Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 42 of 57 < 1 2 ... 40 41 42 43 44 ... 56 57 >
Topic Options
#299880 - 09/03/21 12:24 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: paulr]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: paulr
Cyalumes were clever 30 years ago but LED lighting has made them obsolete since then.

I wanted light sticks because they are EMP-proof.

Originally Posted By: paulr
I would have said, equip yourself with a small LED headlamp.

Everybody in the forum has been telling me to get a headlamp. I finally did, and it's still taking up valuable space in my medical kit, going unused except when I test the batteries.

Are you convinced yet that I don't need it, or do you need me to hang on to it even longer?

Jeanette Isabelle

#299881 - 09/03/21 02:41 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
I've got several headlamps and find them very useful but not a "cure all" for lighting needs. If you can have only one light, get a good hand held flashlight. However, like most of us, you can and do have several lighting options.

A headlamp is invaluable and nothing else works better when you need both your hands to do something and you need light too. In a medical emergency having enough light to see what you are doing is very important while you are using both hands to work on the issue and nothing beats a headlamp.

Also, when I have had to "fix" or repair something and I needed better light to see what I am trying to do (using both hands) again a headlamp was/is the best answer. Heck, I put a head lamp on every night when our little dog and I go out for the last time for her 'personal affairs'. The light lets me see what the Boo dog is up to and I'm then able to "recover" any bio-deposits that may have resulted. I really appreciate the light then!

#299883 - 09/03/21 04:07 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: pforeman]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: pforeman
If you can have only one light, get a good hand held flashlight. However, like most of us, you can and do have several lighting options.

I have six MAG-LITE flashlights.

Originally Posted By: pforeman
A headlamp is invaluable and nothing else works better when you need both your hands to do something and you need light too. In a medical emergency having enough light to see what you are doing is very important while you are using both hands to work on the issue and nothing beats a headlamp.

That is what everyone in this forum has said. For that reason, I bought one. In my thirty-five years, I never needed to treat myself or anyone else in the dark. Nevertheless, the headlamp is still there, turned on every once in a while to see if it still works.

Jeanette Isabelle

#299884 - 09/03/21 04:31 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
In my thirty-five years, I never needed to treat myself or anyone else in the dark.

But still you buy Cyalumes in case on EMP because EMP will wipe out electricity.
So you expect all accidents to happen at daylight in a future scenario when there is no electricity because of EMP? Even in daylight there is darkness inside buildings if lamps donīt function,

#299885 - 09/03/21 04:52 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Herman30]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Herman30
But still you buy Cyalumes in case on EMP because EMP will wipe out electricity.

I have information on an EMP.

Originally Posted By: Herman30
So you expect all accidents to happen at daylight in a future scenario when there is no electricity because of EMP? Even in daylight there is darkness inside buildings if lamps donīt function,

A headlamp won't work after an EMP unless it's in a protective container at the time of the event. If I were to keep the headlamp safe in a protective container, it wouldn't be in the medical bag.

Jeanette Isabelle

#299886 - 09/03/21 05:07 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Herman30]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
Not sure you'll need a flashlight if an EMP destroys the one you are carrying.

#299887 - 09/03/21 05:29 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Ren]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Ren
Not sure you'll need a flashlight if an EMP destroys the one you are carrying.

Two of my flashlights and spare batteries are in an EMP-proof container.

Jeanette Isabelle

#299888 - 09/03/21 06:49 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
paulr Offline
Addict

I'm skeptical EMP can damage an LED flashlight unless it's also strong enough to also take out humans where it reaches. I'm even more dubious that it can damage an incandescent flashlight. Maybe you can get an old small incandescent with an LED conversion for runtime, but keep the old filament bulb around just in case. The old Tekna Spash-lite might be nice for that.

#299890 - 09/03/21 07:01 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: paulr]
Carpal Tunnel

My headlamp and most of my flashlights don't have a replaceable bulb. I'm not sure what can and cannot be damaged. Nevertheless, I'm taking precautions by storing two flashlights in an EMP-proof container.

Regardless, you gave me a good idea. I need to get spare bulbs for two of my flashlights and put them in an EMP-proof container.

Jeanette Isabelle

#299891 - 09/03/21 07:36 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
An EMP would damage semiconductors (e. g.: LEDs, transistors, ICs). Incandescent bulbs are not vulnerable. My Maglites take both LED inserts and incandescent bulbs. Maybe yourīs do too.

Page 42 of 57 < 1 2 ... 40 41 42 43 44 ... 56 57 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.