Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#297517 - 11/10/20 04:41 PM Re: Prepping for Unforeseen Events in a Grid Down [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Absolutely! Peoples still bleed profusely, and mass casualties still happen.

#297518 - 11/10/20 04:48 PM Re: Prepping for Unforeseen Events in a Grid Down [Re: hikermor]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Which items do I need more of?

Would it help if I organize the list on my opening post?

Jeanette Isabelle

#297522 - 11/10/20 05:12 PM Re: Prepping for Unforeseen Events in a Grid Down [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
You have a pretty extensive inventory that should do quite well in nearly all foreseeable circumstances supplies will run out, so I would either add some dedicated splints, something like a SAM splint or two, or know how you would improvise a satisfactory splint from materials at hand. Some kind of cervical brace would be useful in a good many trauma situations, as well.

If times and circumstances are bad enough, your dedicated items will run out, so plan ahead for improvisation.

#297524 - 11/10/20 07:19 PM Re: Prepping for Unforeseen Events in a Grid Down [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Human and fish antibiotics are the same but with a different label.

Not even remotely close to true. However, take them if you choose. We can only warn you, not stop you.

#297525 - 11/10/20 07:29 PM Re: Prepping for Unforeseen Events in a Grid Down [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

I prefer to avoid running out of supplies. However, it may be a fool's errand to attempt to avoid running out of bandaids, medical tape, 2" CoFlex, gloves, and non-adherent pads.

Jeanette Isabelle

#297528 - 11/10/20 10:15 PM Re: Prepping for Unforeseen Events in a Grid Down [Re: haertig]
Carpal Tunnel

I stand corrected, partially. Mom has done a lot of research, specifically on Thomas Labs. She has not done research on any of the other companies.

Which brands are you concerned about?

Jeanette Isabelle

#297529 - 11/11/20 12:49 AM Re: Prepping for Unforeseen Events in a Grid Down [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Famdoc Offline

Loc: PA
Re: Fish antibiotics

The Smithsonian article is interesting.

The article does not say that fish antibiotics are made in different facilities, or under different conditions, or to different standards than those antibiotics made for humans.

Nor have I seen evidence published anywhere else that that is indeed the case. I'd like to see objective evidence that that is indeed the case.

As inexpensive as the specified antibiotics in question are to make, package, and sell, it would beggar my belief that the fish antibiotics are in any way different than what humans consume. It would make little economic sense for the manufacturers to do so.

The Smithsonian article minimizes the importance of the USP lab, which in my mind, raises questions about the knowledge and/or objectivity of the writer. The USP is the world standard for drug potency and purity, and it's lab is used by many other countries besides the USA to assure thier citizens are getting what they think they are getting. The drug manufacturers can choose to pay yearly fees to have a sample of their product certified by USP, but all manufacturers, Rx and OTC must meet USP standards.

The bigger problems, which are appropriately and accurately dealt with in the article, is the inappropriate use of antibiotics for viral infections, use of the wrong antibiotic for the presumed diagnosis, and the steadily worsening problem of bacterial resistance to the antibiotics currently available.

More info about the work of the USP is available on the USP website.

No affiliation to the USP or antibiotic makers or sellers

#297530 - 11/11/20 01:02 AM Re: Prepping for Unforeseen Events in a Grid Down [Re: Famdoc]
Carpal Tunnel

The subject of self-medicating is what I think we should talk about. That is where I have my concerns. A copy of the Physician's Desk Reference can't replace a physician.

Jeanette Isabelle

#297531 - 11/11/20 01:52 AM Re: Prepping for Unforeseen Events in a Grid Down [Re: Famdoc]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Famdoc

As inexpensive as the specified antibiotics in question are to make, package, and sell, it would beggar my belief that the fish antibiotics are in any way different than what humans consume.

For one, fish don't "consume" their antibiotics. They swim around in a bath containing them, absorbing them through their gills and skin (I suppose - I am not a fish biologist).

When humans take their antibiotics (orally), they toss them down into a very strong acid bath (their stomach).

Drugs are formulated differently depending on the route of administration. Nothing could be more different than how fish and humans obtain and process their dose.

#297534 - 11/11/20 10:49 PM Re: Prepping for Unforeseen Events in a Grid Down [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
What is a grid down situation?

Whatever it is, what is short term and long term?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.