Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#297960 - 01/07/21 05:48 PM What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry)
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

What do you bring when you leave the house?
Have you added anything new recently?

#297968 - 01/07/21 06:05 PM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Love the lightweight and cheap versions of the Buck 110. A really good knife made even better.

Edited by hikermor (01/07/21 06:57 PM)

#297972 - 01/07/21 07:27 PM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
Still carrying a Victorinox Farmer.

AA/14500 flashlight for the past year has been a Lumintop Tool AA v2.0. Has been used daily even if just for going to bed.
The 14500 (micro usb rechargeable) battery that it came with still seems fine too.

#297979 - 01/08/21 01:47 AM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I have two different EDC load-outs, one that I carry when I go to work and another when I'm off. The primary difference is that I can't have a firearm on property, technically not even in my car (although it's hard to imagine how anyone would ever know). So when I am at work my EDC is my keys, an Olight i3E EOS flashlight, a Spyderco Dragonfly in HAP40 and my wallet. When I'm off I carry a proper flashlight (usually a Malkoff MDC), an HK P2000 in 9mm, a spare magazine at 9:00 o'clock in a Safariland 123 Horizontal Mag Pouch and a Spyderco Delica in HAP40.

#297983 - 01/08/21 02:06 AM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA

• Sig Sauer P320 XCompact (only where legal!) in a Rhino Concealment IWB holster
  • 21rd spare magazine in a Tulster Echo magazine carrier
  • Ritter Mk1-G2 in M390 steel
  • 4Sevens titanium whistle (on keyring)
  • LM Style PS (on keyring)
  • Prometheus Beta QR v2 (on keyring)
  • Car key and house keys
  • Primary flashlight: Most commonly either Klarus E1 or Surefire Stiletto Pro
  • POM Pepper Spray (also only where legal)
  • iPhone
  • Wallet
  • A pen, often a Ti Pocket Pro

We had the tornado sirens going off and I had just installed a very young Eldest Offspring in our designated tornado shelter room. I needed to get the other Offspring and the dogs downstairs when the power went out. Having another flashlight on-body would have been really handy at that moment, and that was the last day that I didn’t carry two. YMMV.

#298227 - 01/30/21 11:36 PM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: chaosmagnet]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

[*]Primary flashlight: Most commonly either Klarus E1 or Surefire Stiletto Pro

How do you like the Klarus E1, I have been looking at the E1 and E2.

#298228 - 01/30/21 11:59 PM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

My EDC became more robust last year for a number of reasons. When I am off duty (and where the laws provide) I carry the following.
  • Rsk MK1-G2 (full-sized or mini)
  • Oligt SR1 v2 or Aurora A23 flashlight
  • Wallet
  • iPhone and AirPod Pro
  • Glock 48 with Streamlight TLR6 light/laser combo + spare magazine.
  • TacMedSol SOF-T tourniquet
  • H&H Compact Trauma Dressing
  • QuickClot Rolled Hemostatic Gauze
  • Hyfin Compact Chest Seal
  • 1 Pair EMS gloves
  • DIY Customized SAK, basically a Compact without the multipurpose hook with orange 3D printed scales.
  • Kara Kustoms Retrakt Pen with pressurized refill
  • Rite in the Rain mini notebook
  • Wetones hand wipe pack
  • Spare surgical mask

The RSK and flashlight are carried in my pockets while the rest is most often carried in a 5.11 Lv6 Sling bag.

#298231 - 01/31/21 02:55 AM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: Alan_Romania]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Alan_Romania
How do you like the Klarus E1, I have been looking at the E1 and E2.

I’ve chosen not to buy an E2 — its “moonlight” mode is 8 lumens, which is higher than I like in a moonlight mode.

Pros:
  • One-touch access to moonlight mode
  • Instant access to last mode used, which I like to keep on Turbo
  • Good runtime and output performance
  • Good beam profile
  • The cell is USB-rechargeable
  • I’m very fond of the Klarus button+paddle interface
  • Incredibly small form factor for its performance

Cons:
  • The cell is not a standard 18650 — it’s the same size but proprietary to Klarus, real 18650s won’t work in this light, and the proprietary cell won’t work in anything but a Klarus E-series light
  • A bit more prone to pocket activation than I would expect
  • Lousy holster/pouch options

I carry it, on average, more than any other fliashlight in my collection.

