The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#296291 - 06/03/20 05:41 PM Recent and Ongoing Survival Incidents
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
We are experiencing a pandemic from a new and poorly understood virus, civil unrest in urban areas, the usual seasonal tornadoes, and right at my doorstep, the largest fire within Channel Islands national Park (900+acres at latest report) in recorded history, and June isn't even a week old!

Have any of these events disrupted your routines, caused you to activate some of your survival plans, or other wide altered your life. After all, these kinds of events are what we plan for and discuss on this forum.

Personally, I have no incidents to report, but staying alert....

#296292 - 06/03/20 06:10 PM Re: Recent and Ongoing Survival Incidents [Re: hikermor]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
No. I'm prepping for when this gets ugly. So far, all we've had is a dress rehearsal.

Jeanette Isabelle

#296293 - 06/03/20 06:30 PM Re: Recent and Ongoing Survival Incidents [Re: hikermor]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Around here we only had the pandemic. We were ordered to work at home instead of going to the office. We expect that to last at least until end of september. Not commuting actually offered some luxury. I have more leisure time and can do chores like running the washing machine during office hours.
I made an inventory for my food reserves. It revealed that it could last about three times as long as I thought.
I also went more frequently for shopping groceries, mainly to have a reason to ride my motorcycle. It may be a sign of addiction but least I had more fresh fruit and vegetables.

#296294 - 06/03/20 06:33 PM Re: Recent and Ongoing Survival Incidents [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
The pandemic has resulted in a big alteration. We've been on remote work since March 15th or so and public life has been drastically altered. We will be returning to our physical work location on a limited basis and combining it with telework until things are back to...well, a new kind of normal.

Beyond that things are status quo. No demonstrations or riots here but I live in a small town in Montana (maybe 50,000 with the school) and we're not a racially diverse state for the most part (mostly white and some native tribes).

#296295 - 06/03/20 07:12 PM Re: Recent and Ongoing Survival Incidents [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
My employer enacted mandatory work from home at the beginning of the pandemic and forbade all work related travel. I went from flying every week to sleeping in my own bed every night. It's been weird but nice.

We had a couple weeks where specific items (like toilet paper) were hard to get. Now, everything we might normally get is easily available. Some specific brands are not to be seen, and meat prices are very high.

The three young Magnets moved to distance learning, which was more than a bit of a challenge for the two who were away at school and had to come home. I had to stand up a wireless network that nobody else in my home know about so that I could get my work done.

With regard to the civil disturbances, one of them was close enough to us that I had one night without any sleep.

#296296 - 06/03/20 07:15 PM Re: Recent and Ongoing Survival Incidents [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Yeah, beef prices here are off the charts but only beef, other meats have seen only modest increases. Ribeyes are $16/lb at Costco right now! shocked Even sirloin is $12/lb.

#296300 - 06/04/20 12:18 AM Re: Recent and Ongoing Survival Incidents [Re: hikermor]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
The usual pandemic stuff. Then there have been the increasing number of protests. For the most part the protests are just that.... peaceful gatherings to PROTEST. The only 'issue' at one was that they hadn't planned for a day in the heat and overheated. THAT was it.

Word came down that there MIGHT be a riot at a local plaza this Sat. A community board had a post of bring bats, rocks etc. I'm taking it with a grain of salt but definitely avoiding that area Sat.

#296301 - 06/04/20 09:48 AM Re: Recent and Ongoing Survival Incidents [Re: hikermor]
Janysboy Offline
Journeyman

I'm employed at a Veterans Hospital, so I follow my normal routine. We've had a few riots here in St. Louis, but overall it's been fairly peaceful. I use Google maps routinely to travel. Last Monday, I was driving to a local WalMart and turned a corner and found barricades a couple of blocks down, with protestors with signs, an a couple if fist fights underway. I pulled a u turn and found another way to the store. Do far that's it for me.

#296310 - 06/04/20 09:26 PM Re: Recent and Ongoing Survival Incidents [Re: hikermor]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I am not worried about the pandemic. If I get sick and die, oh well, I get sick and die. Nothing I can do to prevent that beyond what I'm already doing. It is difficult to fight an invisible enemy.

I will not go anywhere near these redacted looters, rioters and protesters though. I will stay far, far away. There is zero reason to go there and put yourself in danger. If they try to breach my door, I will defend my family to the gravest extreme. That doesn't require any new or updated preps. redacted

Edited by chaosmagnet (06/04/20 09:41 PM)
Edit Reason: too political

#296353 - 06/09/20 09:52 PM Re: Recent and Ongoing Survival Incidents [Re: hikermor]
DaveL Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Colorado Springs,CO
Dittos haertig

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.