Topic Options
#297679 - 11/30/20 02:07 PM GPS maps??
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
https://wbznewsradio.iheart.com/content/...cellphone-maps/
This incident was featured on TV news this morning.

Personally, as a died in the wool, trad, retro geezer I have a fondness for paper maps. They are permanent, compared to screen displays.

The very best situation - you will have both updated, currant paper maps and an accurate GPS unit to tell you where you are....

#297680 - 11/30/20 03:40 PM Re: GPS maps?? [Re: hikermor]
DaveL Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Colorado Springs,CO
I agree paper map and compass ,gps also

#297681 - 11/30/20 06:09 PM Re: GPS maps?? [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: hikermor
This incident was featured on TV news this morning.

Personally, as a died in the wool, trad, retro geezer I have a fondness for paper maps. They are permanent, compared to screen displays.

Unfortunately, the linked article tries to make a simple, blanket, sound byte statement ("Warning Hikers Not To Use Cellphone Maps") about a rather wide ranging topic. Even worse, the linked article cites an example, but give absolutely no supporting info. What cell phone app were they using? What maps were in the app? Did they even know how to use the cell phone app? Or was it really a case of operator error?

I routinely use the Gaia app on my iPhone. I find it works extremely well. I can choose to use either the Gaia base maps, USGS Topo maps, or satellite imagery. I typically use the Gaia base map because it has the best current coverage of trails, much better and more up to date than the trails shown USGS Topo maps. With a Premium subscription I can also use National Geographic Trails Illustrated maps for the base. Maps can be downloaded to my phone for use in areas without cell coverage.

Interestingly enough, the end of the article says "A good old-fashioned compass and paper map or a handheld GPS device are recommended for hikers by Fish and Game officials.", (emphasis mine). The thing is, the best smartphone navigation apps are every bit as good, and often better than what one can do with a handheld GPS.

To state that hikers should never rely on smartphone maps is a gross oversimplification, in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: hikermor
The very best situation - you will have both updated, currant paper maps and an accurate GPS unit to tell you where you are....

I agree wholeheartedly with this. I generally always carry a printed map as well as a smartphone with GPS app and/or a dedicated GPS. Paper maps don't require power. It is much easier to get an overview of an area on a printed map than a small screen. General route planning is often easier on a printed map. And redundancy is always a good thing.

I routinely carry and use both paper map and compass, and a smartphone GPS or handheld GPS. But to repeat what I said above, to claim that hikers should never use smartphone maps is flat wrong.

Edited by AKSAR (11/30/20 06:22 PM)
Edit Reason: Added line about redundancy

#297689 - 12/01/20 12:14 AM Re: GPS maps?? [Re: hikermor]
DaveL Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Colorado Springs,CO
AKSAR
I think they meant only depend on the cell phone , a bad idea MTC

Edited by DaveL (12/01/20 12:14 AM)

#297690 - 12/01/20 12:52 AM Re: GPS maps?? [Re: hikermor]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
Think it's always a good to practice with paper maps & compass. GPS to verify.

Edited by Ren (12/01/20 12:52 AM)

#297691 - 12/01/20 02:20 AM Re: GPS maps?? [Re: DaveL]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: DaveL
AKSAR
I think they meant only depend on the cell phone , a bad idea MTC

Except that the last line of the article clearly says "A good old-fashioned compass and paper map or a handheld GPS device are recommended for hikers...."
Which clearly seems to suggest they think a handheld GPS is a reasonable substitute for a map and compass.

As I noted above, there is little or nothing that one can do with a handheld GPS that one can't also do as well or often better with a good smartphone navigation app such as Gaia. The only real advantage of a handheld GPS is that they are generally built more robustly than smartphones, and have replaceable batteries. However, one can get a good case to protect the smartphone, and carry a charger for it.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.