Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#296880 - 08/27/20 05:10 AM Pocket caddy/holster for pepper spray?
Bingley Offline
Veteran

In an emergency you need to be able to know where your pepper spray is rather than having to fish for it in a pocket or in a bag. That includes knowing that your pepper spray will be oriented in a certain direction when you reach for it. You don't want to carry a holster on your belt. Carrying it in your pocket seems to make sense. It seems like the best solution is some sort of pocket caddy or pocket holster. Has anyone explored this? What products work for you?

I've tried a pocket holster designed for small pistols. It doesn't work well for a pepper spray can, which is actually fatter than pistols.

I have tried a wallet/pouch thing for stuff like knives, flashlights, & pens. The problem with it is that if I try to draw one of the items, often the whole wallet comes out with it.

#296881 - 08/27/20 11:46 AM Re: Pocket caddy/holster for pepper spray? [Re: Bingley]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I’m not sure why belt carry wouldn’t work for you.

My suggestion for pocket carry of anything that needs to be instantly accessible is to dedicate a pocket to it. I’m not aware of a pepper spray pocket holster other than for Kimber’s Pepper Blaster. Perhaps you could find a good open-topped belt holster and attach it to a pocket-sized-and-shaped sheet of kydex?

#296884 - 08/27/20 02:07 PM Re: Pocket caddy/holster for pepper spray? [Re: Bingley]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
I'll go along with Chaosmagnet - a belt holster would be best. Some ideas here: https://www.galls.com/defense-spray-holders

For my two cents... having done years of training with Corrections and street officers, you've got to have your 'tools' such as pepper spray, set up for access the same place, the same way at all times. Pocket carry can work but you need a dedicated pocket - sew a part of the front pants pocket closed so it is a correct size to hold the canister properly. You can get pants (like 511) that can have a dedicated pocket for pepper spray too.

If you are using one of the small key chain size - it needs to be secured somehow so it is always in the same position. You might be able to find a holder at a sporting goods store used for flashlights that could work too. Good luck!

#296885 - 08/27/20 08:16 PM Re: Pocket caddy/holster for pepper spray? [Re: Bingley]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
my 1.380" dia can of Punch II (37 grains net) easily fits in an old nylon Blackhawk pouch for a high cap 9mm magazine... a little bit of something stuffed in the bottom to hold it high enough so it can be easily grasped...

#296886 - 08/27/20 11:38 PM Re: Pocket caddy/holster for pepper spray? [Re: Bingley]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
My only spray is in the large canisters intended for bear deterrent. I EDC a sidearm but I do think spray is a good idea for the threats that warrant more than fists but less than going to guns. But I don't know much about the products intended for self defense against humans; sounds like I need to do some research.

#296887 - 08/28/20 06:09 AM Re: Pocket caddy/holster for pepper spray? [Re: Bingley]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Thanks for the input, everybody! Belt carry is indeed the best solution, but, sad to say, there are non-permissive environments even for non-lethal options like the pepper spray, even in places where it is perfectly legal to carry a spray. I can't change those environments, so I just want to work around them.

A dedicated pocket is what I've been doing, though without the benefit of a compartment or a "holster" to keep the spray in place.

I had the Kimber, and I found it awkward to hold in my hands. So I don't think I can rely on it.

Someone once showed me his waistpack. It had some sort of home-rigged wire system to allow him to deploy the spray quickly. I almost laughed at him. Now I wish I had taken notes!

#296888 - 08/28/20 08:35 AM Re: Pocket caddy/holster for pepper spray? [Re: Bingley]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
While I myself am not certified to teach pepper spray usage, some friends are. They recommend either Sabre Red or Pom, and with a flip-top cap. They tell me that the slide to one side type are more likely to give you a case of “spicy thighs.”

#296892 - 08/28/20 03:12 PM Re: Pocket caddy/holster for pepper spray? [Re: Bingley]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
how large is your spray container ? suggestions are size relevant .... diameter and length

#296896 - 08/30/20 04:00 AM Re: Pocket caddy/holster for pepper spray? [Re: Bingley]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I'm not a pepper spray teacher either, but I've also heard that Sabre Red is good. I've also heard good things about Fox Lab and Defense Technology. I didn't know about POM, but a cursory glance suggests its appearance is meant for non-permissive environments. By contrast, a certain commonly found brand doesn't have a very good reputation, so anyone who is looking for brand advice should do a bit of research.

It's hard to find pepper spray training, and with so many people carrying spray, there is really a need.

As for size, currently I have 1.5" diameter canisters. It's ergonomic, but noticeable in the pocket -- even more so than a pocket gun holster because of the shape. I am thinking of going down to 1" to it'd draw less attention.

#296897 - 08/30/20 04:42 AM Re: Pocket caddy/holster for pepper spray? [Re: Bingley]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Red Sabre and POM are the ones that most police trainers seem to prefer. I will look into it for sure. I will still CCW a sidearm but OC would be great as a bridge between lethal and nonlethal.

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 191 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.