#298232 - 01/31/21 03:06 AM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My heavy duty EDC is in the back of my Subaru!

#298233 - 01/31/21 03:11 AM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: chaosmagnet]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Thanks!!!

#298241 - 01/31/21 06:44 PM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

My urban EDC is in transition, more about that later, but this is what I carry if I step out of the house to go pretty much anywhere.

• RSK® MK1-G2 (pocket)
  • Mini-RSK® MK1-G2 (watch pocket - both because, folks ask, need to be able to show them both off wink )
  • Wallet with Sue and My ICE cards
  • Android Phone with Emergency contact and ICE files
  • 1 oz bottle Hand Sanitizer

On a Bison Designs Circle Key Caddie:

• Olight I1R 2 Eos flashlight
  • Surefire Franken-Titan flashlight http://www.equipped.org/blog/?p=664
  • Cut-down Mini-Fox 40
  • Verbatim Micro Plus USB Drive - 16GB
  • Spudz Micro Ultimate Lens Cloth
  • Mini-Sharpie

In a concealed carry fanny pack/shoulder bag (usually carried on shoulder) that weighs in at 6.8 lbs. (compared to wife's 11 lbs. purse!):

• Glock 17 with TRU-GLO night sights and Streamlight TLR6 light/laser combo
  • Spare magazine.
  • Surefire E2 flashlight
  • TacMedSol SOF-T tourniquet
  • QuickClot Hemostatic Combat Gauze (Z-Fold)
  • Hyfin Compact Chest Seal
  • 1 Pair Nitrile gloves
  • Leatherman Charge TI + additional bits for Charge bit holder
  • 2 x Wet-Ones Towelettes
  • Scrubs Hand Cleaner Towelette
  • Phokus Frog Tape pack
  • 36" Gaffer Tape wrapped around key card
  • Assortment of Coverlet adhesive bandages in zipperlock bag
  • Small zipperlock baggie of Benadryl
  • Spare face mask

For quicker CCW access, I am transitioning to a new CC firearm that I will carry in "normal" CCW manner on my right hip. Waiting on the new holster and putting a few hundred more rounds downrange (annoyingly expensive these days). While I have been a full-size Glock guy forever, the Hellcat was the first Micro that "fit" me and I could naturally point and shoot well and that had a reasonably high capacity (13+1).

Then probably move to a smaller/lighter EDC "man bag" for the gear.

• Springfield Hellcat OSP
  • SIG ROMEO Zero RDS
  • Viridian C5L Green laser/light combo
  • APEX Action Enhancement Trigger
  • DPM Systems Recoil Spring System
  • Hogue HandALL Beavertail Grip Sleeve
  • Theis Holsters IWB Hybrid Holster w/ ECR
  • Theis Holsters IWB Hybrid Magazine Carrier (left side)

Edited by Doug_Ritter (01/31/21 07:14 PM)
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#298242 - 01/31/21 07:10 PM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
Phokus Frog Tape pack

Forgot that I have a pack of this in my EDC as well!

Edited by Alan_Romania (01/31/21 07:10 PM)

#298276 - 02/04/21 01:58 AM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Fenix E12
pill fob with aspirin, ibuprofen, phenolephrine
bandana
Acme Tornado
P38
G43x and spare mag
Kershaw Leek
Kyocera flip phone
wallet with small blood stop gauze and 4x4pad,
cash and credit cards

in the car
tourniquet, quick clot, NPA, Israeli bandages (2),Kerlix gauze, EMT shears, petroleum gauze, Olaes dressing
fire extinguisher
jumper cables
1/2 case of bottled water
G17 in a Recover Tactical brace/front mag holder,Streamlight ProTac in Viking Tactics mount, Vortex Viper machined slide on G17 with Dawson Precision co witness sights couple extra long mags

#298303 - 02/10/21 11:56 PM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
I bought a new EDC flashlight and I am impressed.

I have been carrying a Fenix E01 flashlight for many years. I went through 3 or 4 of them since the switch wears out. Now I found they are not made anymore, so I set out to find a new flashlight.

I finally settled on this Lumintop AAA flashlight. It has three light modes, 110, 35, and 5 lumens. It is also IP68 waterproof. And it comes with a reversible clip, so you can clip to a pocket or a hat visor. It also comes with spare o-rings, a diffuser, and a keychain clip. It is just a tiny bit larger than the old Fenix E01.

