Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#297244 - 10/10/20 04:56 PM Re: Doug's pocket survival pak availability [Re: Cauldronborn2]
Cauldronborn2 Offline

Loc: UK

Thanks for replies everyone.

Doug, its sad to hear that their no longer around, they were one of the few ready made kits I didn't have any problem getting. Given Phaedrus's comments I doubt I'll get any of their survival stuff.

Hikermor, I'll definitely be looking to build my own kits from Doug's list.

#297256 - 10/12/20 01:20 AM Re: Doug's pocket survival pak availability [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: hikermor

For example, I spend significant time on the SoCal Channel Islands. The snare wire in the kit would be of little use there. There are no critters, other than rare and endangered species, besides mice. On the other hand, the table is set at every low tide - an abundance of edibles in every tide pool, plus lots of veggie foods on land. Just personal preference, but I would add a Bic lighter. And so on....

I would have a different kit, and rather different gear in general, for a winter hike in the mountains and hills on the mainland.

Personally I am not a big fan of snaring stuff in a PSK anyway. Don't get me wrong, the wire is immensely useful! But most of the time snaring is a low-percentage game so you need to set out a lot of snares, something that's impractical to keep in a small kit. Besides, I'd rather get out of the situation than set up a little homestead and start trapping! smirk What's next, keeping a packet of seeds in the PSK to plant so you can raise crops while awaiting rescue? grin

Maybe I'm not the one to ask though. My kits tend to be much larger. The PSP is awesome and the great foundation for kit but I carry a lot more due to where I live (SW Montana @ 5000 feet of elevation). It's nice to have some things to make survival easier and less painful, and it's great to have some things that while not strictly necessary make life easier. Food is not usually all that important for an ordeal in the 24-72 hour range but of course it's no fun to go days without eating.

#297273 - 10/15/20 03:37 PM Re: Doug's pocket survival pak availability [Re: Cauldronborn2]
Cauldronborn2 Offline

Phaedrus, I have often wondered about the necessity of snare wire and fishing equipment in a survival kit. I can definitely see a need in very remote areas where someone might not see another person for a long time such as Alaska but for most probable use cases I think the space could be better used for other items.

#297274 - 10/15/20 04:24 PM Re: Doug's pocket survival pak availability [Re: Cauldronborn2]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Snare wire can also be used for improvised repair. The fishing-specific items are small in space, weight, and price. The sewing thread doubles as a fishing line, thereby saving space and weight. And, as Doug said, the fishing-specific items exist for marketing reasons.

Jeanette Isabelle

#297275 - 10/15/20 04:55 PM Re: Doug's pocket survival pak availability [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
"I think the space could be better used for other items."

I would agree. In general, food procurement is not a high priority in most survival situations.

You want to carry the items most likely to be useful in thee situations you will encounter. If your likely environments vary, you will need a larger kit, or tweak the smaller kit you will have on hand, especially if you are on foot.

#297320 - 10/19/20 07:24 PM Re: Doug's pocket survival pak availability [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Every item in a kit should have more than one use or ability. Even fishing hooks! laugh

#297347 - 10/23/20 03:19 AM Re: Doug's pocket survival pak availability [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Snort. Yes, I found a source but just for the PSK, not the PSK+. The web page is deceptive because the picture is of the PSK+ but the content list is of the PSK.

And practically in my own back yard - Canadian Prepper in Saskatoon sells them.
https://www.canadianpreparedness.com/

Edited by Roarmeister (10/23/20 03:22 AM)

#297348 - 10/23/20 04:23 AM Re: Doug's pocket survival pak availability [Re: Cauldronborn2]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Sweet! They must be sitting on some NOS.

#297354 - 10/23/20 10:57 PM Re: Doug's pocket survival pak availability [Re: Cauldronborn2]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Center Offspring now has a vehicle, and has asked me to build an emergency kit for same. I have to confess that I am quite pleased by this. Eldest Offspring only very begrudgingly allowed me to put a very small kit in the spare tire space. So, less stock available now.

#297358 - 10/24/20 05:53 PM Re: Doug's pocket survival pak availability [Re: Cauldronborn2]
Cauldronborn2 Offline

Jeanette Isabelle, I agree with you on using the wire and fishing line for repairs, especially braided fishing line, that stuff seems to be closer to very heavy thread than anything else.

Roarmeister, I also agree with you, Every item in a kit should indeed have more than one use or ability. Though in my part of the world I really can't think of an alternative use for fishing hooks, got any ideas? grin

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 193 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.