Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#292 - 03/02/01 03:36 PM Combination survival tools
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
For amateurs such as myself, what do you folks think of the combination survival items that can be found at:<br>http://www.cabelas.com/texis/scripts/store/+/CatalogDisplay/displayPOD/CabFALL1998/CabFALL1998ASAgAA/XA917S ?<br><br>You'll have to copy and paste the URL in sections into your browser window, or go to www.cabelas.com and search for "Survival Compasses." Whatever you do, don't visit www.cabela.com. Trust me on this.<br><br>Craig<br><br><br><br>

#293 - 03/02/01 06:19 PM I have all of them
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
Believe it or not, I have all of the shown devices.<br>1. Plastic whistle/match safe/ compass. Received as a child. Bulky, Junk.<br>2. Silva brass matchsafe. Beautifully made, but the cap is press fit, not screw down. It sticks very easily. I lubed it up as directed (vaseline). It seized so bad I had to remove the cap with vice grips. Heavy!!!<br>3. Whistle/ compass. Bought the same unit from wal-mart. Pretty smart but the compass is inferior and the whistle is inferior to: 1. Storm (duh!) 2. Fox 40 (duh!) 3. ACR flat whistle (really?!?)<br>Moral of the story: 1. Get a fox 40 whistle 2. If you want a micro-compass, go with the miniature Suunto watch band compass from www.actiongear.com that has a pointer and racheting bezel. 3. Get a mag/ flint firestarter such as one made by Doan (avail. at Walmart) or Done Right. 4. For matches, get a vial of lifeboat matches (www.actiongear.com), dump out half of them and replace with Diamond brand strike anywhere kitchen matches. All of the above are the proven, reliable alternatives. The combination of the above weighs less than the Silva matchsafe and has less bulk than the whistle/matchsafe/compass job. IMHO.<br><br>

#294 - 03/02/01 09:12 PM Re: I have all of them
Craig Offline

Thanks for replying, AndyO. Rats, and they look so cool, too. I guess I was just looking for new toys. <br><br>I already have a Mini Fox 40 whistle and a Suunto Comet (combination button compass and thermometer). They're part of my kit. <br><br>I also bought an plastic orange match vial at a local army-navy store and loaded it with Ohio Blue Tip strike anywhere matches. I have found, however, that you can't really strike them ANYWHERE and get results. Well, I can't, anyway. Most of the time the white phosphorus tip falls off! I also found the striker built into the bottom of the plastic vial is useless.<br><br>That's when I sighed with frustration and thought about getting a Zippo lighter, or maybe one of those butane-powered micro-torches available from hobby shops.<br><br>Craig<br><br>

#295 - 03/02/01 10:49 PM an idea?
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
IMHO, the perfect match case would be a mini-mag lite sawed off about 3.5" from the back end and plugged. It would be handy, reasonably light, waterproof and easy to get into. AHA! Plug the new hole with a compass?!?<br><br>

#296 - 03/03/01 04:22 AM Re: an idea?
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Silva USA makes an aluminum matchcase with a small liquid compass(basic markings,illuminated that plugs the top with double O-rings and string lanyard).I got mine some time ago from Campmors.<br><br>

#297 - 03/06/01 11:06 AM Re: I have all of them
jet Offline
Enthusiast

Hi Craig,<br>Actually, that striker built into the bottom of the orange plastic match vial is a flint for striking sparks with a steel striker. It's not meant for igniting matches, which is why is fails so miserably.<br><br>

#298 - 03/06/01 01:53 PM Re: I have all of them
Craig Offline

Yeesh. That's an inept way to build a match holder.<br><br>

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 458 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.