I use Eneloop AAA batteries which work fine.

I love this light!

I paid $15.99 for it on Amazon. Check it out here: LUMINTOP TOOL AAA Mini EDC Flashlight

Note that the Amazon site title says it is 130lm, but elsewhere on the page it says 110lm, and manual says that also.

#298926 - 05/05/21 10:58 PM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Four pens.

#298930 - 05/06/21 04:20 AM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I got a belly band holster that allow me to CCW a sidearm I can access with my left hand (until I am able to use my right again).

#298964 - 05/14/21 04:30 AM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Acropolis50 Offline
Journeyman

Doug: May I suggest that you add to your “ Benadryl Baggie”, 2-4 pseudophedrin tabs, 4-8 caffeine tabs (2 pseudo tabs and 2-4 caffeine tabs, give u a heck of a legal energy boost), 4 -8 ibuprofen tabs & 2-4 ES Acetaminophen tabs ( 2 of each of the last to give you a legal and powerful pain reliever/ anti-inflammatory, now used in military aid kits)). Importantly , 8 x 81mg. , chewable children’s aspirin tabs, in case of suspected heart attack. And , 1-3 days supply of any prescription meds you may take daily or need daily or ICE , e.g. an inhaler. As I’ve aged, I added a commercial dental repair kit,+ a caffeinated tea bag to stop in mouth bleeding and repacked it in a very small zip-LLC bag. Alleviates a broken tooth, lost filing , cap that falls out, Oh, the pleasure of aging. [ If you fear nuclear accidents or “dirty bombs” ,add potassium iodate tabs in foil.]

I’d also suggest adding either or both a compressed , sterile, triangular bandage or/ and an XL yellow or Orange , hot pressed, folded cotton bandana in a small Gerber sterile Breast Milk Bag. They give you multiple use options: a bandage, wound dressing, sling, signal flag, cap, sweat band/ flashlight holder, cap, xtra gear carrier, etc., etc. I also use a form fitting Mophie extra battery on my I-Phone , but Android models are available. It adds a125% of power to my phone.

I understand that flashlights are a highly personal choice, but my years of trial and error led me to carry a Fenix EO-5 , with AAA lithium battery, & a clip for pocket or hat band, a Photon yellow bulb Freedom, mounted backwards in its carrier to avoid accidental ”on”, both on my pocket key chain. I also carry a tiny Petzel e-lite headband light in whatever case I am carrying. Pre-Covid I’m frequently in high rise buildings, underground plazas , trains and train tunnels.

Extra points for adding a Mylar or Heat Sheet Blanket, a yellow bic or mini-bic lighter , tapped so it cannot be accidentally activated, in a Gearward bike tire waterproof cover. The cover can be cut into 3-4 circulat tinder rounds which will burn for about 2 minutes each. I have lately added a plastic covered 50’ spool of 200lb. test, ultra thin Kevlar cord and a large sewing needle.

Add emergency cash, , 10 x $1.00, 5 x $5.00, 5 x $10.00, 10 x $20.00. More if you can afford it. “ Money doesn’t talk. It swears” ( Bob Dylan). It buys unavailable things,e.g. train tickets, a ride out of the city, goods and gasoline or a hotel room, in a blackout or blizzard , when credit cards are useless. Mollifies herion muggers, etc.

I know the above sounds like a lot of gear, but it is only a few extra ounces and packs very compactly.

EXPANSION TO BASIC GHB: If you added an alluminium , single wall water bottle to hold water,or cook in, a couple of flat ,plastic water carriers, foil packed Water Pure tabs, a Survivor water purifier straw, a 4-way Silcock Key, some Millenium Bars, an extra Mylar blanket, extra wool socks, & leather gloves, you’d have a basic GHB, counting in the other equipment you mentioned. For tools add an 8” Knipex wire cutter and a 2lb. X 15”, Spax-16 Rescue Axe / pry bar/hydrant wrench/ gas- water cock wrench Now standard military aircraft issue,including Marine One. I’d also add a Gerber LMF II, as a knife and electrical cable cutter. But now we are @ ~ 10-12 lb.s and in small backpack territory.

