Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#295170 - 03/14/20 11:49 AM Re: Requesting Recommendations [Re: chaosmagnet]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Moving forward, please do not contribute any commentary to this thread unless you are discussing other sites that may suit Jeanette's needs, clarifying those needs, or responding in a useful manner to those recommendations.

Discussing the causes of a collapse is definitely outside the scope of this thread and in general to be discouraged, as it’s pretty darn close to breaking the rules in general.

chaosmagnet

Edited by chaosmagnet (03/14/20 11:49 AM)

#295171 - 03/14/20 12:21 PM Re: Requesting Recommendations [Re: quick_joey_small]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
How would people stop using dollars make the dollar worthless?

Due to the nature of this discussion, we have to continue it in private.

Jeanette Isabelle

#295172 - 03/14/20 12:51 PM Re: Requesting Recommendations [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I know less about the native food plant resources of Florida without doing some research, but I am sure there is more than turkeys and trees...

Due to the minerals in the soil, Florida is an ideal place for raising grass-fed beef. Because the cows are getting everything they need, the ranchers do not need to supplement their diets. But, because of all the new home construction, land to raise cattle is shrinking.

Even is we were somehow able to reclaim the land, how are we to process the beef? I don't know of any place nearby that does that.

This is outside my area of knowledge, but Florida is an excellent place for winter vegetables.

Jeanette Isabelle

#295173 - 03/14/20 01:43 PM Re: Requesting Recommendations [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
If push comes to shove, one would "process" the beef by themselves. eat the tasty bits and remove them from the less desirable items, like intestines.

I did a search on "wild plant foods Florida" - lots of references. Here's a starter list:

Van Atta, M., Living of the Land, B & B Reproductions, Inc, 1973.
Deuerling, R.J., Lantz, P.S., Florida's Incredible Wild Edibles, Florida Native Plant Society, 1993.
Rawlings, M. K. , Cross Creek Cookery,
Bowers, P. G., I Eat Weeds, Buttercup Press, 1996.
Bell, R. and Taylor, B.J. Florida Wildflowers and Roadside Plants, Laurel Hill Press, 1982
Colvin et. al. , Weeds of Southern Turfgrasses, University of Georgia Cooperative Extension Serv.
Nelson Gil, The Trees of Florida, Pineapple Press Inc. Sarasota Fl., 1994, photo #46, pg. 172.

Depending upon wild native foods is not easy.Even well established hunter/gatherer groups throughout the world experienced tough times and hardships, but there is food out there for the gathering, and it can make a difference.

Even dandelions provide edible bits...

Edited by hikermor (03/14/20 01:44 PM)

#295176 - 03/14/20 04:08 PM Re: Requesting Recommendations [Re: hikermor]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Similarly, in the desert Southwest, you have pinyon pine nuts, cactus fruit, and many other leafy green veggies, all certified organic, non-GMO, Fair Traded, etc.

I "winter" in Why AZ, a very small town on the edge of a very large native nation. A native woman said "You look at the desert and see a hostile and barren place and I see Wal-mart."

Nomad.

#295185 - 03/14/20 11:01 PM Re: Requesting Recommendations [Re: Nomad]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Exactly!! That native nation has occupied that turf long enough to know it very well and use all its resources correctly.

#295327 - 03/21/20 12:21 AM Re: Requesting Recommendations [Re: Phaedrus]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
Survivalistboards is also pretty good for a fringe/survivalist place.

Thank you for this recommendation. My first impression wasn't all that positive. However, I'm glad I looked into it anyway. There is a section that addresses the correlation between prepping and religion. And while I don't have a clear direction at this time, the fact that others in the same boat and I are talking about it is a good thing.

Jeanette Isabelle

#295328 - 03/21/20 12:41 AM Re: Requesting Recommendations [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Glad it was helpful, Jeanette_Isabelle. There's some really nice folks over there, to be honest. Like anywhere there's a few nuts but lots of helpful people as well.

#296358 - 06/10/20 02:13 AM Re: Requesting Recommendations [Re: Phaedrus]
GoatMan Offline

I've been reading content on The Prepared lately.

I find their input fairly level headed. Granted some of it goes beyond what I think is necessary on the preparedness scale, but it gives you things to consider.

A lot of good reading and product evaluations from a variety of experienced individuals in relative fields.

#299377 - 07/18/21 11:13 PM Re: Requesting Recommendations [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
Survivalistboards is also pretty good for a fringe/survivalist place.

Thank you for this recommendation. My first impression wasn't all that positive. However, I'm glad I looked into it anyway. There is a section that addresses the correlation between prepping and religion. And while I don't have a clear direction at this time, the fact that others in the same boat and I are talking about it is a good thing.

That was great while it lasted. One of the moderators, for whatever reason, could not accept that I made a mistake with some wording.

I learned what I needed to. Therefore, I don't need any additional recommendations.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.