Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#297353 - 10/23/20 10:04 PM Re: Hiker missing for two weeks in Zion found alive! [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Sometimes the victim, SAR participants and friends or relatives of the victim will have different versions of the incident. it seems that this is more frequent with highly publicized ops...

She was found alive and in decent shape considering the fairly long time of the ops. That is the bottom line and that is all that matters.

"All else is sound and fury, signifying nothing."

#297355 - 10/24/20 01:00 AM Re: Hiker missing for two weeks in Zion found alive! [Re: Phaedrus]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Agreed: a win is a win.

It does make me wonder, though. When I walk the hills, I am in my introspective space. Unlike the entirely different mental radar walking though an urban space. If I had crossed paths with this lady, would I have registered that something was "off?"

#297357 - 10/24/20 02:52 AM Re: Hiker missing for two weeks in Zion found alive! [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Her GoFundMe mentions that she's suffered from some kind of mental illness in the past and that she may not have been in a good frame of mind when she entered the park.

#297363 - 10/25/20 04:36 PM Re: Hiker missing for two weeks in Zion found alive! [Re: Phaedrus]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Not in a good frame of mind, some reports of a pre departure period of fasting, an odd assortment of high end gear including a hammock..well, there is an old ER maxim: you can't explain crazy.
BTW, there was a recent FL incident of a fasting lad. y driving her car into a water feature and drowning. Fasting is a powerful and venerated spiritual path, and quite a dangerous one. Use with care.

Think i will go make a sandwich...

#298107 - 01/16/21 11:19 PM Re: Hiker missing for two weeks in Zion found alive! [Re: hikermor]
rafowell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: hikermor
This event illustrates that thee cell phone is rapidly becoming the eleventh essential. Even out of cell phone coverage, a properly apped cell phone is very useful. Compass, GPS, maps are all possible.

I say this as a traditionalist who always carries a conventional compass and paper map, etc.

What other apps should grace a properly outfitted cell phone? Geezers want to know....

[ Preface: since all these use power that you might need to make an emergency call, power management is big. Make sure you are charged up at the last minute, monitor charge, and bring a "power bank" backup battery that has a power level display (that you check). For long outings, a solar recharger can be handy.

[iPhone] (only?)
• Set up Emergency SOS under Settings > Emergency SOS
• Through the above, or in Settings > Health > Medical ID, set up your emergency contacts, medical information, and set it up to be transmitted on the emergency call and available under emergency access from the lock screen
• Set up "location tracking" for your emergency contacts, so they can use "Find your friend" to try to locate your phone (in case you are out of it, or you lost your phone - hopefully that will be a clue to where you are if you don't show up).

• Navigation / Situational awareness apps:

[iPhone and Android]
• Location apps:
• Online maps: (what the heck - you might have signal). Google Earth, Apple Maps, Google Maps, AllTrails, GAIA GPS, etc.)
• App to display your GPS coordinates, and easily transmit by SMS text and email (if you have signal) your coordinates, Apple Maps link and Google Maps link by SMS or email: I use the free app "Find my GPS Coordinates" (available for iPhone and Android)
• Compass app: (iPhone includes one as default)
• Off-grid digital map: We should have one - the one I've been using seems to have gone quirky, so I don't know what to recommend at this point.
• Visual Orientation app: I like Peakfinder - before your trip, you can download digital elevation models of your region for offgrid use. In the field, you can then display a synthetic view you can match with your visual. I use it to get more accurate bearings than I can get with a magnetic compass, and it is a valuable check that I'm reading the compass correctly, too. You can get a feel for it on the free website - the iPhone/Android apps for off-grid use are about $5 and linked from the website. See here: https://www.peakfinder.org/?lat=34.1091&lng=-119.0645&azi=157&zoom=5&ele=429&cfg=r&date=2021-01-16T22:38Z
• Astronomy app: Mine's actually on a PalmPilot, but by day solar compass is more accurate than magnetic, and by night, stellar orientation even more so.
• Weather app: ( I use the free iPhone "Weather Radar" app a lot - even for neighborhood walks).
• Photos/video of my route: (particularly the photo of the turnoff we overshot by a mile once despite GPS ...) - no app required, but I use Google Maps satellite imagery and Google Maps streetview imagery as well as online photos from hikers as prep. I normally print that as hardcopy and carry in my backpack (not battery dependent), but it can go in the phone, too.

• Skills apps

• First aid books/apps; On my iPhone, I have "First Aid" - by the American Red Cross, I think.
• Survival books: (better late than never, and even if you think you remember, you may want to double-check your memory). Also, once they are on your phone, you can read them in odd moments before the emergency - like while waiting in line for your COVID vaccination ...
• Knots: "Animated Knots" app - https://www.animatedknots.com/shop
• .pdf manuals for any fancy gear I'm taking (camera, ham radio, GoPro, and yes, your smartphone) [I bring hardcopy, too.]

