Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#296977 - 09/14/20 08:50 PM New purchases?
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I just bought a new cell phone battery.
Tiny, 10,000 amp and smaller than a deck of cards.

#296990 - 09/15/20 02:21 AM Re: New purchases? [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I was reviewing my inventory and discovered that my emergency food components of my kits have all recently expired. Considering that they live in vehicle trunks, I ordered fresh and threw the expired components out. They’re probably good for far longer in climate controlled environments.

#296992 - 09/15/20 02:41 PM Re: New purchases? [Re: chaosmagnet]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I've been rummaging around in Chaosmagnet's trash at night looking for snacks.

In these uncertain times (said with a bit of sarcasm regarding TV commercials) I don't travel very much or very far. Last year my wife & I retired to a national forest in the Wisconsin Northwoods.

I'd posted that my wife absolutely surprised me with an orange Ritter Mk1. She knows I like Doug's knives, and this one is a real looker.

Lately we've been talking about getting a new personal locator beacon (the one we have has probably aged out) because up here it is all too common to have no cell phone signal, and getting stuck in winter can be life threatening.

I want to buy a handgun, but training/range facilities are mostly closed, and Chaosmagnet convinced me that without training I should wait. My 12g is fine for now.

Most of my time has been spent setting up for doing some garage-based woodworking. Nothing fancy. BUT, because of the virus and the fact that many people around here don't wear masks in public, I'm not buying lumber/plywood at this time. So I'm learning, planning, and doing what I can via online ordering. Luckily we got our four horse stalls built last fall - before the new virus. If you have any interest, I'll recommend the online courses at theweekendwoodworker dot com.

Stay safe.

#296993 - 09/15/20 02:54 PM Re: New purchases? [Re: TeacherRO]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Some shelf stable food stuff:
canned corned beef
canned bread (250g a can)
hard tack (the type the have in the German MRE)
NRG 5 rations

in the communication department:
a 40m minimal art kit (CW only) assembly required

for personal protection:
saftey glasses (had to replace a pair I gave to my nephew)
new armoured motorcycle boots (adventure or "Mad Max" style)

just for fun:
nonsterile sutures for training purposes

#296998 - 09/15/20 09:18 PM Re: New purchases? [Re: KenK]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: KenK

I want to buy a handgun, but training/range facilities are mostly closed, and Chaosmagnet convinced me that without training I should wait. My 12g is fine for now.

It's a decision that needs to be considered carefully. However, I think the odds of survival favor a guy with a gun and no training vs a guy with firearms training and no firearm! Training is important and a big asset but many untrained people have used handguns successfully for self defense. As Mark Moritz used to say the first rule of gunfighting is have a gun!

That said, as long as you know how to use the shotgun it's a fine home defense tool, probably better overall than a sidearm.

#296999 - 09/16/20 01:23 AM Re: New purchases? [Re: KenK]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: KenK
I've been rummaging around in Chaosmagnet's trash at night looking for snacks.

Mrs. Magnet and Middle Offspring definitely thought that I was Wrong for laughing so loud at that one.

Quote:
I'd posted that my wife absolutely surprised me with an orange Ritter Mk1. She knows I like Doug's knives, and this one is a real looker.

Outstanding! Kudos to Mrs. K!

Quote:

I know a firearms trainer in Cascade, WI if that’s close to you. He’s very good.

Handguns can be hard to find right now in the US for all the obvious reasons. I did very well (with trophies to prove it) with a variety S&W M&P handguns. Relatively recently I moved to the Sig P320 platform, and I’m very happy with that. However, what works for me might not work as well for you, so get trained and find something that works well for you. You should be focused on striker-fired, polymer-framed semiautomatic pistols in 9mm while you’re looking. Springfield’s XD series, S&W’s M&P series, Sig’s P320 series, Glocks are great starting points. A few years ago, most of the serious shooters I knew were using Glocks. Now, most of them are running Sig.

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
It's a decision that needs to be considered carefully. However, I think the odds of survival favor a guy with a gun and no training vs a guy with firearms training and no firearm! Training is important and a big asset but many untrained people have used handguns successfully for self defense. As Mark Moritz used to say the first rule of gunfighting is have a gun!

Agreed. Also, I’ve been doing FaceTime “this is how you don’t have a Negligent Discharge” training for new handgun owners virtually, and I’d be happy to do that for you without charge.

#297000 - 09/16/20 03:47 AM Re: New purchases? [Re: Phaedrus]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado

That said, as long as you know how to use the shotgun it's a fine home defense tool, probably better overall than a sidearm.

In the home, my sidearm's purpose is to help me fight my way to one of my "retreat rooms". Where I have more capable longarms, extra ammo, cover, concealment, communications, and very importantly - complete control over the single door entrance into the room. If a bad guy wants to chase me down that rabbit hole, they have a big surprise waiting at the end. It's pretty much a reverse ambush with overwhelming odds against them.

However, that particular defense plan is for a home invasion of only a handful attackers. Not a mob outside with Molotov cocktails and such. You'll have to be on the move to get out of a mob situation, and a handgun is better suited for that IMHO. Also, sometimes you may need to conceal your firearm and blend in to escape a mob scene, and a handgun definitely wins there.

Unfortunately, if you want a handgun but don't have one already, you're probably out of luck. If you manage to score one, your next obstacle would be finding ammo for it.

With all due respect to the instructors out there, you do not need someone with an official "instructor" title to teach you to be safe and effective with a firearm. Pretty much any experienced and conscientious firearm owner can train you up to a high level of competence and safety. Official instructors are nice, but they don't have any super secret knowledge that nobody else has. Pretty much, they are just experienced and conscientious firearms owners that filled in some paperwork and paid a fee to get a certificate. Again, nothing against instructors, they can do a very good job, but they are not magical creatures. You do want someone who will teach you hands on though. Googling and reading webpages is not sufficient.