Edited by Acropolis50 (05/14/21 07:35 AM)

#298980 - 05/18/21 01:28 PM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

I continue to struggle with how, exactly, I can carry medical gear on my person. If I'm carrying any bag or if I'm in my car I have medical gear close at hand.

A couple of the guys I train with keep medical gear in an ankle rig. I haven't invested in one; I suspect that I would find it too uncomfortable. I did build a pretty small kit suitable for a cargo pocket but I'm not carrying it much.

EDITED TO ADD: I always have medical gear on-body on the range.

Edited by chaosmagnet (05/18/21 01:29 PM)

#298981 - 05/18/21 05:31 PM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have found, being from time supervising groups, that having a few Band-Aids in my wallet has been quite handy. A real fairly extensive FAK is never far away.

Being able to handle boo-boo grade emergencies, the most frequent type, always keeps down the pucker factor.

#298985 - 05/19/21 07:35 PM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: hikermor]
Famdoc Offline

Loc: PA
Agree with Hikermor: I keep 1-2 each of about 6 different sizes/shapes of Bandaids in my wallet: they are employed several times a year at a minimum and saves a trip to the vehicle where the big paramedic box resides.

#299106 - 06/14/21 04:25 PM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

So, thought I would update things as I have made some significant changes

Springfield Hellcat OSP

Changed the red dot from the SIG ROMEO Zero to a Holson HS507K-X2 with a CH Precision Components adapter plate (The plate works great, however the screws they supplied were damaged when they shortened them to fit and didn't QC them very well. QC is apparently an issue with this company, based on online comments) Bigger window and better dot options, plus more solid aluminum construction and easy to change out battery. Anyone need a ROMEO Zero cheap?

Viridian C5L Green laser/light combo (This is working great. I love it! At short to moderate ranges most typically involving self-defense I can literally put the green dot on the target without even bringing the pistol to eye level and hit exactly where the dot is. That could be a lifesaver. And, just to reiterate, the other best reason to install a laser is that green dot on an assailant's chest might hopefully persuade them to stop, saving me the significant hassle that results from pulling the trigger.)

In that regard, I also should note that through Knife Rights I am signed up for U.S. Law Shield. https://kniferights.org/legislative-update/protect-yourself/ KR gets a nominal payment when you sign up. Not having some legal protection plan/insurance if you ever consider you might defend yourself, at home or away, is insane and irresponsible to your loved ones, IMHO.

You might also gain some useful info from this article: The Aftermath of Self-Defense – What to Do & What NOT to Do https://kniferights.org/legislative-update/aftermath/

Trigger has been changed out a few times. <sigh> I am still using the spring set from the APEX Action Enhancement Trigger, but the actual trigger is an adjustable Hive Monarch Trigger. Finally, found the right one, I think.

DPM Systems Recoil Spring System (have settled on the medium spring)
Hogue HandALL Beavertail Grip Sleeve
Theis Holsters IWB Hybrid Holster w/ ECR While the Theis holster works fine, there's still the issue of the weight of the gun dragging down the pants, even with a tight belt. I am using a Groove belt and liking it.

I have alternatively lately been using an inexpensive UnderTech UnderCover Original Belly Band which I find less bothersome in most regards. I have modified it by removing some stitching to allow it to fit the pistol with the light/laser. I am still working on this and may eventually try some other Belly bands or get one custom built to suit my purposes. Not that I am OCD mind you...

I have now officially spent more on stuff than the original pistol cost! blush

Having moved the pistol to IWB, I was looking for an alternative less conspicuous way to carry a trauma kit than also carrying my man bag. I still have the bag depending on circumstances, but wanted another option.

Based on a recommendation from my fried Tom, I am wearing a Ryker Nylon Gear AFAK (Ankle First Aid Kit) that he generously provided. I was worried that it would be annoying around my ankle, but wearing it at BLADE Show where I was on my feet for 4 days straight, I literally forget it was there. I suppose that it helps that I wear old man jeans with pretty wide pants leg opening. Carried in the AFAK:

Small Trauma Shears
TacMedSol SOF-T tourniquet
QuickClot Hemostatic Combat Gauze (Z-Fold)
H&H Mini-Compression Bandage
Hyfin Compact Chest Seal
1 Pair Nitrile gloves
Wet-Ones Towelette
Phokus Frog Tape pack
4 x 1" Coverlet Adhesive Bandages in zipperlock bag
2 x 2x4" Curad X-Large Flex Fabric Adhesive Bandages in zipperlock bag
Vacuum-sealed Chewable Benadryl 12.5mg x 4
Vacuum-sealed Low Dose Aspirin 81mg Coated x 2
Sharpie Mini

Edited by Doug_Ritter (07/11/21 02:42 PM)
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#299107 - 06/14/21 08:25 PM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Nice! I'd like to get at least one sidearm set up with an optic.

