Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#297008 - 09/17/20 04:52 AM Notes from Getting Through Hurricane Sally
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Hope everyone in the Gulf Coast region go through Sally okay!

Power could go out more than 12 hours before the hurricane hits land, just because of the stormy conditions. Don't plan on charging everything a few hours before landfall.

Do a test run of your generator BEFORE the hurricane, even if you just bought it last year. Seriously. It was basically a brand new generator.

Ear plugs if your neighbor has a loud generator.

Tell people on social media to contact you by text so the panicky types don't think you died. Internet went out, but SMS still worked.

Get a SW radio. Many radio stations went down, and those that stayed up did not have programming that I found worthwhile. (This was both the luck of the draw and personal preference.) When power and internet (including mobile data) are both out, radio was my only way of keeping track of news. Do you guys know if I'll be able to get BBC on SW in the US? Which SW radio do you recommend?

I used the headlamp a lot more than any types of lighting. Time to stock up on AAA batteries or find headlamps that use AA. (I've been trying to "standardize" all my equipment so they use only AA. But there is just something about size...)

The old timers all headed out to buy ice after the hurricane passed. At first I thought I didn't need that, since I prepared by putting bags of ice in the freezer. But then I realized nobody knew how long the power outage was going to last, and without additional ice food was going to spoil.

Loved my butane stove. Being able to make hot food, coffee, hot water for washing, etc. was great for morale.

Right now I have an external battery and an inverter for my car. So these are the two sources of power for my phone. I feel like I need an additional source. The battery will last only two charges. If I get unlucky, I could lose my car.

My Wilson Electronics cell signal extender may be outdated technology. I think I've had it for eight years. It used to be able to extend my range by maybe 5-10 miles, but I didn't notice any change in the signal bars.

Initially they predicted such a historic flooding that I wondered whether I'd end up being one of those people who have to go up on the roof. Right now I don't have a plan for that type of flooding.

#297009 - 09/17/20 12:33 PM Re: Notes from Getting Through Hurricane Sally [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Move to the western US and you won't have to deal with hurricanes.On the other hand , it is distressingly easy to roast hot dogs, etc.

#297012 - 09/17/20 02:24 PM Re: Notes from Getting Through Hurricane Sally [Re: Bingley]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Thanks for the report Bingley. Stay safe.

#297015 - 09/17/20 07:19 PM Re: Notes from Getting Through Hurricane Sally [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Fora quality single AA lamp , let me recommend either Zebralight H53c or H53w. Both use a single AA battery, Eneloops recommended.

http://www.zebralight.com/H53c-AA-Headlamp-Neutral-White-High-CRI_p_194.html#

I have a similar model and also a headlamp powered by an 18650 battery, which is the best lighting appliance I have ever used/

Zebralight makes really good stuff....

#297018 - 09/17/20 08:52 PM Re: Notes from Getting Through Hurricane Sally [Re: Bingley]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
Agree with hikermor if have the budget Zebralight is never a bad choice.

Less expensive is the Thrunite TH20, or Acebeam H40 both around $30 and available on Amazon.

#297020 - 09/17/20 09:02 PM Re: Notes from Getting Through Hurricane Sally [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Compared to offerings of just a few years ago, there are quite a few decent, reliable lights available.

#297025 - 09/18/20 03:01 AM Re: Notes from Getting Through Hurricane Sally [Re: Bingley]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Why is Zebralight so good as to be worth the price?

Also, I discovered that BBC stopped broadcasting in shortwave in North America... 20 years ago. Other broadcasters like Deutsche Welle and Radio France followed suit. I'm not sure what to do if I want good radio programming during a disaster.

#297026 - 09/18/20 03:47 AM Re: Notes from Getting Through Hurricane Sally [Re: Bingley]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: Bingley
Why is Zebralight so good as to be worth the price?

I've never had a Zebralight but looking at that particular product I'd say any top shelf light will be in the same price range if not a bit more.

#297029 - 09/18/20 08:56 AM Re: Notes from Getting Through Hurricane Sally [Re: Bingley]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: Bingley

Also, I discovered that BBC stopped broadcasting in shortwave in North America... 20 years ago. Other broadcasters like Deutsche Welle and Radio France followed suit. I'm not sure what to do if I want good radio programming during a disaster.

This made me think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0NfI2NeDHI

#297030 - 09/18/20 12:45 PM Re: Notes from Getting Through Hurricane Sally [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I like ZL's and pay the price willingly because of reliability, construction quality (hence ruggedness), and versatility. A wide range of user adjustable light levels to suit almost any situation.

In caving, for years the standard has been "three independent light sources. Lately a common rig has been two ZLs mounted on the helmet, one adjusted for flood and one for spot.

That is about $200 devoted to lighting, but well worth it when that is the only light source is what you are carrying....

Edited by hikermor (09/18/20 03:01 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 301 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.