Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#297165 - 10/01/20 03:07 AM Re: Knife sharpening [Re: Bingley]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: Bingley
Some of you must be into knife sharpening, right?

I'm thinking about replacing my tired Spyderco sharpening kit. The Ruixin 008 looks like a really good deal, but I wouldn't really know. What kind of problems would a newbie run into using such a kit? I have some Henckel knives, plus the usual assortment of pocket knives. The only tricky one is a Shun knife, which supposedly has a different angle.

I'd love to hear your thoughts about sharpening kits for someone who just wants to cook and open packages.

Well, the idea is certainly sound. I can't comment on how well it's made, you'll have to go by reviews. But I can say that most of the systems that clamp the blade like that have two limitations. First is that the thickness of the clamp itself dictates how low an angle you can achieve before the stone scrapes the clamp. For hunting knives and German kitchen knives that probably won't be an issue but you never know. The other issue is that to do longer knives you will have to unclamp, move the blade and clamp again. This can be annoying and depending on how the design is executed it may be challenging to index the knife at the precise same angle when you do reclamp. The arm that holds the stone looks to be fairly long so that might not be an issue with knives 8" or less but it's hard to say.

Lastly I'm not familiar with it at all so I don't know if you're stuck with the stones supplied or if you can use other stones. Just a cursory look indicates they're 6" long; if that's the case then Edge Pro stones may work, and at least a couple companies manufacture stones that size (including DMT diamond plates/stones). There's a company that's known for industrial abrasives that offers stones in that size at this exact second I can't remember the name.

#297253 - 10/12/20 12:47 AM Re: Knife sharpening [Re: Bingley]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
This gives me a chance to ask a related question ...

There is a YouTube video maker that I enjoy called "Project Farm" that did a video comparing knife sharpeners.

https://youtu.be/uEDyYJJ6f9M

It included the Spiderco Sharpmaker, which I've used for many years, and it rated well for its sharpening capability, BUT the video goes on to stroke the sharpened knives on hardwood, and then measuring the sharpness, and the Sharpmaker sharpened knife failed pretty miserably.

Why would that one sharpener cause a knife to dull so badly? He used the same model of knife for all testing. New, dull it, sharpen it, test sharpness, hardwood, test sharpness. I couldn't tell if he only used one knife per sharpener (sample size = 1). If so, I tend to wonder if he had a bad blade.

Any feedback on this??

BTW, the Lansky with the angle rods and four different grits was found to be excellent for the price.

#297254 - 10/12/20 01:09 AM Re: Knife sharpening [Re: Bingley]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I really like Project Farm but while he does a great job overall he uses the same approach on everything even when it doesn't necessarily apply. I've used the Sharpmaker before and used to have one. My guess is that he doesn't fully understand how sharpening works, particularly with regard to the burr. Also there's a human factor in using them, especially the Sharpmaker. The Spyderco sharpener is relatively simple but there's still a learning curve and some technique involved. There are also issues with simple testers like he used.

The Sharpmaker works well IMO but it's slow if you need to reprofile a blade. I didn't have the diamond rods which of course would speed up the process. The tool is best used for touch-ups and you're best not letting it get too dully.

#297255 - 10/12/20 01:13 AM Re: Knife sharpening [Re: KenK]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: KenK

Why would that one sharpener cause a knife to dull so badly? He used the same model of knife for all testing. New, dull it, sharpen it, test sharpness, hardwood, test sharpness. I couldn't tell if he only used one knife per sharpener (sample size = 1). If so, I tend to wonder if he had a bad blade.

Probably he created a fairly large burr and didn't remove it. A wire edge will seem pretty sharp but the work-hardened metal will quickly fail. That's why deburring is such an important step but one he ignored. I usually use a leather belt on my grinder because it works quickly and I'm lazy. grin But a leather strop, hard felt, some cork or balsa wood or even the end grain of a block of wood will do the job. You need to try not to create a huge burr; that makes removing it easier.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 413 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.