#299111 - 06/15/21 01:07 AM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

I’m personally choosing to stay with iron sights on handguns for now. I only want to train one way. But I do think that the red dot on handguns is here to stay, and one day I’m sure I’ll make the switch.

#299112 - 06/15/21 01:59 AM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I don't have a lot of trigger time behind handgun optics but my experiences to date have me convinced that RDS are the future, on all firearms. It's so much easier to get hits, especially at speed, that it's almost cheating. It would truly to suck to ever have to use my sidearm in a defensive situation and find myself & an iron-sighted sidearm facing an attacker that had a RDS on his or her sidearm! eek

#299113 - 06/15/21 03:06 AM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: Phaedrus]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

The difficulty with the RDS is changing your muscle memory from iron sights. It takes hundreds, if not thousands, of draws to get to the point that the dot is ALWAYS immediately visible. A new shooter has the advantage of not having to unlearn years of muscle memory and I've seen them take to it readily.

An RDS is easy with a rifle. A pistol is a lot harder. If you have to search for the dot, you lose a significant part of the advantage in quickness. At short ranges, typical of most self-defense use, my first option is always the laser because I can see it on target even before I get the sight into position, and if necessary I can shoot before it is even in my RDS. But, I practice mostly with the laser off, because it's just so easy to use it would become a crutch.

Belt and suspenders. I can be more accurate, particularly at higher ranges, quicker and more consitant with the RDS than with iron sights on my Glock. But, I still need to get the muscle memory down to the not thinking about it point. Still working on that. Not ever going back to iron sights.
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#299114 - 06/15/21 05:20 AM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It does take some reps but not necessarily a lot of live fire. Have you ever looked at Modern Samurai Project? Scott "Jedi" Jedlinski has some drills that can shave months off of the time it takes to get your draw stroke in line with the optic. It's definitely easier with a rifle; as soon as you get a cheek weld you're pretty much lined up in the dot. It does take more work to learn to use the RDS on a pistol but IMO it's worth the effort. It's especially good for those of us with older eyes. I have pretty strong corrective lenses so it's a real challenge to focus on the front sight. The huge advantage of the RDS is having the "sight" ie the dot in the same focal plane as the target. smile

#299115 - 06/15/21 11:27 AM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
I have seriously considered moving to RDS on my HK USP Compact. Aging and it is really annoying to have to ask an attacker to "wait a moment, I need my readers". Good muscle memory and high contrast iron sights work to get it in the center of mass, but a more precise system would be better.

#299117 - 06/15/21 12:45 PM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

I'm scheduled for cataract surgery at the end of the month, but have previously switched to RDS sights on my full sized pistols, mostly because of difficulty with discerning the front from rear tritium lit (all green) sights of my G17... unless I heeled the pistol to make sure which sight I was looking at, it was very confusing... my first RDS on a pistol was via an aftermarket Swensen slide and Vortex Venom on a G17... my final iteration is a Trijicon RMR2 on a G17.3... I had BattleWerx mill the slide and they did an exceptional job.. I used a DPP Titanium anti flicker plate... it had it's first year with a continuous lit dot's birthday last October...

I have several Holosun models (507/510) on my competition firearms, and concur with Doug's choice... if I had a do over, a 507 would be on the Venom sighted pistol... I have the large window 510 on my Steel Challenge rim fires...

my EDC carry is still a G43x with single tritium Dawson front and plain black... not nearly as confusing as a 3 dot system for me

regards Les

#299118 - 06/15/21 01:08 PM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: LesSnyder]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I'm trying to decide on a Holosun or a Vortex Optics RDS on my hunting pistol. Any recommendations on which brand to get?
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#299120 - 06/15/21 01:43 PM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: Phaedrus]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
It does take some reps but not necessarily a lot of live fire. Have you ever looked at Modern Samurai Project? Scott "Jedi" Jedlinski has some drills that can shave months off of the time it takes to get your draw stroke in line with the optic. It's definitely easier with a rifle; as soon as you get a cheek

