Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#296356 - 06/10/20 02:02 AM Water Purification
GoatMan Offline

I was reading on Ready.gov recently and read something that caught me by surprise. On the page that talks about water storage and purification, it discusses boiling, chlorination and distillation. The last paragraph under Chlorination, it states:

Quote:
"Other chemicals, such as iodine or water treatment products sold in camping or surplus stores that do not contain 5.25 or 6.0 percent sodium hypochlorite as the only active ingredient are not recommended and should not be used."

Products like Katadyn Micropur MP1 contains:
Sodium Chlorite 6.4%
Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate 1.0%

Potable Aqua contains:
Tetraglycine Hydroperiodide 6.68%

Aquamira contains:
Chlorine Dioxide 2.0%
Phosphoric Acid Activator 5.0%

** What do you all think of Ready.gov's statement as it pertains to these products?

#296357 - 06/10/20 02:13 AM Re: Water Purification [Re: GoatMan]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
As far as I am concerned, boiling is preferable. My backup is a filter.

#296359 - 06/10/20 03:17 AM Re: Water Purification [Re: GoatMan]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I have always understood iodine and chlorine dioxide water disinfection to be quite effective, when used properly.

And "when used properly" may be the key issue: when making recommendations for a mass population, you basically aim for the greatest good with the least harm. Let's face it, some people don't sweat the details in normal times, and in crisis that won't change for the better.

Iodine used improperly can be ineffective. It can also be poisonous. Anything in tablet form presents a poisoning hazard to children. You get the picture.

Edited by dougwalkabout (06/10/20 03:18 AM)

#296360 - 06/10/20 03:30 AM Re: Water Purification [Re: dougwalkabout]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I assume that when you have found a treatment to be effective, it means that you, or your party, did not suffer any ill effects.

If that is the case , I would have to state that no treatment works just fine, because I have drunk untreated water for many years, with no discernible ill effect. I have been lucky, and a lot of my drinking was in the early days, with much less traffic in the back country, and I was drinking from isolated springs and the upper reaches of watersheds.

I have heard of a study which concluded that most cases of giardia, etc. were the result of poor peersonal hygiene, rather than contaminated water.

Older and wiser (?) now, I am more cautious....

#296361 - 06/10/20 05:43 AM Re: Water Purification [Re: GoatMan]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

It seems to me we are talking about different things. The link given by the OP refers to stay-at-home situations, not wilderness travel in pristine watersheds.

I agree that boiling is preferable when an energy source is readily available.

I recall that iodine tablets were particularly unpleasant, but I used them for lowland situations where boiling was impractical and cattle had access to the rivers. As soon as reliable filters became available, I was happy to dispense with iodine altogether, and have no desire to look back.

I agree with the OP that is surprising that the link provided dismisses everything except household bleach. Other forms of chlorine (tablets, chlorine dioxide) seem to be acceptable for international travellers, as per this link:
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2020/preparing-international-travelers/water-disinfection

#296363 - 06/10/20 11:19 AM Re: Water Purification [Re: GoatMan]
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
I am going to agree with dougwlkabout. This is dumbing it down for the masses. The CDC guidelines for wilderness purification:

https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/travel/backcountry_water_treatment.html

are good enough for the backcountry and frontcountry alike. I even disagree with their 1 min boil times when all you need to do is get it above 140F, but whatever. As for chemical contaminants in the frontcountry, none of these are effective anyway.

2 filters, ability to boil, jug of bleach, tincture of iodine, and chlorine dioxide tablets, I think I have it covered after the stored water runs out.

#296365 - 06/10/20 12:09 PM Re: Water Purification [Re: GoatMan]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Good link. It's interesting to see how the recommendations keep evolving.

#296366 - 06/10/20 03:58 PM Re: Water Purification [Re: GoatMan]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
Appears there is a typo.

The page is taken from

https://www.amazon.com/Are-You-Ready-Depth-Preparedness/dp/1510750770

Which reads

"Other chemicals, such as iodine or water treatment products sold in camping or surplus stores that do not contain 5.25 to 6.0 percent sodium hypochlorite as the only active ingredient are not recommended and should not be used."

#296408 - 06/17/20 06:10 PM Re: Water Purification [Re: Ren]
GoatMan Offline

Your quoted text from Amazon or the book is word for word what is on Ready.gov.

In general, a water filter is my go to if I plan on needing additional water on an outing. Purification tablets are my backup while on the trail or what is carried in an emergency when no additional water is planned as needed. By planning ahead, you never need them, but it is good to have them available.

I never boil. Takes too long and utilizes resources I plan for use elsewhere. Filters are instant, weigh less than a stove or extra fuel. And when I take a stove, I only use it for cooking. Yea, you can use an alcohol stove, they have their place. But why waste the fuel. Modern filters are small and don't have the bulk & weight issues old ones did.

#296412 - 06/17/20 10:57 PM Re: Water Purification [Re: GoatMan]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: GoatMan

In general, a water filter is my go to if I plan on needing additional water on an outing. Purification tablets are my backup while on the trail or what is carried in an emergency when no additional water is planned as needed. By planning ahead, you never need them, but it is good to have them available.

....Modern filters are small and don't have the bulk & weight issues old ones did.

Agreed. A sawyer filter is small, easy to use and cheap -- around $25

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.