#297001 - 09/16/20 05:08 AM Re: New purchases? [Re: haertig]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: haertig

In the home, my sidearm's purpose is to help me fight my way to one of my "retreat rooms". Where I have more capable longarms, extra ammo, cover, concealment, communications, and very importantly - complete control over the single door entrance into the room. If a bad guy wants to chase me down that rabbit hole, they have a big surprise waiting at the end. It's pretty much a reverse ambush with overwhelming odds against them.

I think you've got it exactly right! I'm kind of a gun nut but I certainly am not going to walk around outside clearing the structure! My plan is to stay behind a locked door with a cell phone on speaker and my shotgun or rifle trained on the door. Let any potential assailant come to me, not go looking for him or her.

However, that particular defense plan is for a home invasion of only a handful attackers. Not a mob outside with Molotov cocktails and such. You'll have to be on the move to get out of a mob situation, and a handgun is better suited for that IMHO. Also, sometimes you may need to conceal your firearm and blend in to escape a mob scene, and a handgun definitely wins there.

I think it's exceedingly unlikely that I'll have to repel mobs armed with torches and pitchforks. Certain media personalities are trying to portray the nation as being under siege but in my experience that's a distortion at best and an outright fabrication at worse. There are some hotspots I am not in one, nor is my home likely to become an epicenter of violence. I am prepared as always to deal with whatever, though, as best as I can.

I've had a CCW permit for virtually my entire adult life. A handgun in an indispensable tool for me in my EDC! Certainly it can accompany me in places where a long gun wouldn't be practical.

Unfortunately, if you want a handgun but don't have one already, you're probably out of luck. If you manage to score one, your next obstacle would be finding ammo for it.

Yeah, depending on where you live they're hard to find. Here in Bozeman you can still find a sidearm; it may not be your 1st choice with all the options you want but you can get something. Ammo though is pretty thin on the ground. Since this isn't my first (or second or third...) rodeo I'm pretty well stocked up on the stuff I use, namely 9mm, 5.56 NATO and 12ga 00 Buck and slugs for wilderness/bear defense.

With all due respect to the instructors out there, you do not need someone with an official "instructor" title to teach you to be safe and effective with a firearm. Pretty much any experienced and conscientious firearm owner can train you up to a high level of competence and safety. Official instructors are nice, but they don't have any super secret knowledge that nobody else has. Pretty much, they are just experienced and conscientious firearms owners that filled in some paperwork and paid a fee to get a certificate. Again, nothing against instructors, they can do a very good job, but they are not magical creatures. You do want someone who will teach you hands on though. Googling and reading webpages is not sufficient.

That's spot on. It's pretty easy to learn the 4 Rules of Firearms safety and if you have any firearms experience it applies to any firearm. The manual of arms might be specific to each individual gun to a degree but distance learning will help as will safe and deliberate dry fire and manipulation. Go slow and be careful. Obviously I'm in favor of hands-on training but in an emergency setting you're better off being a little less ready than you'd like but still armed vs being unarmed.

#297002 - 09/16/20 04:23 PM Re: New purchases? [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Official instructors are nice, but they don't have any super secret knowledge that nobody else has.

Absolutely correct. There are plenty of firearms owners out there without formal training qualifications that can and do provide good training.

I've seen some awful instruction from both non-qualified firearms owners and from qualified instructors. I know of one certified instructor who ended up getting two of his students shot from unsafe practices, and ended up getting kicked out of the instructor program he was a part of.

Quote:
Pretty much, they are just experienced and conscientious firearms owners that filled in some paperwork and paid a fee to get a certificate.

Here I respectfully disagree. I'm not aware of any paperwork+fee programs to become certified instructors, generally there are some classes involved as well.

It seems to me like the best way to find out who is good and who isn't is to educate yourself the best you can on your own, find good (safe!) instructors, and see who they recommend.

I've been privileged to train with many well-respected and some famous instructors, and whenever I get the chance I ask them who else I should train with. Good instructors will recommend other good instructors, rather than tell you that you have to train with them exclusively.

#297003 - 09/16/20 07:43 PM Re: New purchases? [Re: chaosmagnet]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Here I respectfully disagree. I'm not aware of any paperwork+fee programs to become certified instructors, generally there are some classes involved as well.

My wording was not very good there. My comment was based on an acquaintance that said "You fill out a little paperwork on yourself and learn how to fill out paperwork on students, and that's about it." That somewhat flippant comment may not actually reflect reality, and may have been half in jest, but I took it to be an accurate description. The question was asked and answered during my CCW class many years ago.

The class was really very good - at the range (outdoor) were were trained and fired on moving targets. They have a pretty cool apparatus of human shaped targets on wheels that they pulled around erratically for you to try and engage. And they had safety officers back with us students making sure we didn't get out of hand swinging our line of fire left and right ... something that you seldom get to do at a range. I had been shooting for decades before that, but had not gotten much experience shooting at moving targets. Mind you, this was not a required part of the CCW class - it was an extra, optional, paid addition.

That addition to the main class was certainly fun, and good practice. But it really wasn't teaching us new information. Just letting us practice. I guess I did learn one thing though - it's a lot harder to hit a fast moving target with a little snub nosed .38 than hitting a stationary target. I did not find that to be as much of a problem with a larger size semi though. Probably because I don't shoot a snubby revolver very often. They're actually quite snappy little buggers, especially with +P. But I was testing it against other firearms to decide which would be the best for CCW.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.