Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#297324 - 10/19/20 11:01 PM Re: Election plans [Re: brandtb]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Being new to the area (retired here last summer) I didn't honestly didn't know the leanings of folks around here.

Now, there are a LOT of signs in my area. Many (4X-5X) more for one candidate than the other, and lots of really big banners for the apparently more popular candidate.

I don't do signs. I don't need the stress of what they can bring.

I've stepped away from Facebook at least for now because some friends got nasty over even the simplest of political discussions. Lots of emotions, fear, anger, ...

Before then I did have a very interesting and rational discussion about the big 'A' topic with a very good friend from high school who is a neonatal intensive care unit nurse, but somewhat oddly is pro-A. She gave me lots of information I didn't know and points to ponder. If we can discuss that without blowing up, there's hope. PLEASE DON'T DISCUSS THIS HERE. I'm just emphasizing that people can have rational discussions, learn from each other, and remain friends.

#297327 - 10/19/20 11:28 PM Re: Election plans [Re: brandtb]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: brandtb

I never got the yard signs, I doubt if they change any minds. At best, an expensive way of aerating a very small part of the front yard.

Same here! Bumper stickers, too! Who here as ever saw a sign in a stranger's yard or a sticker on a stranger's car and thought to himself, "Well, I guess I better be pro-life now!" or "I guess I better vote for Joe Blow now!"

#297328 - 10/20/20 12:21 AM Re: Election plans [Re: brandtb]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Around here, if you go by yard signs, "candidate A" will win by a landslide. You see very few "candidate B" yard signs (although you do see a lot of American flags, where appear to be a substitute for a B yard sign).

But when you think about it, the way intimidation and denigration of the B side is going these days, you can tell an A voter because they have an A sign in their yard. You can tell a B voter because they DO NOT HAVE an A sign in their yard (they have no sign at all).

Maybe things are different in other parts of the country. But that's the way it is around here.

Tying this back to the original topic of this thread (preparation), in years past we talked about pocket survival kits, what to take when backpacking, etc., in an attempt to prepare ourselves to survive an unforeseen situation. Or we talked about surviving natural disasters. We don't discuss politics because that just tends to start arguments (we all know that, and try to abide by the "no discuss" rule, with minor slips here and there). But these days, the biggest threat to one's life and health is not some misadventure on a trail somewhere. It is your political beliefs! This is very sad. So while we still cannot discuss politics here (and that's a good thing), what we are discussing is surviving political unrest. Identifying people who may possibly attack us for our views. Planning and discussing on how to protect ourselves from such an attack - which by it's nature, is not a pretty or a pleasant thing to discuss. We sound like a bunch of Rambo wannabees at times. But that's where our society has taken us, unfortunately. I am no longer concerned about carrying a signal mirror, a whistle, or a ferro rod. Other things are more appropriate for me to be carrying now. I hope things swing back to the way there were before, and soon.

#297329 - 10/20/20 12:47 AM Re: Election plans [Re: brandtb]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I guess I'm just not really participating in it much. As things are with Covid-19 there's really no gatherings going on. Nearly all the restaurants are only doing take-out. I quit drinking eight years ago so I'm not hanging out in bars. The place I work is 22 miles out of town in the Gallatin Forest so there's no one around but my coworkers, and on a busy day there are maybe four of us there! They're younger folks that aren't really into politics. My vote was set in stone when the primaries ended so I'm not really looking for guidance in random people's yards. grin

#297330 - 10/20/20 02:41 AM Re: Election plans [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
How like a geezer to hark back to bygone eras when yard signs and bumper stickers were displayed! Kind of obsolete in the era of the internet.

Hopefully we will get past this without too much violence and return to some semblance of normalcy.

Just remember that the "normal" hazards of the outdoors still exist and must be dealt with....regardless of societal uproar.

#297331 - 10/20/20 03:08 AM Re: Election plans [Re: brandtb]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
still... it is hard to ignore the 800 pound gorilla in the room... as I approach getting old and frail... I'm glad for 35+ years of practical pistol, rifle, and 3 gun competition...

#297332 - 10/20/20 06:12 PM Re: Election plans [Re: brandtb]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Interestingly, we are suddenly seeing shortages again at Costco and our market. Not as bad as before, but... Theory is that folks are stocking up in case things blow up after the election.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#297333 - 10/20/20 08:19 PM Re: Election plans [Re: brandtb]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Oh no! Hopefully not another toilet paper run!

My sister was just here to visit, and she picked up some TP to help stock our house. Except it was the cheapest, most worthless single-ply stuff I've ever seen. It says there right on the package: "12 mega rolls = 1-1/2 standard rolls" That's how bad it is. I guess I should go buy some more of the quality stuff, just in case.

#297334 - 10/20/20 08:48 PM Re: Election plans [Re: brandtb]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Well, I have TP stacked up and a fresh hay-bale-size pack of paper towels so I'm good! Food storage could always be better but my place isn't huge and I don't really have a spot for a chest freezer. As things stand I have a couple months worth of food I won't mind eating, then a couple more months worth of food I'd rather avoid! My ammo situation is pretty squared away as well.

#297338 - 10/21/20 05:19 PM Re: Election plans [Re: brandtb]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Here where I live in Canada, there is a provincial election (equivalent to a US state election) on Saturday. Typically these are fairly sedate and no extra personal plans are needed before or after.

We will learn later today though if the federal party in office falls to what is known as a non-confidence vote which will trigger a federal election. Again, fairly sedate as compared to our southern neighbours current (and worrisome) situation.

John Lubbock

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.