Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#292043 - 03/24/19 03:26 PM Re: Best use of time, money [Re: hikermor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
What do you think of the Estwing hatchet o roughly the same size and price? I have been using one for decades and I like them a lot. One piece steel head and handle is certainly indestructable. roughly about $27 in the smaller size.

#292044 - 03/24/19 04:15 PM Re: Best use of time, money [Re: hikermor]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: hikermor
What do you think of the Estwing hatchet o roughly the same size and price? I have been using one for decades and I like them a lot. One piece steel head and handle is certainly indestructable. roughly about $27 in the smaller size.

I have had a couple of Estwings and have nothing bad to say about them. I am intrigued with the Estwing Campers axe, but I already have a half dozen axes and twice as many hatchets, so I'm afraid my wife might take notice...

Estwing hatchets do require a little more care as the clear-coating cracks with time and use and water can get in. Not usually a problem unless you leave it in the bottom of a boat or in a stump over winter...I did acquire an Estwing in a multiple item swap once that had a decomposed handle that I suspect was found in the woods.

The 14" Fiskars is about 5 ounces lighter than the 14" Estwing, and the Fiskars weight is well forward, balancing about an inch from the head. For those so inclined, you can fit 3 Bic lighters and tinder, or a small knife etc. inside the handle of a Fiskars for backpacking or a bug out bag, and for this use a lanyard hole is a plus.

All said, I don't think you could go wrong with either hatchet.

#296980 - 09/14/20 08:53 PM Re: Best use of time, money [Re: hikermor]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm starting to think a daily walk is a better use of my time than a new knife...

#296983 - 09/14/20 10:55 PM Re: Best use of time, money [Re: drahthaar]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: drahthaar
I think the best use of time is physical fitness.
<snip>
In a survival situation you need to be fit and healthy and possibly able to construct shelters, swim, travel long distances with minimal provisions, etc. No substitute for being in shape.

Absolute agree!
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#298041 - 01/12/21 12:20 AM Re: Best use of time, money [Re: hikermor]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

In addition to collecting gear its good to USE your gear and get it organized.
(I need to pre pack some kits)

#298054 - 01/12/21 04:05 PM Re: Best use of time, money [Re: hikermor]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Lots of thoughtful advice in this thread so far! Another useful thing is real-time information sources, especially police scanners. I use a software defined radio (SDR) system to listen in on EMS, air traffic, and other useful frequencies. Warning, it starts cheap and then as you go in deeper you end up wanting to upgrade your equipment. wink

Overview: cheap USB dongle receivers are available that convert a wide spread of radio signals into something your computer can convert into audio and also in some cases satellite photos. A basic setup can run as little as $30
YouTube Video on SDR: https://youtu.be/xQVm-YTKR9s

-Blast, who thinks knowledge is power
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#298055 - 01/12/21 04:20 PM Re: Best use of time, money [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I really like SDR. There’s a lot of cool stuff you can do with it, including receiving satellite weather and other data directly.

Keep in mind that powering a PC with an SDR may be significantly more difficult than powering a battery-powered radio that can receive emergency services. The ubiquitous Baofeng UV-5R family can receive a lot of emergency services traffic depending on where you live. You can use CHIRP to program those memories to lock out transmit, which you should always do for frequencies you are not authorized to transmit on. If you’re not a ham radio operator, that means all frequencies.

#298057 - 01/12/21 11:17 PM Re: Best use of time, money [Re: chaosmagnet]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

The ubiquitous Baofeng UV-5R family can receive a lot of emergency services traffic depending on where you live.

Yep, love my Baofengs and Houston and my county EMS dispatches still broadcasts unencrypted on frequencies these radios pick up. I like the extended frequency range of SDR since I'm located near the Houston International Airport, assorted lifeflight hospitals, and a national guard airfield. On a good day there's even some offshore signals. I have a discone antenna set up for scanning a broad spectrum and there's always something interesting going on.

Good point about powering the SDR system. I forget people don't have as many solar electrons stored up as I do. My backup computer for the SDR system is a 13-yr old netbook (not even a full notebook computer) that handles things fine with low power requirements. My main, suped-up MacBook is an energy hog, though.
-Blast

#298064 - 01/13/21 11:02 PM Re: Best use of time, money [Re: Blast]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Law enforcement agencies are going encrypted which makes them unavailable for situational awareness.

In my area of N. Colorado the only thing left is State Patrol and dispatch channels for Fire and EMS. (and air and railroad)

City and County law have all gone encrypted.

Makes my scanners far less useful than they used to be.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.