For sure these reps don't have to be at the range. I'll check out your suggestion. There are lots of "drills" to accomplish this. The most important thing is to do it.
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#299121 - 06/15/21 01:45 PM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: Blast]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Blast
I'm trying to decide on a Holosun or a Vortex Optics RDS on my hunting pistol. Any recommendations on which brand to get?
-Blast

I ended up with the Holosun in large part because of so many friends and folks I met at the range and other events being very pleased with their products in general and the 507K in particular.
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#299122 - 06/15/21 04:36 PM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

My friends who have Holosun optics on their pistols like them for the range, but nobody I know carries one on a defensive pistol. The consensus seems to be that Holosun doesn’t have enough history yet for that kind of critical use.

I run Vortex on two rifles, both of which are designated for defensive use, and have for some years. The models that need to be essentially disassembled for a battery change have to be re-zeroed afterwards, which is not ideal. Everyone I know who runs Vortex only does so on rifles, but I haven’t heard anyone say that they haven’t been around long enough or are otherwise not recommended for defensive purposes.

Were I planning to change over, I’d seek out a reputable instructor who teaches a red dot pistol course. Scott Jedlinski (whom I have not trained with and am not affiliated with) would be my go-to suggestion for that among the reputable instructors who travel nationally. One of my friends locally teaches this quite well.

Other reputable instructors I know with national traveling schedules don’t seem to have any red dot specific classes.

#299123 - 06/15/21 07:18 PM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Holosun has a very good reputation, and I know of a lot of trainers that recommend them as the best closed emitter handgun optic. My two main defensive-type carbines are both set up with Aimpoints, a Comp M5 on one and a PRO on the other (both with Scalarworks mounts).

#299124 - 06/15/21 08:19 PM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Blast... couple of comments on the Holosun 507 and 510... both have a solar cell that helps(or fully) powers the emitter in addition to a 2032 cell.. in bright ambient light the solar cell will intensify the dot

... it is possible to set up either with a "shake awake" function that automatically goes off and immediately on...

there are 3 options to the reticle... a circle, dot, and circle + dot

the circle on the 507 is considerably smaller than the 510... on my 507c v2 the dot is 2moa and circle is 32moa
on the 510c the dot is 2moa and the circle is 65moa

the 510 is large, but the large view window makes tracking targets for Steel Challenge much easier for old eyes

#299125 - 06/15/21 08:25 PM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: chaosmagnet]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

My friends who have Holosun optics on their pistols like them for the range, but nobody I know carries one on a defensive pistol. The consensus seems to be that Holosun doesn’t have enough history yet for that kind of critical use.

FWIW, I know a number of LEOs that run Holosons on their duty weapons and have for a number of years.
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#299126 - 06/15/21 08:28 PM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: LesSnyder]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
Blast... couple of comments on the Holosun 507 and 510... both have a solar cell that helps(or fully) powers the emitter in addition to a 2032 cell.. in bright ambient light the solar cell will intensify the dot

... it is possible to set up either with a "shake awake" function that automatically goes off and immediately on...

there are 3 options to the reticle... a circle, dot, and circle + dot

the circle on the 507 is considerably smaller than the 510... on my 507c v2 the dot is 2moa and circle is 32moa
on the 510c the dot is 2moa and the circle is 65moa

the 510 is large, but the large view window makes tracking targets for Steel Challenge much easier for old eyes

If you pistol is large enough, go with larger. Absolutely a better choice if that's an option. If carrying a Micro, won't work. And, the 507K does not have the solar powered option and is therefore smaller than the 507s with that capability, which is why it works so well on the Micros.
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#299127 - 06/15/21 08:41 PM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Primary Arms is running a big sale on the Holosun HE509T. No affiliation with either company.

#299128 - 06/15/21 08:43 PM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: Doug_Ritter]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
FWIW, I know a number of LEOs that run Holosons on their duty weapons and have for a number of years.

Good to know!

#299133 - 06/16/21 03:22 AM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: chaosmagnet]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Primary Arms is running a big sale on the Holosun HE509T. No affiliation with either company.

