Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#297766 - 12/14/20 05:16 AM Just ordered some new body armor!
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Okay, I suppose this is a divisive issue for some but I'm going to give it a shot. Let me say at the outset that as "preps" go armor is a low priority, so please don't tell me I should stock more food/exercise more/change my diet/wear seatbelts/wear healing crystals, etc. wink I watch my diet, I wear my seat belts, I keep food, water & TP stocked, etc.

I have long felt body armor was a useful thing to have. Up until a few years ago I lived in a town of 1/4 million and all my shooting was done on a public indoor range. If you looked around you could see literally thousands of bullet holes and marks in the ceiling, the side walls, the floor, etc. It seemed prudent to wear armor at times when the range was busy.

Also, although not common there is violent crime. A coworker of mine experienced a home invasion in which he was roughed up pretty good but not seriously injured. The first step at home is hardening the perimeter (good locks, strong doors, security on windows, good lighting, etc), and about ten years ago there was a situation where my reinforced doors and locks probably saved me from shooting someone.

So let's say that you've already done those things and addressed the issues you can. I grew up in a rural area to parents that were "gun folks" so I learned to shoot shortly after I learned to walk. grin And I have always kept firearms for home defense. But a gun is the last line of defense, not the first line, and you only go to guns as a last resort to preserve human life.

If you believe in firearms for personal protection, then you have to acknowledge that a gunfight involves more than just your gun. And while you're trying to make holes in the intruders, they will be trying to make holes in you. Enter the body armor!

I already had two sets, one US Palm rig with steel plates and a low-pro Blackhawk concealable carrier with soft armor. The steel plates are an odd duck, being steel but rated only for pistol rounds (IIIa). Back when I bought them I didn't own a rifle at all and ARs were much less common than now. My feeling was that if I had to face a home invasion the perps would probably have handguns and maybe shotguns which IIIa will stop. But as time went buy the AR rose in prominence and I figured the odds of facing a rifle were increasing.

So LA Police Gear had a Black Friday type sale and after a long time of ogling I finally pulled the trigger on a pair of Level IV ceramic/PE plates. They're rated to stop nearly any rifle round you can find including 5.56 "Green Tip", 7.62 NATO, 7.62x39 and .300 Win Mag! Despite this they're only 6 lbs each, much lighter than steel and not vulnerable to spalling. It should fit one of my carriers that I already have but I'll probably get one from Shellback Tactical down the road.

I am not going to be clearing buildings; my plan in a home invasion is to hunker down and wait for the cops. But I'll be sitting there in armor with my shotgun or rifle at hand!

Probably not a necessity but it's another tool in the toolbox. Better to have and not need than to need and not have. Plus, I got a nice Xmas bonus from work. smile I'll probably use 1/2 of it as mad money and save the rest. Ultimately this is kind of a splurge and I'll likely live my whole life without ever needing it, but these ceramic/PE plates are getting cheap enough that I decided the potential benefits outweigh the low cost.

#297768 - 12/14/20 03:54 PM Re: Just ordered some new body armor! [Re: Phaedrus]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
If you serve as security at your church - that venue would make enormous sense for armor.

On a public shooting range? I hear ya! The trick there is to get the numbskull to shoot you center of mass.

The critical piece of info you need but don't have is WHEN will the home invasion occur? Unless you wear the armor all the time probability says that you won't have it when the goblins come.

#297769 - 12/14/20 04:14 PM Re: Just ordered some new body armor! [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've practiced donning the carrier and it's pretty quick. I have hardened the perimeter as much as possible; no one can get through my door quickly or quietly. That's the point of home security IMO; you're not going to keep out a determined person, you can just slow them down and make it a difficult process, encouraging them to go elsewhere. So if I'm home and someone is working on gaining access it should give me a bit of time to prepare.

It's not perfect but I don't want to let perfect be the enemy of the good. When out and about there are limited measures that can be done to enhance personal security (eg don't go to stupid places to do stupid things with stupid people, avoid distractions in public places, work on situational awareness, etc). But at home you have the luxury of taking more steps to stack the deck in your favor.

In all likelihood I will never need it but the option is there. And armor is pretty cool. cool grin

#297770 - 12/14/20 04:39 PM Re: Just ordered some new body armor! [Re: Phaedrus]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
It's good to hear you've already hardened your house, giving you time to react. Weird times, especially in the big cities. I've often considered purchasing a "ballistic briefcase" to use as an emergency bulletproof shield when I'm out and about.
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#297771 - 12/14/20 05:41 PM Re: Just ordered some new body armor! [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I have considered another plate for the laptop compartment of a day pack. Nowadays I don't have a briefcase but use a Mystery Ranch Gallagator for the stuff I EDC for work. Since I can't CCW on the premises at least having a lightweight plate would give me a few options.

I'm in a small town (about 50,000) and crime isn't much of an issue here but even one home invasion is a lot if it's your home. eek

#297772 - 12/14/20 07:40 PM Re: Just ordered some new body armor! [Re: Phaedrus]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
Not going to that indoor range sounds like it would improve your chances of survival quite a lot!
In the happy days we had ranges in the uk there were no public ranges. You had to turn up a few times and they'd size you up before you could join. Then a few carefully supervised sessions,before you could shoot alone.
Weapons only ever contained ammo at the firing point and your first negligent discharge was the last shot at that club. We envy your free access to firearms but not access to ranges with bullet holes in the furniture!
Qjs

#297773 - 12/14/20 07:47 PM Re: Just ordered some new body armor! [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Now I live in a really huge state with almost no people so I do my shooting outside.

#297784 - 12/16/20 12:41 AM Re: Just ordered some new body armor! [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The tracking link says I should have it by the end of the day Friday! grin

#297786 - 12/16/20 02:24 AM Re: Just ordered some new body armor! [Re: Phaedrus]
brandtb Offline
Addict

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
. . . .

I have hardened the perimeter as much as possible; no one can get through my door quickly or quietly. That's the point of home security IMO; you're not going to keep out a determined person, you can just slow them down and make it a difficult process, encouraging them to go elsewhere. So if I'm home and someone is working on gaining access it should give me a bit of time to prepare.

. . . .

Have an alarm system? I hardwired a motion sensor system and used it for about 20 years before it started malfunctioning. Now I have a SimpliSafe (in which I have no financial interest) and it was quite easy to install. It has Off, Home, and Away modes which you can customize to your specs, such as alarm volume and delay time upon reentering the house. In addition, I went for the active monitoring. If an alarm is tripped they call me and the police. It has burglar (perimeter and/or motion), fire, CO, water level (for flooded basements), and cameras.

Edited by brandtb (12/16/20 02:25 AM)

#297788 - 12/16/20 02:38 AM Re: Just ordered some new body armor! [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

No but I'm thinking it might be a good idea. I hear a lot of good things about SimpliSafe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.