Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#295367 - 03/22/20 02:09 PM Re: Helping our ETS Community [Re: chaosmagnet]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Excellent link, Chaos. I have to check out Zorin.

I'm currently running Linux Mint Mate on more capable systems, and Lubuntu on ancient 32-bit systems.

In fact, I'm typing this on a ThinkPad T60 running Lubuntu 18.04, and it's plenty snappy for general web surfing. (The T60 is 14 years old. The official list price in 2006 was $2,799 USD!)

#295368 - 03/22/20 03:11 PM Re: Helping our ETS Community [Re: chaosmagnet]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Nice!

#295369 - 03/22/20 04:50 PM Re: Helping our ETS Community [Re: chaosmagnet]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
This is a great idea!

I'm not sure what I could do to help... but with that - I've retired so have the time and interest. I got the BS and MS both in education and spent early life in a high school classroom and then the majority in 'training' a bit in the private sector and most in a government criminal justice environment.

I let most every certification lapse at retirement in July but still have the AHA Instructor Trainer card & NRA Instructor creds too. So... Lesson Plans? lots & templates to build your own too. I did a bunch of on-line elearning development and may have some thing for that too - and it forced me to also learn a lot about computer basics and making my desktop run.

Started to work with Ham radio but know just enough about that with my Tech license to know I'm fairly clueless but working on it! One resource I've used: https://www.khanacademy.org/ where some of you home-bound folks may find some ideas too.

So - if I can help with anything to assist our community, please let me know.

#295370 - 03/22/20 05:22 PM Re: Helping our ETS Community [Re: chaosmagnet]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Thank you pforeman!

#295374 - 03/22/20 08:37 PM Re: Helping our ETS Community [Re: chaosmagnet]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Have they added any processors since Win10 originally came out? I've got an old laptop that ran well on Win7 but the processor wasn't supported when Win10 first released.

#295375 - 03/22/20 09:55 PM Re: Helping our ETS Community [Re: UTAlumnus]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
Have they added any processors since Win10 originally came out? I've got an old laptop that ran well on Win7 but the processor wasn't supported when Win10 first released.

What processor does it have? Windows 10 requires a 1 Gh Pentium III or equivalent.

Jeanette Isabelle

#295376 - 03/22/20 10:00 PM Re: Helping our ETS Community [Re: chaosmagnet]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I got my Tech license, was in the General class, but then that got canceled due to the virus. frown So I'll get General sooner or later, realistically not for a few months at least. Even if I studied at home, I believe all the testing has to be done in person - and all the VE exams around here have been canceled too.

Doesn't really matter though. I don't have an HF rig and won't for quite a while. Tech privileges are all I need right now. All's I have is a 2m/70cm handheld. FWIW, after a bit of testing side by side, I conclude that a Yaesu FT-60R absolutely stomps a Baofeng UV-5R in performance and usability. Both improve greatly with a better antenna installed. The club I joined gave us newbies that took their class and joined the club a free Baofeng. The Yaesu is one that a friend let me borrow. I will be buying my own FT-60R shortly. I really like the features and performance of that handheld, even though it is quite an old design and doesn't have all the latest digital technology (something i don't care about).

[edit]

Adding the text from pforeman's post that I was responding to above. I forgot to quote it originally, and I'm sure many were wondering how in the heck my post about HAM radio ended up in this thread!

Originally Posted By: pforeman
Started to work with Ham radio but know just enough about that with my Tech license to know I'm fairly clueless but working on it! One resource I've used: https://www.khanacademy.org/ where some of you home-bound folks may find some ideas too.

[/edit]

Edited by haertig (03/23/20 04:59 AM)

#295377 - 03/22/20 10:11 PM Re: Helping our ETS Community [Re: chaosmagnet]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I have the Yaesu FT-60R in my Amazon cart! To be totally fair though it should be better than the Baofeng for eight times the price. I bought my Baofeng 5Rs for $20 each.

#295378 - 03/22/20 10:17 PM Re: Helping our ETS Community [Re: chaosmagnet]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Make sure Amazon is an approved distributor for Yaesu. I have read that with some brands, with some merchants, there can be warranty issues for non-approved distributors. I don't know for the specific case of Yaesu and Amazon though.

Another place to consider buying from is HRO, they are definitely an authorized distributor.

https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-007323

p.s. The "Signal Stick" antenna from the outfit below is well regarded in my area. I am very happy with its performance on both the Baofeng and the Yaesu. Note: For a Baofeng your need an SMA-female connector, for the Yaesu you need an SMA-male. You can also just pick one or the other connector and buy an adapter so the antenna can be used on either the Yaesu or the Baofeng. The website also sells these adapters, but IIRC, you have to search around a bit to find them.

https://signalstuff.com/antennas/

p.p.s. - The antenna website also sells a little rubber washer you can use with the antenna. You don't need that washer for an FT-60R.

p.p.s.s. - (is "p.p.s.s." even a real thing?) The FT-60R at Amazon shows as $189 with $7.60 shipping when I look it up. It is $149 with free shipping if bought directly from HRO. It appears that the Amazon seller is HRO, and I don't know why it costs so much more to buy it through Amazon than direct from them.

Edited by haertig (03/22/20 10:30 PM)

#295379 - 03/23/20 12:12 AM Re: Helping our ETS Community [Re: chaosmagnet]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Good to know, thanks!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.