Damn, that is a good price!
https://www.primaryarms.com/search?keywords=Holosun%20HE509T
-Blast
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#299134 - 06/16/21 03:32 AM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: Blast]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks for the advice on the RDS, everybody. I'm hoping to add it to a Turkish Girsan 45acp 1911 for use as a backup gun will hog hunting.
https://www.classicfirearms.com/eaa-girsan-mc1911s-45acp-semi-automatic/

I'm not sure if such an addition is doable or practical, though.
-Blast, never satisfied with stock

#299136 - 06/16/21 12:40 PM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

You would probably have to have the slide custom-milled and refinished. Alternatively, there are picatinny rail mounted gizmos like this (https://www.amazon.com/Mako-Universal-Picatinny-Mount-Pistols/dp/B004O6CDV0) that can provide you a place to install a red dot sight. However, it may be very difficult to find a holster that would fit a pistol with one of those. I’d also wonder how well it would hold zero.

#299137 - 06/16/21 02:19 PM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

before I ventured into a new slide and later actual slide milling for a red dot mounted on a pistol, I used one of these DPP Titanium Corp dovetail adapter plates for one of my Glock pistols... the adapter is 7075-T6 and very tough... an inexpensive trial to help you make your decision...

https://www.amazon.com/DPP-Titanium-Mounting-Fastfire-anodizing/dp/B07SPT21CC/ref=sr_1_4_sspa?crid=27ZNMTKAILGYZ&dchild=1&keywords=dpp+titanium+mounting+kit+glock&qid=1623852875&sprefix=dpp+titanium%2Caps%2C192&sr=8-4-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyQTlZQVRMVVZCQzZRJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjk0NTg2VEc2T1VFR1pMNFdUJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA1MTA3MjdBR1RPUzdWRVFERTUmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

#299142 - 06/16/21 08:42 PM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: LesSnyder]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
before I ventured into a new slide and later actual slide milling for a red dot mounted on a pistol, I used one of these DPP Titanium Corp dovetail adapter plates for one of my Glock pistols... the adapter is 7075-T6 and very tough... an inexpensive trial to help you make your decision...

https://www.amazon.com/DPP-Titanium-Mounting-Fastfire-anodizing/dp/B07SPT21CC

Interesting! I was hoping some sort of dovetail plate would be available.
-Blast, who likes things that go bang

#299157 - 06/18/21 01:06 AM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: Blast]
Tony_D Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: Blast
-Blast
I think they talk about RDS in this podcast (amongst other things).
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=95V40_7ZIdk&list=PLqVeYh6rUDSsOFty1YULxhVVb4V9ect1s&index=5

#299244 - 07/04/21 10:04 PM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
amper Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: US
I just logged in for the first time in years, I think, but this past week, I finally got around to purchasing a new EDC flashlight, a Fenix E12 v2.0, to replace the Inova X1 I bought several years ago that is terrible.

The Inova X1 replaced my venerable Leatherman Serac S3, because I got tired of spending a fortune on CR123A batteries, and the only semi-reasonable ones available near me were the Rayovacs at Walmart. Walmart stopped carrying them.

I also got a Fenix HM23 headlamp, but that’s not for EDC.

My EDC has not really changed that much, otherwise, at least in terms of actual survival tools. I still carry in my handbag:

a flashlight, the Fenix E12 v2.0, with a spare battery
a small knife, a Victorinox Rambler
a larger knife, a Gerber Harsey AirFrame fine edge
a pen, a Fisher Bullet Space Pen, gold titanium nitride
a lighter, a Bic mini Bic
a sharpener, a DiaSharp fine credit card
a pair of tweezers, Tweezerman Slant
a couple of jelly type hair elastics
a small towel, a PackTowl Personal face size
a small spray bottle of isopropanol
a small spray can of Lysol
a pocket pack of Kleenex tissues
a small ziplock bag with 16 ea. 200 mg ibuprofen, 500 mg acetaminophen, and 25 mg diphenhydramine
a roll of antacid tablets, Rolaids
and for the past 16 months, a spare face mask, from Columbia (the clothing company)

I reality, I carry a lot more stuff on a daily basis, but the rest isn’t “survival” gear, primarily. For instance, I always carry a Buck Diamondback fixed blade for food, primarily for cutting crusty baguettes and slicing apples for lunch. That knife only gets used for food. And usually, I carry a 40 oz Klean Kanteen filled with water, or a 1L Nalgene.

