Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#297569 - 11/14/20 12:43 PM Re: Prepping for Unforeseen Events in a Grid Down [Re: Chisel]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Chisel
Oh, and don't forget vitamin/mineral supplements

In grid-down situations, we may not be able to get all the nutrients we need. Either because we do not get our regular foods from store , or maybe not able to cook them as we normally do.

I have a nutritional shake every morning, and I take a separate Vitamin B12 pill.

Jeanette Isabelle

#297570 - 11/14/20 12:52 PM Re: Prepping for Unforeseen Events in a Grid Down [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

For some reason, foot care keeps popping up in my mind. That makes sense. After all, who knows what I'll need to be doing during a grid down situation.

Jeanette Isabelle

#297575 - 11/14/20 10:44 PM Re: Prepping for Unforeseen Events in a Grid Down [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Famdoc Offline

Loc: PA
Wound repair glue: I keep some of this in my car kits: https://www.petsupplies4less.com/Vetbond...ASABEgJFbvD_BwE

As far as I know its safe to use on us humans, comparable to the Dermabond used for wound repair instead of sutures or staples.

Asking your doc for a prescription for something for nausea: ondansetron works well, not too expensive. Or Meclizine/dramamine is available without a prescription but causes drowsiness, which is sometimes a blessing.

Bars of soap: they last forever in storage, better than hand sanitizer against most pathogens out to get us, still the best choice for cleaning out a dirty wound.

Splinting material, like a SAM splint, in various sizes.

#297576 - 11/14/20 11:09 PM Re: Prepping for Unforeseen Events in a Grid Down [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Sorry, but in my view planning for a complete lack of access to electricity, municipal water, food supplies, and medical care for up to a year is well beyond my own scope, and maybe that of this forum. To me that is more along the line of homesteading - and even homesteaders usually have access to supplies (food/equipment) and some level of medical care. We have no plan to store a year's worth of food - or toilet paper.

Here, we have a well and septic system. The house well also provides water to the horse barn. The house electricity extends to both of our barns. We've installed a natural gas whole house generator that can support our needs so long as natural gas is available. Natural gas is used to heat our home in winter. We do not have any supplemental heating (wood or electricity).

Last year we lost power for 7 days in July due to a very big storm, and we ran the generator much of the time, but shut it down when leaving the house. I was told the generator was built for it. I watched the engine oil level to be safe. Still, I can't imagine running the whole house generator for a month or certainly a year. I don't know what its expected life is (maybe 10th percentile hours of operation).

Blackouts are somewhat common here. Much of it is due to weather & trees damaging power lines. The power company is in the process of putting some lines underground. That should help.

I have no plans to move toward supplemental solar power.

Our internet, telephone, and TV are satellite based. I hope to switch from HughesNet to Star Link when Elon Musk has that up and running reliability. Cell phones only work marginally around here, flipping between 1 bar of 4G and the extended network (no-G).

#297577 - 11/14/20 11:58 PM Re: Prepping for Unforeseen Events in a Grid Down [Re: KenK]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: KenK
Sorry, but in my view planning for a complete lack of access to electricity, municipal water, food supplies, and medical care for up to a year is well beyond my own scope, and maybe that of this forum.

How about four months instead of a year?

Jeanette Isabelle

#297578 - 11/15/20 02:45 AM Re: Prepping for Unforeseen Events in a Grid Down [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
This is not a survivalist forum and we’ve gone far enough down that road.

chaosmagnet

#297582 - 11/15/20 11:52 AM Re: Prepping for Unforeseen Events in a Grid Down [Re: chaosmagnet]
Carpal Tunnel

In that case, if anyone has any additional ideas, send me a private message. I'm placing my order Monday.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 253 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.