Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#296413 - 06/18/20 02:32 AM Re: Water Purification [Re: GoatMan]
dougwalkabout Online   confused
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Trending back to the OP, though, the focus is on bug-in as opposed to super portable outdoor use.

For home use, I would start to look at the Berkey line of filters. Anybody used one?

#296415 - 06/18/20 06:31 PM Re: Water Purification [Re: dougwalkabout]
GoatMan Offline

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO

...A sawyer filter is small, easy to use and cheap -- around $25

Amen. That is what I use.

The original post was more a general question. Ready.gov's page is geared more for staying at home, but covers both bugging in and bugging out preparation.

I have never used a Berkey filter. Though for home water purification, I plan to rely on inline filters in multiple Reliance Aqua-Tainers I have. That and I keep fresh bleach on hand and drink mixes to offset the flavor.

#296416 - 06/18/20 10:09 PM Re: Water Purification [Re: GoatMan]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
In 1993, I was fortunate enough to be invited on a cave exploration and mapping expedition in Guizhou province, China. Our food and beverages were prepared by local cooks. I have no idea what the water sources were - perhaps the rice paddies?

Twelve of us were there for thirty days. A certified EMT at the time, I was prepared to handle lots of diarrhea cases. We had no occurrences. AFAIK, our water was treated only by boiling.

Boiling might or might not be all that convenient, but it is effective.

#296417 - 06/18/20 11:42 PM Re: Water Purification [Re: GoatMan]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
We have a Berkey....WE LOVE IT!!!!! 4.5 gallon model. Absolutely fantastic peace of mind as well.

It is ASTOUNDING what that bugger can filter out!

#296418 - 06/19/20 02:58 AM Re: Water Purification [Re: dougwalkabout]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Trending back to the OP, though, the focus is on bug-in as opposed to super portable outdoor use.

For home use, I would start to look at the Berkey line of filters. Anybody used one?

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/big-berkey-water-filter-system/
After 50 hours of research and independent lab testing of the Berkey’s claims, our test results—and those of another lab we spoke with, and a third whose results are public—were not entirely consistent, which we feel further illustrates the importance of certification to the firm NSF/ANSI standard: It lets people make buying decisions based on a real, dependable apples-to-apples comparison of performance. In addition, because the Berkey system is larger, more expensive, and harder to use than many water filtration options—which also have the benefit of independent NSF/ANSI certification—we wouldn’t recommend it to most people looking for a water filtration solution.

#296421 - 06/19/20 03:47 PM Re: Water Purification [Re: GoatMan]
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
One system that most probably have never heard of is a reverse osmosis system that is made for aquarium use. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043FYJ8M/?tag=aquariumadviser4-20

It runs off of household water pressure rather than a high pressure system. Can generate 50 to 100 gallons per day of RO water. I used to have one when I kept marine reef aquariums. Yes it does require water pressure which may or may not be available. Something to think about though.

#296427 - 06/19/20 07:46 PM Re: Water Purification [Re: williamlatham]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
This is all very fine, but attention is focused on germs and illness they can cause. Especially in a disruptive event, you may well have to deal with other contaminants - petroleum products, chemicals, etc. from various sources, and all that.

I like to stash water beforehand....

#296428 - 06/19/20 08:16 PM Re: Water Purification [Re: GoatMan]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Yeah, if we're talking preparation for the home there's little reason not to keep at least a bit of water on hand. It's so cheap as to be nearly free but priceless when you need need it. It may be impractical for most folks to keep hundreds of gallons but even 20-30 gallons will fit in even a small apartment and could make a big difference during a disaster.

#296448 - 06/22/20 11:47 PM Re: Water Purification [Re: Phaedrus]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
Yeah, if we're talking preparation for the home there's little reason not to keep at least a bit of water on hand. It's so cheap as to be nearly free but priceless when you need need it. It may be impractical for most folks to keep hundreds of gallons but even 20-30 gallons will fit in even a small apartment and could make a big difference during a disaster.

Yup
The math checks out wink
4 cases of 6 gallons stacked in corner,
like an extra person in the room (or hiding in a closet)

1 rooms 24 gallons
2 rooms 48 gallons
3 rooms 72 gallons

This is very conservative way to add weight to apartments
given the internet wisdom
"Aquariums up to 55 gallons can be placed almost anywhere without much worry at all."

#296453 - 06/23/20 01:15 AM Re: Water Purification [Re: GoatMan]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Nice! That would be a pretty good reserve.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.