasn't clear.)

I'll check out SystemRescueCD. This sort of thing seems to land on my desk on occasion. One more tool in my toolbox.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.