I'm sure I've overlooking whole categories of things, but this is what I have after a quick look in the "hiking" folder of my iPhone (21 apps currently), and skimming some of my other 100+ apps to see what might be useful ...

Edited by rafowell (01/16/21 11:23 PM)
Edit Reason: finish thought

#298111 - 01/17/21 03:36 AM Re: Hiker missing for two weeks in Zion found alive! [Re: rafowell]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Thanks for the useful references. I will be checking them out tomorrow, but quite possibly not on Monday, since we were just notified by SCE that another public safety power shutdown may be in order, due to forecast high winds. It is really nice to get advance warning - much better than an unannounced power outage.

Mrs.Hikermor and I were critiquing the last outage, and wondering how we could improve. Cooking is easy - I have camp stoves galore, but refrigeration is the crux. We did OK during the last shutdown by only opening the fridge occasionally. If worse case scenarios arrive, we will consume my plentiful stash of ice cream before it all melts...

I have acquired more power bank capacity since our last outage, and I am glad I did. I see significant solar panels in our future....

Many thanks to all for your helpful suggestions on this and other matters.

#298112 - 01/17/21 04:35 AM Re: Hiker missing for two weeks in Zion found alive! [Re: Phaedrus]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
It's curious: I turn off almost all of the stuff that people advocate as helpful (privacy issues x1000). And in a pickle, I would turn off all data services -- they suck battery life x100. So I guess I'm a contrarian to the core (can you tell I did most of my wilderness work before cell/satellite/spot was an option?).

Sometimes, simple wins the day:

VANCOUVER -- A B.C. police department says a dying cellphone light helped them locate a lost hiker on a Vancouver-area mountain over the weekend.

Abbotsford police said in a news release Sunday that a hiker called 911 from Sumas Mountain Saturday evening. The Air 1 helicopter was brought in and night vision goggles were used, helping the team spot the hiker's cellphone light from 10 kilometres away.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/lost-hiker-s-dying...ntain-1.5261979

#298113 - 01/17/21 05:06 AM Re: Hiker missing for two weeks in Zion found alive! [Re: hikermor]
rafowell Offline
Enthusiast

> refrigeration is the crux

Amen. We were lucky to have our power out for "only" two 12-hour periods (on successive days) in our last outage (heat wave overloading local capacity).

The one cheap mitigation I thought of was that if the power outage risk was elevated, to put couple of extra gallon jugs in the freezer to freeze beforehand - turning the refrigerator into an icechest. Also, pre-emptively eating the food most at risk.

> Many thanks to all for your helpful suggestions on this and other matters.

You're welcome! As Doug pointed out - conserving enough power for emergency communications is key. GPS usage burns through battery power pretty quickly. I put my phone in "airplane mode" and "off" when it isn't needed, or do a complete shutdown.

#298114 - 01/17/21 05:29 AM Re: Hiker missing for two weeks in Zion found alive! [Re: dougwalkabout]
rafowell Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
It's curious: I turn off almost all of the stuff that people advocate as helpful (privacy issues x1000).

I do keep "Location services" off unless I really need it, and the "while using" setting on apps where I need it - for both privacy and power concerns.
And in a pickle, I would turn off all data services -- they suck battery life x100.

Yes, and location services even more so. When I don't need service, I keep the phone in "Airplane Mode", and "off" (not really off, but faster to bring back than full shutdown).

Sometimes, simple wins the day:
[i]VANCOUVER -- A B.C. police department says a dying cellphone light helped them locate a lost hiker on a Vancouver-area mountain over the weekend.

Good point, and that has paid off many times - it didn't take me long to find quite a few - seems like this is a topic that could justify it's own thread:
Florida, Dec 2019, iPhone flashlight rescue
New York, Sep 2017 Cell phone flashlight rescue
Montana, May 2015 Cell Phone Flashlight Rescue
New Jersey, Aug 2014, Cellphone flashlight rescue
Nov 2008 cell phone flashlight rescue

In this case, the NVG was able to pick up the cell phone screen itself, they say:
Cell phone screen seen by NVG

Edited by rafowell (01/17/21 05:31 AM)
Edit Reason: suggest thread

#298115 - 01/17/21 12:44 PM Re: Hiker missing for two weeks in Zion found alive! [Re: Phaedrus]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
My offline maps app (MotionX GPS) is still working on my device but does not appear to be available in the App Store any more. I’ll work on finding one that’s current.

Recently, I purchased a larger power bank for the purpose of powering my portable ham radio rig (an Icom 705), along with a Raspberry Pi 400 and USB-C powered screen, for operating digital modes in the field. The weather turned (among other things) so I haven’t operated portable digital yet, but the power bank itself works a treat (https://portableuniversalpower.com/revolt-g2/). The website has some quirks and it took a while for my order to ship, but the device is if anything better than described on their web page. No affiliation with them.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 287 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.