Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#296671 - 07/25/20 06:59 PM Re: I'm Moving Out of Hell [Re: LesSnyder]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Old geezer desert rat here. I spent some time in Florida some years ago and it is a rather interesting place. Flat with no mountains but world class cave diving and other scuba related activities.

On a short trip through the Okefenokee swamp, learning to recognize alligators, I realized that this country was the polar opposite of Arizona, where dry land was abundant and water was scarce. Florida is precisely opposite....

Cave diving is more challenging and taxing than nearly any mountaineering. The state has Everglades National Park an lots of archaeology. What more could one want?

#296674 - 07/26/20 12:42 AM Re: I'm Moving Out of Hell [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
A local weatherman was asked.....if you had to deal with the WORST 'storm/catastrophe' mother nature was going to throw at you.... what would you choose? He replied, "A hurricane. No matter how large or strong..... you gets DAYS advanced notice."

#296676 - 07/26/20 02:25 AM Re: I'm Moving Out of Hell [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Yeah, I can see that the days of notice would be notice. With a tornado it appears (fairly suddenly), moves erratically and vanishes into the ether. Still, I no desire to experience either one.

#296784 - 08/14/20 01:01 AM Re: I'm Moving Out of Hell [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
We had all of the floorings (except for the entrance, bathrooms, and utility) replaced. Unless something drastic happens, we are staying in Florida. Mom does not want to deal with moving, regardless of the location. At least we're 92' above sea level and nearly a hundred miles from the east coast.

Mom got rid of a lot of books, and she still has too many. She's considering what else to unload. There are things other than books which she wishes to donate. I also need to go through my closet to make room for supplies.

Mom wants to make other changes to the house, such as painting. Eek!

Jeanette Isabelle

#296785 - 08/14/20 01:12 AM Re: I'm Moving Out of Hell [Re: Acropolis50]
Carpal Tunnel

I, too, am a city person, and the one thing I miss most is streetlights.

Originally Posted By: Acropolis50
To me , Florida is God’s waiting room! Hot, flat , buggy, filled with objectionable critters and bigoted, slow moving rednecks.

We do have a few red necks in Florida, but not that many.

Jeanette Isabelle

#296786 - 08/14/20 01:19 AM Re: I'm Moving Out of Hell [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Yikes! Less than 100' in elevation and a hundred miles from the sea!? That sounds scary to me. I'll stick to my place in Montana at 5,000 feet (although to be fair fire season is in full swing).

#296787 - 08/14/20 02:09 AM Re: I'm Moving Out of Hell [Re: Phaedrus]
Carpal Tunnel

If Florida is underwater, I'll let you know I'm still alive. That is if I can.

Jeanette Isabelle

#296788 - 08/14/20 02:41 AM Re: I'm Moving Out of Hell [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Interesting relationship to sea level....I am about a mile from the beach, and 200.5 feet above sea level. Going inland, the terrain is still higher. I am not too concerned with tsunamis.

#296789 - 08/14/20 02:48 AM Re: I'm Moving Out of Hell [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

You have more of a problem ending up in sea than the sea coming to you.

Jeanette Isabelle

#296792 - 08/14/20 03:48 AM Re: I'm Moving Out of Hell [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
I, too, am a city person...

I would rather brave non-stop sharknados than live in a city. With all the rioting, looting and destruction going on these days I can't imagine anyone wanting to live there. Much more dangerous, volatile and unpredictable than anything mother nature could throw at you.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.