The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#296154 - 05/18/20 11:25 PM Survival Cards
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Are survival cards, such as the following, any good? The following appears to have a better design than some of the others I have seen, though there may be better.

https://www.ultimatesurvival.us/collections/tiny-survival-gear-1/products/tiny-survival-card

This company also has what seems like an interesting product, a tiny knife sharpener. Does anyone know if it is any good?

https://www.ultimatesurvival.us/collecti...-fits-in-wallet

Jeanette Isabelle

#296155 - 05/19/20 12:16 AM Re: Survival Cards [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I would not waste money on either product

#296156 - 05/19/20 02:11 AM Re: Survival Cards [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Save your hard earned money. Unless your purchase could be considered pure entertainment. I'll have to admit that I've done that sort of thing.

#296157 - 05/19/20 04:04 AM Re: Survival Cards [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Mea culpa- I have not those but a couple of similar cards purchased many years ago. Even then I just thought they were neat gadgets more than serious survival tools. Some of the components are usable but realistically there's no reason to choose them over the "real" version. For example you could catch a fish on one of the supplied fish hooks BUT...you could buy a hundred high quality Japanese hooks that are razor sharp for the same money. That's pretty much every tool on the card. Sure, there's the cool factor of it fitting in your wallet but since most of the card is fluff you could easily tape some hooks to an old credit card be further ahead.

The one thing that might be handy is the card sharpener. Certainly having a flat diamond sharpener that fits in your wallet could genuinely be handy. smile

#296159 - 05/19/20 12:34 PM Re: Survival Cards [Re: Phaedrus]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
The one thing that might be handy is the card sharpener. Certainly having a flat diamond sharpener that fits in your wallet could genuinely be handy. smile

Or a survival tin.

https://www.ultimatesurvival.us/collecti...n-standard-size

The survival card did look promising until I considered how I would use it. However, I wanted a second opinion. So far, we have a unanimous consensus.

The tiny sharpener appears to be a good item for a small survival kit. For those who say "no," could you give us your reason why?

I'm on the fence regarding the Pocket 30, which I think is better than the Pocket 45.

https://www.ultimatesurvival.us/collecti...ic-survival-kit

While building a compass would make for a great school science project, I rather use the button compass from the PSP than assemble one in the field. However, since the sticker is waterproof, I imagine it would be better utilized as a waterproof patch.

On the plus side, it has water purification tablets and two Tinder Quick. And, just like the PSP, the kit uses multi-purpose items.

Jeanette Isabelle

#296160 - 05/19/20 01:13 PM Re: Survival Cards [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Obviously, the proper course of action is for one of us to step up to the plate, buy some of these products, evaluate, and report back to the forum.

You want to pay five bucks for an empty altoids tin? Be my guest.

Phaedrus has a good point about the card sharpener. The only thing is that the grits are rather fine - great for finishing, but not very useful in bringing a dull edge to a workable state. For that, grab a handy, suitable rock.

I note that they mention two double "finishing" hooks. What in the world is a "finishing hook"? Is this a typo for fishing hook? Just an example of the careful thought which has gone into the production of this mess.....

#296161 - 05/19/20 03:11 PM Re: Survival Cards [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

The tin and kit, seems expensive for what it is. Contents don't look that great either.

Nothing like actually using the stuff and figuring out what works for you. I like to miniaturise my things to reduce bulk and weight. However, when it goes too far, it just becomes barely useable. These tin size survival kits; I'm happy to carry a little more and have far more useful things.

#296162 - 05/19/20 03:16 PM Re: Survival Cards [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
The survival card is an item you should skip. The fishing hooks cannot be sharp and if they are not too thick the twist and release your fish. The needles are too bulky for most uses. The harpoons have too small barbs and are probably not stable enough for any decently sized animal. I would prefer a decent knife, even a folder. As far as fishing hooks are corncerned I admit that I am a snob. For me itīs Gamakatsu all the way.
The sharpeners seem to be decent but small. I do not go under 4" and that is small for some knives. I use a Fallkniven DC4 and I am happy with it.

#296163 - 05/19/20 03:26 PM Re: Survival Cards [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Survival cards are very useful, indeed. I use a standard pack of Bicycle cards, but remove the jokers to save weight.

When lost, I immediately find a a flat space and lay out a spread of Solitaire. This short circuits the fight-or-flight catecholamine storm described in DR's excellent post above.

And soon enough, a stranger will walk up and tell me to play the red three on the black four. Then I follow the stranger to safety.

No matter how remote the site, there is something about a Solitaire game that attracts kibitzers.

#296166 - 05/19/20 05:12 PM Re: Survival Cards [Re: Tjin]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Tjin
Nothing like actually using the stuff and figuring out what works for you.

Everyone keeps telling me to build a bug-out bag myself. I did. My DIY kit was more than $200 down the drain. I learned a hard lesson. I'm not going there again.

I later bought the Seventy2, money well-spent. The only thing I can say against it is that it is incomplete. Adding the PSP fills in several gaps though not all. It's because of the remaining gaps that I'm searching for additional lightweight solutions.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.