The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#296522 - 07/01/20 09:35 PM I'm Moving Out of Hell
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Yesterday, Mom bought moving boxes and packing tape. Today I helped with packing the boxes. We got an estimate on the flooring so we can sell this house. We're moving out of Florida, which for me has been a tropical hell.

We have discussed this since last week, and the decision was finalized yesterday. We need to get out of Florida by September.

Unfortunately, a monkey wrench has been thrown into the works. Mom may require surgery. It's just our luck that everything seems to be happening at the same time.

Jeanette Isabelle

Edited by Jeanette_Isabelle (07/01/20 10:08 PM)

#296523 - 07/02/20 12:18 AM Re: I'm Moving Out of Hell [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I hope your Mom's surgery goes well! Congrats on getting out of there, where are you folks moving?

#296524 - 07/02/20 12:22 AM Re: I'm Moving Out of Hell [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I must note that while there are very nice places to live, everywhere seems to have advantages and disadvantages. I grew up in the Midwest and lived in SD and MN for many years. The weather was a downside, brutally hot and humid in the summer and bone-numbingly cold in the winter. And tornados! The weather is nicer out in north Idaho and SW Montana where I live now (well, Montana winters can be comparable) but wildfires are a constant concern.

#296525 - 07/02/20 01:39 AM Re: I'm Moving Out of Hell [Re: Phaedrus]
Carpal Tunnel

Mom does not want me to reveal the new location even though it's possible to track us once we get there. Also, as she pointed out to me, our new home has yet to be set in stone.

Jeanette Isabelle

#296526 - 07/02/20 01:52 AM Re: I'm Moving Out of Hell [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Well, hopefully it works out for you guys! Good luck with the move. grin

#296527 - 07/02/20 02:08 AM Re: I'm Moving Out of Hell [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Best of luck with the move!

#296530 - 07/02/20 05:53 PM Re: I'm Moving Out of Hell [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
What went wrong in florida for you? Is it just the climate?
Qjs

#296531 - 07/02/20 06:05 PM Re: I'm Moving Out of Hell [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Not trying to speak for Jeanette_Isabelle but the climate, skeeters and hurricanes would have chased me out long ago!

#296532 - 07/02/20 06:46 PM Re: I'm Moving Out of Hell [Re: quick_joey_small]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
What went wrong in florida for you? Is it just the climate?

The short answer is yes.

I spent most of my life in North Texas, where it did get hot in the summer, which was okay. We did get some humidity, but no one used their air conditioner in February. Here, it can get uncomfortably humid even in February. We do get some beautiful days, but for the most part, we don't get any seasons except for one.

Also, I'm a city gal, but we're about ten miles from the city. We currently live in a planned community, which helps in some ways, but we don't have sidewalks nor streetlights. When I lived in Texas, I never heard of a place that does not have street lights. Even the most remote locations in Texas have street lights. Here you have to be living in the right place to get a street light.

And while this part of the county is growing, the infrastructure was not designed for growth. Most of the businesses are built on one street, turning this area's main positive into a mess.

Jeanette Isabelle

#296533 - 07/02/20 06:48 PM Re: I'm Moving Out of Hell [Re: Phaedrus]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
Not trying to speak for Jeanette_Isabelle but the climate, skeeters and hurricanes would have chased me out long ago!

Fortunately, the skeeters are not as bad as I thought they would.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.