Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#296637 - 07/19/20 01:59 AM Re: Mask preferences [Re: Famdoc]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Famdoc

... and far lower number of deaths per capita compared to the USA, which FAR exceeds any other country:
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

I'll call your statistic, and raise you one:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

The last column is "per capita". The US does NOT lead in that table.

My point is that you can't trust statistics. They have been rushed and hastily thrown together, not peer reviewed, calculated differently in different places, subject to the reporting differences "died OF covid" vs. "died of something else but WITH covid present", and most importantly - taken over by people with an agenda to push. They are simply not to be believed. Just like mainstream media. No longer credible.

You say, "Wear a mask, and it might help you." I say, "Wear a mask, but it probably won't help you". We're both agreeing on the "wear a mask" part. So is there any tangible/functional difference in our opinions?

Remember, just a few short months ago the CDC and other medical professional were saying masks were useless for the general population. Now their recommendation is 180 degrees opposite. It's not like masks are something new. They've been around forever, and should have been studied to death already. The majority of the studies I have seen that promote mask use for the general population have all been done very very recently. I find that odd.

Wear your mask. I said that before. I am saying it again now. If you want to believe this will save you, I'll be more than happy for you to believe that. I don't believe it myself, but I wear a mask anyway. In consideration of others feelings mostly.

#296642 - 07/19/20 09:49 PM Re: Mask preferences [Re: haertig]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Quote:
You say, "Wear a mask, and it might help you." I say, "Wear a mask, but it probably won't help you".

Are Anti-Mask Masks Legal? – JONATHAN TURLEY Ya, they are and they won’t help you with anything other than complying with the law regulations.

My preference is a mask either cheap enough to throw away after one use, or easy to wash prior to reuse. In cooler weather I’ve used neck gaiters which are single layer and are machine wash/dry. In summer, I use a couple different masks which go on/off quickly. I wear when anti-social distancing isn’t possible (grocery shopping). Otherwise, distance is the rule.

#296643 - 07/19/20 10:54 PM Re: Mask preferences [Re: haertig]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: haertig
I say, wear a mask when required, but just wear what you like and what is comfortable. They do precious little to protect you or anyone else. Evidence glasses wearers - you can't hardly see through the fogged up glasses. If water vapor can escape that easily, do you really think its going to stop microscopic viruses? And of course, no need to worry about those other people with their noses sticking out above their masks. Or even worse, the ones wearing the masks over their chin only.

There's a risk in allowing perfect to be the enemy of the good. The fact that your glasses can fog up is true but largely irrelevant. Using the same methodogy you could also sneeze in your mask then look inside- everything in your mask would have been propelled outward. We don't have good evidence at all that the CoV-2 is airborne although it may be. We do have a lot of evidence that is spreads via respiratory droplets, the majority of which are much, much larger than the virus contained in those droplets. At any rate I guess this is fast becoming a religious subject not a scientific one. Follow the law I guess; doing something good is still good even if you do it under protest.

I wear contacts most of the time but I do wear glasses and sunglasses. I've found that I don't get much of any lens fogging while wearing the Mystery Ranch Street Masks. They have a metal insert that you bend over the bridge of your nose which allows them to easily seals this area well enough to prevent fogging. Anyone looking for a mask that works well with glasses might want to check them out. As usual, no affiliation beyond the fact that I live five or ten miles from the Mystery Ranch headquarters and factory where they're made.

#296644 - 07/20/20 12:48 PM Re: Mask preferences [Re: TeacherRO]
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
And, as always, where wast the control group in all these studies? Without a control group the statistics are correlation only and essentially worthless.

#296666 - 07/24/20 01:16 PM Re: Mask preferences [Re: haertig]
Famdoc Offline

Loc: PA
Haertig is correct about the number of deaths per million.
I apologize for not doing my homework.

#296677 - 07/26/20 04:28 PM Re: Mask preferences [Re: TeacherRO]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
Sorry it took so long.... Finally found the video. At 17:26 in the video, they reference the trail of mask use and transmission. Quantifiable results for transmission. IIRC it is only for surgical masks but it makes an excellent point. This was required viewing by my medical director and the training devision. Hope it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osoPNZxnayQ&feature=youtu.be

#296711 - 08/02/20 09:00 PM Re: Mask preferences [Re: TeacherRO]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
I prefer masks that can take a replaceable PM2.5 filters, and has a nose bridge strip. I've been adding a second nose bridge strip to cut down on eyeglass fogging, and gluing the exhalation valves shut to cut any potential outgoing virus transmission (probably overkill, but better safe than sorry). They're not medical grade, but they're a whole lot better then two layers of cotton/spandex blend used for neck gaiters. Ironically, the disposable medical masks are easier to breathe through.

I also use diluted dish soap as a lens wash to cut down on fogging.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#296715 - 08/03/20 12:32 PM Re: Mask preferences [Re: Mark_R]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Mark_R

I also use diluted dish soap as a lens wash to cut down on fogging.

Try some cloth medical tape along the top edge of the mask - tape it to your face. Works well for fogging if you don't take your mask off often.

#296731 - 08/06/20 06:05 PM Re: Mask preferences [Re: haertig]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
I agree that there is a piece of mask-wearing that is performative political correctness.
OTOH, properly fitted masks worn by properly trained and well-disciplined wearers saw me through 37 years of working with patients with TB, sars, H1N1, AIDS, Hep ABC, Pneumococcal pneumonia, and meningococcal meningitis without any of us contracting the diseases.

Properly fitted means having a good seal: if I have a good seal, my glasses do not fog.

And when I was really serious about safety, and working in a well-resourced organization, I wore a PAPR.

Masks can help, social distance can help, hand washing can help. None of them are guarantees.

#298044 - 01/12/21 12:23 AM Re: Mask preferences [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm finding more evidence that a buff or bandana is not useful to prevent spread

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.