I also carry a full set of Snow Peak titanium flatware (SCT-001 fork, spoon, knife, plus SCT-004 spork), and a pair of Keith solid titanium travel chopsticks (the older 171 mm model, they are now 190 mm). And my iPhone, now a 2020 SE model, replacing my 2015 6S model, and its related charging accessories, along with an Anker 5Ah backup battery.

I’m not currently wearing my Breitling Seawolf Avenger, because I’ve put on a little bit of weight the last few years, and I need to have a link added back into the bracelet. When I bought it in 2002, I had to have several links taken out to fit my skinny wrists, but now it’s a bit uncomfortable even with the clasp on the widest setting, even in Winter, when my wrists are their skinniest. I have to travel a very long way to find a Breitling dealer, now, so it may be some time before I get around to it. So, in the meantime, when I need/want to wear a watch, it’s a Timex Expedition Scout with a black one-piece band.

Edited by amper (07/04/21 10:10 PM)

#299245 - 07/04/21 10:16 PM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: amper]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Welcome back, Amper! grin

#299271 - 07/06/21 06:54 AM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

Keys (Resqme Escape Tool and Tweezers)
Wallet (Mini ink pen in the crease of the wallet)
Phone
Knife (Benchmade Mini Grip 555BK)
Pepper Spray (Sabre red baton)
Lighter (Bic Mini)
Flashlight (Klarus XT1A (normal) or Streamlight Microstream + 10440 (minimal)
Sidearm (P365 + Spare Magazine (Normal) or P3AT (Minimal))

Wazoo Cache Belt
-Signal mirror
-1L whirlpak bag + 4 micropur tablets
-Brass sparker + tinder quik in tiny ziplock bag
-Short microUSB cable
-Lightning and USB-C adapter tips in baby ziplock bag
-MicroSD card + USB adapter in tiny ziplock bag
-Countycomm SERE Compass in tiny ziplock bag
-1 pair nitrile gloves in tiny ziplock bag
-emergency cash

May add some fishing hooks + leaders taped under the signal mirror. I wish Wazoo would come out with the same design but with 1.75" width instead of 1.5", would be a lot easier to have some first aid stuff in there like BZK wipes.

Normally I wear Tru Spec 24/7 khakis which include cargo pockets, so I will typically carry a vacuum sealed IFAK in the right cargo pocket. If I'm wearing jeans, I'll just have some nitrile gloves, but looking into an ankle setup.

Left cargo pocket is usually free to stuff misc items in depending on what I'm doing, for instance if I'm on a call out on the water I'll usually carry a palmer furnace hypothermia shelter in there for spring / fall / winter, cliff bar, etc. If I were just hiking in the woods, would probably also slip my PSK in there. If for some reason I wasn't wearing the cargo pants outdoors I'd grab the waist pack for this.

Holosun is G2G IMO.

Edited by Burncycle (07/06/21 07:05 AM)

#299272 - 07/06/21 07:59 AM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: Phaedrus]
amper Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: US
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
Welcome back, Amper! grin

Thank you!

#299556 - 07/31/21 08:04 PM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
Plainsman Offline
Stranger

Loc: Grand Forks, ND, USA
My EDC:
Kimber Micro9 with two spare mags
Benchmade Contego
Victorinox OHT
Ear plugs
Tourniquet
Cell Phone
Wallet
Bic lighter wrapped with duct tape

I need to find a good, small flashlight as I rely on my cell phone light too much and it wont work if needed in a tactical situation.

#299564 - 08/01/21 02:30 PM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Generally speaking I carry two flashlights plus my phone’s capability. My primary flashlights alternate between the Surefire Stiletto Pro and Klarus E1. They each have their pros and cons — one less obvious challenge for the E1 is that while the included cell is 18650 in size, the E1 only takes Klarus’ proprietary cell, and as far as I can tell the cell doesn’t work with anything other than the E1 and E2.

On my keyring is a Prometheus Lights Beta QRv2. For a single-AAA twisty it’s freaking amazing. Great CRI, L/M/H mode order with well spaced modes and a true low mode. The EN finish version I carry is lightweight and looks brand new after years of carry. If the included NiMH rechargeable runs out it will take AAA primary cells. In my opinion it is the Platonic Ideal of a AAA keyring light.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.