Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#297535 - 11/12/20 03:04 AM Re: Prepping for Unforeseen Events in a Grid Down [Re: KenK]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: KenK
What is a grid down situation?

You can't go to the store. You may not be able to get gas. You may or may not have electricity, communication, and municipal water. Getting to a hospital, doctor, or dentist may take a while.

Originally Posted By: KenK
Whatever it is, what is short term and long term?

Anywhere from two months to nearly a year, more likely somewhere in between.

Jeanette Isabelle

#297541 - 11/12/20 04:26 PM Re: Prepping for Unforeseen Events in a Grid Down [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
One hugely important thing to do right now, make friends with your neighbors.
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#297544 - 11/12/20 07:21 PM Re: Prepping for Unforeseen Events in a Grid Down [Re: haertig]
Famdoc Offline

Loc: PA
Objective evidence that the fish antibiotics and those for humans differ in any way would be appreciated.

Whether the antibiotics are absorbed differently through the skin of the fish or the "skin" of the stomach is not the question at hand.

#297545 - 11/12/20 07:55 PM Re: Prepping for Unforeseen Events in a Grid Down [Re: KenK]
Famdoc Offline

Loc: PA
"Grid down" refers to the electrical grid not working; more widespread than a simpler local power outage. A shorter-duration example was the East Coast power outage of 2003: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_blackout_of_2003

There is a widely debated concern that a repeat of the Carrington Event: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrington_Event#:~:text=The%20Carrington%20Event%20was%20a,largest%20geomagnetic%20storm%20on%20record.

would be much more crippling due to the greater dependency on electrical power for almost all of modern life, the challenges of replacing the many burned out transformers one sees at electrical substations (built on demand, apparently mainly in Scandanavia, wait time is a year, thousands to replace), and other factors.

A nuclear weapon, detonated at high altitude, could accomplish the same, or worse: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_electromagnetic_pulse

A fairly recent book by William Forstchen: "One Second After" describes the aftermath of such an attack, as does his follow-up book "One Year After".

#297557 - 11/14/20 02:16 AM Re: Prepping for Unforeseen Events in a Grid Down [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

Hikermor recommended something for constipation and diarrhea. I'll order Milk of Magnesia and Pepto-Bismol.

I want to avoid running out of certain supplies. Is that an achievable goal? I don't know, but I have to try. I'll order two more boxes of 100 count nitrile gloves, one box of fifty-count 2" x 4" adhesive bandages, and one box of twenty-count 3" x 4" non-adherent pads.

Is there any remedy that no one has mentioned that I should consider if stores are closed, and doctors, hospitals, and dentists are hard to reach for four months? I'm placing my next order this Monday.

Jeanette Isabelle

#297558 - 11/14/20 02:18 AM Re: Prepping for Unforeseen Events in a Grid Down [Re: Blast]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Blast
One hugely important thing to do right now, make friends with your neighbors.

I've already been doing what I can.

Jeanette Isabelle

#297563 - 11/14/20 07:46 AM Re: Prepping for Unforeseen Events in a Grid Down [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
What are your preps for diarrhea, constipation, and all those things that accompany changes in diet and daily routines?

We should not forget old wisdom, or folk medicine.
Yugort is good for diarrhea, so is heavy tea without sugar

In grid-down, or general hard times, or any kind of unforseen stuff, local or old medicine always saves the day. I remember two years ago, I was at my brother's house in another town. I got a bad toothache out of no-where. I was far from my well-stocked pantry and medicine cabinet. He brought me a small piece of mihr (?sp?). I just put it on my tooth for half an hour and I was OK. Since then. mihr(?sp) is always present in my portable pharmacy. It works as local pain killer , and antibiotic.

So, same goes for herbal teas, like mint, hibiscus, thyme , anise, and others.

#297564 - 11/14/20 07:52 AM Re: Prepping for Unforeseen Events in a Grid Down [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

OK, got the correct spelling :

Myrrh

#297565 - 11/14/20 08:00 AM Re: Prepping for Unforeseen Events in a Grid Down [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Oh, and don't forget vitamin/mineral supplements

In grid-down situations, we may not be able to get all the nutrients we need. Either because we do not get our regular foods from store , or maybe not able to cook them as we normally do.

#297566 - 11/14/20 08:26 AM Re: Prepping for Unforeseen Events in a Grid Down [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Oh, one important thing. If the grid is down then water wonīt flow in the pipes because waterpumps donīt work without electricity. That means no water from your faucet and your toilet wonīt flush. So you have to pour water from buckets (to flush) or use buckets as toilet.

Inexpensive DIY Camping Toilet System

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grQzkrJVsnU

Edited by Herman30 (11/14/20 08:31 AM)

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.