The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#295913 - 05/02/20 09:08 PM Re: N95 Substitutes [Re: williamlatham]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
IIRC Georgia is a state where the Covid-19 death rate is hovering around 7%. It seems like a part of it that we still don't totally understand the disease. Some folks are developing life threatening blood clots and embolisms as a symptom of Covid-19. Also, early reports were that smokers were more vulnerable but later [at least anecdotal] evidence suggests that nicotine may suppress the disease. All in all this is a weird Coronavirus.

#295915 - 05/02/20 09:44 PM Re: N95 Substitutes [Re: williamlatham]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Atthis point in the game, I wouldn't put too much faith in any of the statistics, basically because of various criteria used to determine cause of death, variability in determining number of people afflicted.

Some day we will probably have better data, but right now, it is fair to say, covid-19 is pretty serious stuff.

#295917 - 05/02/20 10:49 PM Re: N95 Substitutes [Re: hikermor]
brandtb Offline
Addict

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania
I think there is a large pool of infected but unreported cases due to the number of people who got the virus but had no symptoms. This will take 12 - 18 months to sort out, and in the mean time the denominator is a false reading, leading to an inflated death rate.

#295919 - 05/03/20 12:58 AM Re: N95 Substitutes [Re: williamlatham]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Apropos of nothing I watched a science program last night that explained that wool fiber is somehow extremely "sticky" when used as a mask. The technical stuff kind of went over my head but the texture of the fibres seems to capture a vast amount of stuff. I didn't quite figure out if it's up to N95 level, better, or somewhat worse- but it did seem a lot better than the cheap cotton stuff us plebes are expected to use.

#295943 - 05/03/20 04:17 PM Re: N95 Substitutes [Re: williamlatham]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

IMHO, it would be a mistake to take stats being provided, especially by government. and those with vested interests, at face value.

There are all sorts of very strong financial and other incentives to increase the reported COVID-19 hospital admissions and deaths. Every indication is that they are overinflated, perhaps grossly so. Doctors I know and trust in NYC, for example, have told me that they have their marching orders.

Here's one example that just was published: https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/me...-deaths-n387013

Then you have the denominator issue. More and more data is coming out that is increasing the size of the denominator, suggesting a huge number of asymptomatic infections or milder cases that were previously not diagnosed.

Just stuff to keep in mind when reviewing reports.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#295946 - 05/03/20 11:08 PM Re: N95 Substitutes [Re: Doug_Ritter]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
IMHO, it would be a mistake to take stats being provided, especially by government. and those with vested interests, at face value.

There are all sorts of very strong financial and other incentives to increase the reported COVID-19 hospital admissions and deaths. Every indication is that they are overinflated, perhaps grossly so. Doctors I know and trust in NYC, for example, have told me that they have their marching orders.

Here's one example that just was published: https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/me...-deaths-n387013

Aha, just like a horror movie , the funeral director knows the secret truth smile

#295949 - 05/04/20 02:10 AM Re: N95 Substitutes [Re: williamlatham]
Famdoc Offline

Loc: PA
That some funeral directors are being giving credence as authorities as to whether COVID was the cause of death for a particular individual is interesting.
Funeral directors do not have access to the medical record, do not generally talk to the physician or other person certifying the cause of death, and have no training in establishing nor authority to certify the cause of death in the bodies for which they assume care.

#295950 - 05/04/20 02:16 AM Re: N95 Substitutes [Re: williamlatham]
Famdoc Offline

Loc: PA
If you can find them (there are currently some on Ebay) the reusable elastomeric respirator, made by 3M or Honeywell/North with the two side filters work very well, with the appropriate filters in place. These are much more expensive on a per item basis, but last years.
I've seen one news item that the Univ. of Maryland Medical Center has been utilizing these instead of the surgical and N95 fabric masks

#295956 - 05/04/20 04:21 PM Re: N95 Substitutes [Re: williamlatham]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Interesting bit on WHY we're wearing masks. Apparently, controlling exhaled contagions is easier then inhaled ones.

IRT the n95 substitutes, I'm using pm 2.5 pollution masks with replaceable filters. My reasoning, which may be faulty, is the masks are designed to filter out 2.5 micron particles, so they should be effective against the larger 5-10 micron droplets transmitting COVID 19. Also, they're more comfortable than the fold flat filters I stocked in the emergency kit.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi...PT659hn2Nbw0dcU

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#296565 - 07/06/20 10:50 PM Re: N95 Substitutes [Re: Mark_R]
GoatMan Offline

Anyone using a purchased cloth face covering that accepts the PM 2.5 filters that they like and are still available somewhere? Decent quality that is washable is preferred. Has the pocket inside for the 2.5 inserts.

Would like this option for typical grocery shopping over the surgical masks I'm currently using. A good step between a surgical mask and an N95. The PM 95 seem to stink to too many people and aren't much better than the PM 2.5.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 182 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.