Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#297004 - 09/16/20 09:50 PM Re: New purchases? [Re: TeacherRO]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
An extended battery cell phone case and a Radiooddity DB25 dual band (2m & 70cm) shortwave transceiver. I'll try to write up a review of the transceiver once I finish programming it and installing it in my vehicle.
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#297007 - 09/17/20 04:19 AM Re: New purchases? [Re: chaosmagnet]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

So, as I have been introducing a number of former non-owners to firearms of late, this is my perspective.

1. I agree that having a firearm is better than not. Learning how to handle it safely is key, but there are any number of ways to accomplish that, including innumerable videos online from many sources including NSSF and NRA.

2. There is a huge advantage to one-on-one instruction in safe gun handling. Even better at a range. I agree that any conscientious and responsible gun owner should be able to teach that. Having said that, not all firearm owners are conscientious and responsible. I have seen too many sorry examples of unsafe gun handling to believe that just any gun owner can teach safe gun handling. Just saying...

3. There is a HUGE difference between quality instructors and those who think they are God's gift to firearms instruction and actually suck. Teaching is a skill that not every "instructor" has. As but one example, I have one friend who can diagnose your shooting issue in seconds and fix it. I have seen terrible instructors be unable to sort out a shooter's obvious to even me problem(s) because they are just poor instructors without the skills and experience. And the number I have seen who obviously spend too much time watching Hollywood fiction I can't even count. All instructors are not created equal and way too many aren't very good at all. No difference than in any field of instruction.

4. There is an ever HUGER difference between learning how to shoot safely and even accurately, and learning how to deal with a real live self-defense situation. The difference between shooting and gun-fighting is an order of magnitude. But, everyone needs to start with the basics of safe and accurate shooting before you move to the next level.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#297021 - 09/17/20 11:29 PM Re: New purchases? [Re: chaosmagnet]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Thanks for the input everyone!!

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I know a firearms trainer in Cascade, WI if that’s close to you. He’s very good.

Sadly Cascade is a 2.5 hour drive - one way. My first look didn't find any nearby ranges - closest in Green Bay, maybe a 1.5 hour drive one way. Recently my wife found several listed much closer. I'll look into them when we can travel. Honestly, we are pretty much holed up to avoid the virus.

We have very large front (toward the road) windows - imagine six sliding glass door panes - across our great room. We see everything and everyone that goes down the road or turns into our driveway. So many people walking by strain to see us inside (nosey). I (we) imagine the scenario where someone pulls into the driveway, I walk to the window to see who it is, someone I don't know comes to the sliding glass door or nearby front door, and starts kicking their way in. What do I do? One dog would start barking for sure. That is a good thing. After that, I'm not sure.

I'm not imagining more than a few people, and the nice thing about a shotgun is it is very visible. Heck, just the pump is a very noticeable noise.

I do have some fairly close neighbors - next door and across the street a bit down the lakeshore (the lake is on the other side of the road). That is cause for concern with the handgun. Another reason I like the idea of the shotgun. I've read about the low kick (can't remember the name) defense shotgun shells and like that idea. I'm not sure if I can get those here. Again, I'll ask around as I can get out and about.

My only concern about the shotgun is conveniently having it nearby in the great room. Hanging on the wall puts it in view from outside. If I had a stand, I could put it upright in a less visible corner. I've looked for an upright stand online, but didn't find one for one gun. I'll probably try to create one. I kind of like the idea of having the shotgun chamber empty, but shells in the magazine (its a pump Remington 870 I've had since a teenager squirrel hunting).

BTW, talking with our hay guy (for our horses) a few weeks ago ... apparently very late one evening (near 11 pm) he's getting ready for bed when his dogs start barking. He looks outside and sees a car with headlights on parked maybe 200 feet from his house, in front of his barns. He grabs his 30-30, goes outside, and finds someone on the side of his house (picture an older farm house). It turned out it was a census guy - not sure what he was doing at the side of the house - at 11 pm, on a remote farm, in the dark. The hay guy chewed him out good.

BTW, I feel better having seen Doug in the conversation. I don't mean to turn this into a shooter's/defense forum. I was VERY intrigued by the inReach/ATT issue post. Watching it closely.

#297022 - 09/17/20 11:49 PM Re: New purchases? [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Firearms are an important survival tool! A gun isn't always the right tool for the job, but when it is no other option is as good. Hopefully you have a bit of ammo salted away; it might be pretty hard to find defensive ammo in any of the most popular rounds (eg 9mm, 5.56, & 12 ga). I don't have very much reduced recoil stuff on hand, mostly just full-power 00 Buckshot.

#297023 - 09/17/20 11:50 PM Re: New purchases? [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

If you can't find anything locally let me know. I could ship some but I'd have to find a shipper. UPS will ship ammo IRC but not at the UPS Store, you generally have to find their office/warehouse.

#297024 - 09/18/20 01:11 AM Re: New purchases? [Re: Phaedrus]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Mom has been saying how difficult it is to buy ammo this year.

Jeanette Isabelle

#297038 - 09/18/20 09:43 PM Re: New purchases? [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: KenK
It turned out it was a census guy - not sure what he was doing at the side of the house - at 11 pm, on a remote farm, in the dark. The hay guy chewed him out good.

A Census guy? On a remote farm? At 11pm? I’d have called the cops for sure, and if he was acting more suspiciously than just being there (like walking around the side of the house, peering in windows, or something like that) there’d be cause to make him wait for the cops.

#297040 - 09/18/20 10:14 PM Re: New purchases? [Re: TeacherRO]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Quote:
Census takers work between 9am and 9pm, including weekends.

https://2020census.gov/en/census-takers.html

#297041 - 09/18/20 10:22 PM Re: New purchases? [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Right now I'm trying really hard to talk myself out of buying some Level IV rifle plates! blush grin Intellectually I know the odds of 1) needing rifle-rated armor are low and 2) the odds of actually having it on when I do suddenly need it are lower still. But it's just very cool, the tech is interesting and it's not super expensive in the grand scheme of things. The stuff that uses tiled ceramic over UHMWPE is very light, around $120/plate and has been demonstrated to reliably stop multiple rounds of M193, M855, .30/06 and even 300 Win Mag and .338 Lapua.

Of course, I've made it to age 51 without getting into a firefight...

#297042 - 09/18/20 11:38 PM Re: New purchases? [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I've taken advantage of the Glock Blue Label purchase program when they made it available for DD214 holders also ... a G45 last year and a G43x this... Steel Challenge competition has really become popular around the Tampa Bay area... bought myself an early birthday present...a Holosun 507 for the 10/22... Trijicon RMR2 last year

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.