Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#296240 - 05/27/20 03:38 AM Re: Gear Review: The Seventy2 [Re: dougwalkabout]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
So relax and tell us how you have chosen to fill in the gaps. smile

So far, the one modification I've made includes the contents of the PSP, without the orange pouch, and put them in one of the two wing pockets. All outside pockets are zipped and watertight.

I'm expecting a delivery from Tiny Survival tomorrow. I'll probably put what I decide to include in the other wing pocket.

I'll either include the entire following kit or parts of it.

https://gopreparedsurvival.com/products/individual-basic-packet-ibp

I'm also considering Spartan Fire, a keychain flashlight (in addition to the flashlight the Seventy2 already has), and a waterproof 5" x 7" notebook.

https://gopreparedsurvival.com/products/spartan-fire-multi-use-edc-tinder

Jeanette Isabelle

#296241 - 05/27/20 04:00 AM Re: Gear Review: The Seventy2 [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
In this subforum? I'll have to look and find it. At first blush I can't see how it's a waste though. It seems that you could simply buy a less tactical looking bag/pack for it and transfer the content. You might even be able to eBay the bag off to recoup the cash or save the bag for another project.

#296243 - 05/27/20 04:34 AM Re: Gear Review: The Seventy2 [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
And since you're upgrading your fire-making capabilities, I hope you're adding things like this?
- a stainless steel bowl or pot that you can boil water in, heat food in, heat wash water in, sterilize items
- spare bad-weather clothing, including rain protection and insulation for cool temperatures (inner layers punch well above their weight; and a light fleece blanket has infinite uses)

#296244 - 05/27/20 11:38 AM Re: Gear Review: The Seventy2 [Re: Phaedrus]
Carpal Tunnel

It's not just the bag. Except for my EDC bag, which I have built and rebuilt over the years, I have not been very successful at building something from scratch.

Jeanette Isabelle

#296245 - 05/27/20 12:04 PM Re: Gear Review: The Seventy2 [Re: dougwalkabout]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
And since you're upgrading your fire-making capabilities, I hope you're adding things like this?
- a stainless steel bowl or pot that you can boil water in, heat food in, heat wash water in, sterilize items

I was looking at something like this.

https://www.bestglide.com/adventurer-survival-kit-box.html

I also considered a space saver cub for the water bottle. However, that would be a visible modification. If hikermor is correct, people will leave me alone if all they see is an unmodified Seventy2.

Jeanette Isabelle

Edited by Jeanette_Isabelle (05/27/20 03:59 PM)

#296246 - 05/27/20 01:50 PM Re: Gear Review: The Seventy2 [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal

Solve the metal cup issue with this

https://www.rei.com/product/165307/gsi-outdoors-bugaboo-20-fl-oz-bottle-cup:

The 48 oz nalgene canteen fit into these and the whole rig goes into the outside pocket, invisible when zipped. Many variants are available from numerous sources, including a less expensive 8 oz version.

#296247 - 05/27/20 02:20 PM Re: Gear Review: The Seventy2 [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Yes, those canteen cups take up almost no space.

Though I prefer stainless steel (mug, pot, bowl) since the rim cools quickly and you can drink from them directly. It doesn't need to be from an outdoor retailer either -- I have sometimes taken a small, inexpensive kitchen mixing bowl in a daypack because my spare clothing conforms around it perfectly.

Edit: It's important to choose something that's safe for contact with food. Even an uncoated tin can from coffee is useful.

Edited by dougwalkabout (05/27/20 02:27 PM)

#296248 - 05/27/20 03:05 PM Re: Gear Review: The Seventy2 [Re: dougwalkabout]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The GSI cup, 8 oz, is stainless steel.

Patronizing non outdoor equipment retailers.??? It is a well known fact that you are courting disaster. It has to come from Eddie Bauer or ll Bean. grin

Edited by hikermor (05/27/20 03:08 PM)

#296250 - 05/27/20 03:33 PM Re: Gear Review: The Seventy2 [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
The 48 oz nalgene canteen fit into these and the whole rig goes into the outside pocket, invisible when zipped. Many variants are available from numerous sources, including a less expensive 8 oz version.

The outside pocket is semi-transparent. I think people will notice it.

Jeanette Isabelle

#296251 - 05/27/20 03:37 PM Re: Gear Review: The Seventy2 [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

I seem to recall seeing them in an anodized grey/charcoal colour. That might fit your plan.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.