Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#297076 - 09/21/20 08:49 PM Everyday mask carry?
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I assume you're rocking a mask - but how do you carry it when you're outside or alone? Do you carry a spare?

#297080 - 09/21/20 11:15 PM Re: Everyday mask carry? [Re: TeacherRO]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Yes, in my EDC bag.

Jeanette Isabelle

#297081 - 09/22/20 12:21 AM Re: Everyday mask carry? [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
couple on the front seat of the car, the just used mask goes on the dash getting a UV treatment...I wear suspenders, the elastic ear loop slips behind the buckle, between it and the strap

#297091 - 09/22/20 01:51 PM Re: Everyday mask carry? [Re: TeacherRO]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
I use bandanas. I carry a couple of spares. The one for actual wearing goes in a pocket.
The bandana has a slight disadvantage. As I also wear Akubras the cashiers sometimes are not sure whether they should ask for money or just hand it over wink.

#297097 - 09/22/20 06:09 PM Re: Everyday mask carry? [Re: M_a_x]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
At least one in my right cargo pocket - usually another in the vehicle.

#297249 - 10/11/20 07:11 PM Re: Everyday mask carry? [Re: TeacherRO]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I keep my mask clipped to one of my beltloops with a Nite-ize S-Biner. This method does not constantly crush and bend the metal tightener at the top that goes over the bridge of your nose, like used to happen when I just shoved the mask into a pocket. Those tighteners/stiffeners/whatever-you-call-them are useful for those of us who wear glasses, to prevent fogging.

I wish they prevented fogging better than they do - they are better than nothing, but not great. Being retired, I am only an occasional mask wearer. I put it on when I go into a store or some other public place. I feel for the people who are still working and have to wear a mask for many hours at a time, every day. That would really suck. I would go insane with the glasses fogging. It's going to get worse when the cold of winter gets here. I have heard good reports of simply taping the top of the mask to your face with medical tape. Stops the fogging, but makes the mask more or less permanent for long periods of time. For people who have to wear masks long term like that, it may be an answer however.

#297250 - 10/11/20 08:11 PM Re: Everyday mask carry? [Re: TeacherRO]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I use an RZ mask. It uses an inner filter that the manufacturer claims is comparable to N95 in independent lab tests. (That's not something I count on, though.) The valves really helps direct the outgoing air away from the glasses. Ideally, though, you should cap the valves so you don't risk infecting others if you're sick. The fit is secure and comfortable enough for something that tight. I can wear it for hours, and I can talk without having to adjust the mask.

The RZ mask is a bit bulky, but it's slim enough for me to carry in my back pocket if need be. The metal piece over the nose is big and thick (relatively speaking), and I have no fear of snapping it.

I carry the mask in a plastic bag to separate it from other items. I don't want to breathe in the mystery fuzz in my pocket or bag, and I don't want the surface of the mask to touch other things in case it gets an germs on it.

I also have an Ecolox machine that makes hypochlorous acid at home. This disinfectant is gentle on the human body, but hell on viruses. At 200 ppm, it kills avian flu germs within seconds according to an independent scientific study. Its kill time for COVID-19 germs should be comparable. So I use this instead of alcohol-based gel to disinfect my hands. The main problem with this liquid is that it degrades pretty fast. Consequently you cannot buy it in a store. You need a machine to make a fresh batch every day or at least every other day.

I regularly disinfect the mask and the carrying bag with hypochlorous acid. The mask is not disposable, and even if it never comes across any airborne COVID-19, it will eventually begin to smell from your garlic bread.

#297257 - 10/12/20 12:55 PM Re: Everyday mask carry? [Re: haertig]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: haertig
Those tighteners/stiffeners/whatever-you-call-them are useful for those of us who wear glasses, to prevent fogging.

The mask is for preventing a person from spreading the virus via aerosol. If the glasses get fogged it is a sign that the mask is not worn properly. Good masks allow to adjust the metal strip on the nose bridge tight enough to prevent fogging.

#297258 - 10/12/20 03:16 PM Re: Everyday mask carry? [Re: TeacherRO]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

I live in Washington, D.C. and before I walk out the front door I put on a mask. And I keep it on if I'm walking. Don't put it over my nose unless someone is within half a block. We walk a lot in the bike lanes these days. I don't wear it in the car but a lot of people do if others are in the car with them.

Masks during the COVID era should be as much about protecting others as protecting ourselves. It is common courtesy to wear one in proximity to others unless they are in your agreed upon COVID bubble. There are just a few friends in my COVID bubble.

Bandanas don't protect anyone. And my N95 masks have vents that would expel COVID to others so I don't wear those, either.

I keep a couple masks in the car (and always put one on for going through the drive-thru at restaurants, doing grocery pickups, etc.). Have a dozen cloth masks, some of which will take a filter.

Going to be a lot nicer to wear a mask during the colder months. Wore one biking on a recent cold morning and it was fine. Was very uncomfortable this summer, even walking up the street.

#297264 - 10/13/20 03:22 PM Re: Everyday mask carry? [Re: TeacherRO]
brandtb Offline
Addict

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania
I use a gator type mask -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088ZYTSKK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

because I find it easier to manipulate it over my face, but because it doesn't actually filter anything I attach a piece of hepa filter (from a vacuum cleaner bag) with clips inside the gator.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.